I think that Google might be penalizing people ordering Pixel 3 through Project Fi

skink123

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I though someone might find this information useful. I've ordered my two Pixel's 3 on October 10th and got the estimated delivery for December 12-13th. Today I started researching what delivery dates other are other people receiving. I couldn't find anyone with date for December so I opened a support case with Google. They told me that they have two different stocks - one for Google store and one for Project Fi. But I've checked again during the call and if I try to order from Google store phones with the same configuration and choosing Project Fi as an option I see that estimated delivery date is October 22th. They told me that they cannot fix it and I need to cancel and order again. I don't want to do this because it would require another credit inquiry. I think what is really going on is that they are penalizing people who order phone using a promotion from Project Fi that when you buy 2 phones you receive $799 discount. I wonder if someone has a similar situation. Is it legal?

Thanks,
Paul

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I think what is really going on is that they are penalizing people who order phone using a promotion from Project Fi that when you buy 2 phones you receive $799 discount.

In order to evaluate whether or not a discussion is even possible, we need to answer the following questions:

What evidence do you have for this claim?
What evidence do you have to dispute Google's statements that there are two different stocks?
What evidence do you have to dispute Google's claim that they cannot fix it on your existing order?

Wild assertions that are introduced without evidence must be dismissed outright. We honestly can't even have a discussion on whether or not it's possible for your claims to be probable, or more probable than their claims because there's no reason for anyone to accept that what you're claiming is even possible, and nothing that is not established as being possible can be given any serious probability.

This sounds like it is entirely irrational speculation, so whether or not it's legal ... kind of a moot point. What you're proposing is definitely not happening, but if it were, the legality would be somewhat more difficult to determine because a lot of information would be required - such as identifying the reasons and mechanisms involved.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That sounds legitimate.

Google Play Store and Project-Fi are two different services even if they use the same storefront.
Non-Project Fi orders are going to be split between Play store, Electronic stores, and Verizon.
Where 90% of the Project-Fi users are going to order from the Project-fi store. To top it of Project-Fi users probably have stronger upgrade tendencies because to even hear about it you have to be a bit of a techie.

So it would make sense the Project-Fi allotment would clear out quicker. I guess I got lucky as I ordered mine from the GPS as a "unlocked" phone specifically because I wan't the extended coverage in one lump instead of $7 month and that was the only way to do it. I got a Oct 22-23 date.

skink123

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
This IS definitely happening and I can prove it:
  • This is the screenshot from my order I put on October 10th that is showing delivery date for December 12-13th:
    20181012135833.png
  • And these are the screenshot from today (October 12th) from google store when I choose the same configuration for the phones and also choose Project Fi as carrier:
    20181012135849.png
    20181012135906.png
I also opened a ticket with Google and their phone calls are recorded. I spoke with 2 people during this call - one from Google support and one from Project Fi. Both of them told that there are 2 different stocks - one for phones ordered from Google store and one for phones ordered from Project Fi.

The only difference between my order and what I can see trying to put order today is that I'm not using the promotion today.

Can you explain this?

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Dud how does 2 stocks, one on back-order to December automatically mean that they are trying to get back at you for trying use the promotion.

They have 2 stocks. 2 stocks means one might see more traffic. You are talking about a huge discount (rebate) for ordering 2 from Project Fi. A deal not available on Google Play store. Doesn't it make sense that, they would see higher traffic and therefore have increased delivery times?

Ziich47

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I recommend you go the thread where people are posting what they ordered and their delivery dates. If they are punishing people for using the deal then you should see that reflected in the orders and order dates for others

myeatts7

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...l-messed-up-my-delivery-date.html#post6364840

I had an order with an expected date of 10/22 through the store but had to cancel it to order through fi to get the promotional credit and now my date is 11/15. See my thread above. It seems as though there are two different supply streams so to say. Google Store and Project Fi are two different entities. Google Store orders and Project Fi orders are not one in the same I have learned and they cannot transfer them back and forth. They will not, i repeat, will not change the expected delivery date, ive tried.

