Ambient Display new animation & flash

cbcasas

Jun 1, 2018
Visit site
Does anybody's new Pixel 3 screen "flash" when pressing the power button on the ambient display? When you press power from ambient, it has a new seamless animation but I noticed it "flashes" on the initial power button press.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody's new Pixel 3 screen "flash" when pressing the power button on the ambient display? When you press power from ambient, it has a new seamless animation but I noticed it "flashes" on the initial power button press.

I keep trying to reproduce this, but can't get it to go. If I can trigger it, I'll report back.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

No....but it happened to me on the 2XL when it first came out

bossman013

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel 3 does this as well. Its just a quick white flash of the entire screen when the ambient display wakes to a notification. Not when I hit the power button, but if the screen is totally asleep (alwayson set to off, and new notifications set to on) and then I get a text, etc. the screen will flash just as it engages but not if I unlock or hit the power button from there. Ive also noticed if in case where the entire screen doesn't flash, the time or text on the ambient screen will sometimes be at full brightness for a half second. Hoping it can be fixed with an update. Wish Google would acknowledge the issue.

bossman013

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Ambient screen flash (Pixel 3)

Trying to find out if anyone has seen or heard of any acknowledgement from Google regarding this. My new Pixel 3 (Verizon; non XL) since day 1 has had an annoying issue with the screen flashing when ambient screen engages. I have my settings with alwayson set to off, and new notifications set to on. If the screen is asleep and I get a text or any notification, the ambient screen wakes and will initially make the entire screen flash white very quickly.

I do not get a flash of the screen in any other scenario, it only seems to be when the screens totally asleep and the ambient screen wakes. I can unlock the phone or hit the power button to fully wake the phone to my home screen with no flashing. Its not every single time, but its *very* often. I do notice sometimes when it doesn't flash the whole screen, the time or text on the ambient display will be at full brightness when it first wakes for a split second and then will go to the dim text Im used to seeing.

Tried factory resetting twice. Rebooting or toggling the ambient screen settings doesn't seem to have any affect. Issue can be reproduced without installing any other apps outside of whats loaded on the phone out of the box.

Anyone having this problem, or know of any response from Google on this? Possibly related to the memory management issue, or firmware?

Thanks!

Flytetymex

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: Ambient screen flash (Pixel 3)

What I have noticed is my lock screen is a bit laggy when it first comes up. The notifications and even the scrolling animations are real choppy.

bossman013

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

What I have noticed is my lock screen is a bit laggy when it first comes up. The notifications and even the scrolling animations are real choppy.

I've only seen this occasionally. Typically with the animation of going from an app to the home screen, but its much more rare than the screen flashing on ambient screen.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

This is a problem for the P2XL as well - both unlocking and ambient screen. And a problem for the Nexus 6P, as my 6P does this occasionally. It's been a long time since I followed this, but AFAIK Google has never acknowledged this as a software glitch and maintained it's a hardware problem. IMO seems unlikely since the problem recurs on very different hardware from different makers.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

This is a problem for the P2XL as well - both unlocking and ambient screen. And a problem for the Nexus 6P, as my 6P does this occasionally. It's been a long time since I followed this, but AFAIK Google has never acknowledged this as a software glitch and maintained it's a hardware problem. IMO seems unlikely since the problem recurs on very different hardware from different makers.

https://youtu.be/UNasN7M_3vg

Last year my 2XL did it after a month and nothing solved it except replacing it. The replacement 2XL never had the issue. Mine only flashed on close.

bossman013

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and submitted an order for a new replacement since Im still within the 14 day window with Verizon. Ill report back once I get the new device to see if its having the same issue or not. Fingers crossed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not only on power - I have a 2, and on start (or restart) after about 3 or 4 seconds, the screen seems to "slide over" - to the same screen. Definitely a screen driver problem, but it happens once every turn-on (or screen turn on), so who cares? My car isn't perfect either, and it cost a lot more.

(Anyone have a 20 year old healthy body? I want to trade this one in. Things like that are important. A screen flash? Meh.)

bossman013

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Not only on power - I have a 2, and on start (or restart) after about 3 or 4 seconds, the screen seems to "slide over" - to the same screen. Definitely a screen driver problem, but it happens once every turn-on (or screen turn on), so who cares? My car isn't perfect either, and it cost a lot more.

(Anyone have a 20 year old healthy body? I want to trade this one in. Things like that are important. A screen flash? Meh.)

Point taken, but mine is so bad that I got a notification while driving with my phone on my passenger seat at night and I thought for a second I got tagged by a traffic camera or something. It lit up the entire interior of my car like lightning. So... while not the biggest problem in the world, still a problem Id like to not have after paying so much for this device.

bossman013

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and submitted an order for a new replacement since Im still within the 14 day window with Verizon. Ill report back once I get the new device to see if its having the same issue or not. Fingers crossed.

Well, new phone came in. Same *exact* issue.

Guess I'm gonna just hope an OTA fixes it. Annoying.