10-22-2018 12:45 PM
194 123 ...
tools
    Nex Pixel 3 has only 4GB of memory for a flagship. Too small? Share your opinions
    10-14-2018 01:38 AM
    Odd question for a first post ...

4GB will be fine.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-14-2018 01:54 AM
    It'll be OK now, but it hardly makes the P3s future proof. It will be comparatively small and potentially inadequate well before the supported lifespan of the device ends.
    10-14-2018 02:18 AM
    To the two previous replies, there's no way to tell that. Allegedly Google has optimized the phone to work with it. Time will tell.

The iThing seems to be ok with 4GB RAM :shrug:
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-14-2018 02:36 AM
    The ideal would be 6gb to more ram, but with 4gb it will survive. I'm using an og pixel XL and it has 4gb too, it isn't that bad, usually I didn't remember it is just it of ram and it is going great
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-14-2018 05:40 AM
    My s8+ still runs well with 4gb of ram. I think that's fine for a smartphone right now. They're not gaming rigs after all...
    10-14-2018 05:58 AM
    It makes a huge difference how well the ram is optimized...... and Google are the Masters of software, just like Apple... which is why the top of the line iPhone also only has 4 gigs of RAM. A lot of companies toss numbers around to make sales, but huge amounts of ram aren't necessary if it's optimized properly. Remember the pixel line is designed to run Daydream, that's a pretty intensive gaming experience ;-)

Although if they're not going to be giving us larger amounts of expensive internal hardware they shouldn't be charging these ridiculously increasing prices.
    10-14-2018 08:36 AM
    It makes a huge difference how well the ram is optimized...... and Google are the Masters of software, just like Apple... which is why the top of the line iPhone also only has 4 gigs of RAM. A lot of companies toss numbers around to make sales, but huge amounts of ram aren't necessary if it's optimized properly. Remember the pixel line is designed to run Daydream, that's a pretty intensive gaming experience ;-)

Although if they're not going to be giving us larger amounts of expensive internal hardware they shouldn't be charging these ridiculously increasing prices.

I agree with all of this except the prices thing. These prices are directly inline with current phone costs.

Yes, 4gb is perfect and will work for the next 3 years. Again more ram doesn't mean anything as anyone with a galaxy can tell you, it's still laggy as hell and hiccups compardd to the optimized pixel OS on a pixel phone.
    10-14-2018 10:06 AM
    It'll be fine, the smaller battery compared to the previous XL models has me a bit worried though...
    10-14-2018 10:38 AM
    I agree with ndonniene, I am coming from a Note 8, and I do have lag from time to time. I think that the 4GB will be optimized for the Pixel. I am not concerned.
    10-14-2018 10:45 AM
    It'll be fine, the smaller battery compared to the previous XL models has me a bit worried though...
    Very small difference
    10-14-2018 12:01 PM
    Based on all the people who had issues with the 2 XL getting sluggish, I wish these phones would of had 6 GB of ram.
    10-14-2018 01:27 PM
    Based on all the people who had issues with the 2 XL getting sluggish, I wish these phones would of had 6 GB of ram.
    Well... If Apple can do it, so can Google. (Optimize their hardware/software).
    10-14-2018 01:28 PM
    Nex Pixel 3 has only 4GB of memory for a flagship. Too small? Share your opinions
    Too small. Note9 has bigger battery, more ram, more memory and expandable memory for the same price. I love the Pixel camera and fast updates but if they are going to give me so much less the price is way too high. I would pay $850 for the 128gb model only due to the nice camera.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-14-2018 01:44 PM
    My 2xl runs great with 4gb of RAM, so i don't see performance being an issue. What the 2xl stinks at is keeping apps open in the background. I'm not sure if it's an adaptive battery side effect or a ran management issue, but apps seem to get closed pretty once you open a couple more.

More RAM definitely would've been appreciated and it's hard to justify sticking with 4 when 6 is becoming normal on $300 Chinese budget phones
    J Dubbs, DMP89145 and codeda like this.
    10-14-2018 01:59 PM
    iPhones only have 4GB of RAM.

Weird question.
    10-14-2018 04:05 PM
    My Pixel 2 XL still runs buttery smooth, I didn't have the problem that MKBHD had.
    wwickedd likes this.
    10-14-2018 04:11 PM
    4GB of RAM is fine for now I guess but I kinda wish the battery on the 3 XL was at least the same size as the 2 XL or just a little bit bigger.
    10-14-2018 05:28 PM
    Something I wonder about, if having more RAM let's us keep more apps open, wouldn't that also drain more battety keeping those apps open? I mean I'm sure it's in a lower powered state, but still, it should cause some draw.

As for 4GB of RAM not being enough, there are days when I've got a ton of apps sitting open in memory. As far as I know, when Android senses it doesn't have enough RAM to operate properly, it will kill the least used apps sitting open in memory to free up RAM. So more RAM just means it'll hold more apps open in memory. Isn't that how Android is supposed to work?
    10-14-2018 05:55 PM
    Running pixel 2 xl never seen lag.... LagGate?
    J Dubbs and wwickedd like this.
    10-14-2018 06:02 PM
    First post!

I haven't read all the posts, but I'm with those who have mentioned optimization. The reason why, IMO, that Samsung and other OEMs are using 6GB is in part based on their customization of the OS. We all know Samsung loves to customize the UI and have their usual bloat.

So yes, as the UI gets more customized, it's likely more RAM will be needed to support said customization and also unnecessary apps. I'm no expert in resource allocation within an OS, but I understand try basics.

Google, with the Pixel line, are giving consumers as efficient and optimized OS as possible. What we do with it is on us. If we layer 3rd party widgets and skins and have 100 apps, well that's on us.

In short (too late), I believe 4GB is plenty to run the Pixel 3. It's similar with the iPhone. The XS Max is supposed to have 4GB as well. They don't need 6GB bc they have their OS pretty much locked down.
    10-14-2018 06:19 PM
    @WarBeagle Mighty fine first post! Welcome aboard.
    WarBeagle and Golfdriver97 like this.
    10-14-2018 06:23 PM
    First post!

I haven't read all the posts, but I'm with those who have mentioned optimization. The reason why, IMO, that Samsung and other OEMs are using 6GB is in part based on their customization of the OS. We all know Samsung loves to customize the UI and have their usual bloat.

So yes, as the UI gets more customized, it's likely more RAM will be needed to support said customization and also unnecessary apps. I'm no expert in resource allocation within an OS, but I understand try basics.

Google, with the Pixel line, are giving consumers as efficient and optimized OS as possible. What we do with it is on us. If we layer 3rd party widgets and skins and have 100 apps, well that's on us.

In short (too late), I believe 4GB is plenty to run the Pixel 3. It's similar with the iPhone. The XS Max is supposed to have 4GB as well. They don't need 6GB bc they have their OS pretty much locked down.
    Solid answer. Also think Samsung treats their phones like gaming PCs where the "best stats" win!
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-14-2018 07:06 PM
    @WarBeagle Mighty fine first post! Welcome aboard.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    DMP89145 and Golfdriver97 like this.
    10-14-2018 07:08 PM
    for the time being it's ok
    if you want to keep your phone longer for future proofing then answer is No. need at least 6Gb or 8Gb
    10-14-2018 07:33 PM
194 123 ...