Basically Fi is another supplier just like Verizon or Best Buy. It is frustrating though as it does seem that the allotment of devices for project Fi is a lot less than any other supplier. From what I understand and was told is that each supplier has their own allotment and then each supplier has their own line of customers. Its not like there is one allotment and then no matter what supplier you order from every customer is put in the same line.

I wouldnt go as far as to say its a legal thing. Just a frustrating issue they might be able to solve in a better way.

skink123

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
That's not true. First of all this is not a discount that you receive for phone price but in service credit. Secondly it only applies to the people who order the second phone for other NEW person in their family plan and activate it. So very few people will be willing to do this compared to just someone who is buying one phone. I think if the same company is using two subsidiaries to sell a product and using a promotion from one of them is giving you different conditions it's a fraud. Remember if you would buy it from Project Fi WITHOUT this promo it you wouldn't get the extended waiting time.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
That's not true. First of all this is not a discount that you receive for phone price but in service credit. Secondly it only applies to the people who order the second phone for other NEW person in their family plan and activate it. So very few people will be willing to do this compared to just someone who is buying one phone. I think if the same company is using two subsidiaries to sell a product and using a promotion from one of them is giving you different conditions it's a fraud. Remember if you would buy it from Project Fi WITHOUT this promo it you wouldn't get the extended waiting time.
This is the part that is baseless, irrational and OBVIOUSLY false.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Even if what you are suggesting is true it's not fraud

myeatts7

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Remember if you would buy it from Project Fi WITHOUT this promo it you wouldn't get the extended waiting time.

This is not true.

First - Did you order through Project Fi (fi.google.com) or from the google store? Simply ordering from the google store and selecting the fi option will not get you the credit. I know this, I talked to them about it. To get the credit you have to order from fi.google.com or through the fi app itself.

Second - Through Fi, you can only order one phone at a time, you cannot order two phones at one time. So you order one phone and would get an expected date and then go through the process again and get another date for the second phone. I know, I had do do this. The expected date for my first order did not magically change once I placed my second order.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Being placed into a different que because you want the 2 for 1 may be a bummer, and maybe you feel penalized, but it is not fraud. Slander on the other hand.....

myeatts7

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@myeatts7 I ordered though Project Fi and I ordered two phones at once as you can see on my previous screenshot.

Very interesting, I have tried to order two phones at once through Fi and the app many times and cannot. I go all the way through right before confirm purchase and cannot get two at once. Even the Fi support said it had to be two orders from the same email account. Does your email confirmation have the project Fi header on it?Capture.PNG

Like I said, selecting the Fi option in the google store does not make it a Fi order.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
@methodman89 I think you should take a minute and read the article from the link.
Okay, I read it. Isn't it a promotion that gives you a service credit spread over 24 months? If not, what are the terms? If so, it does not apply.
With your broad interpretation, I should be able to use the coupons that the person in front of me at the grocery store used if I am buying the same product. Amazon would need to stop having lightning deals. The car you bought which your neighbor paid less for entitles you to damages? Nope.

skink123

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
@methodman89 How would you explain the situation that Google is also validating the condition for trade-in program - https://store.google.com/intl/en-US_us/about/device-trade-in.html? Based on the paragraph:
"Trade-In Period” means 30 calendar days from the date You accept the Initial Trade-In Quote through the Websites."
I won't receive price from the "Initial Trade-In Quote" because my new phones will arrive long after 30 days.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
As you do not want to address my response above, and you want me to get into case law of the legality of Googles trade in program, this is my last post in this thread. I wish you luck with your purchase, and do hope you get your credits, as I have done myself in the past. I paid 470 out the door for my S9 plus. I don't think Samsung will be refunding money to anyone who paid more before or after me. If your legal argument had merit, I am sure class action law firms would be all over this by now. Take care.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87