Pros and Cons?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What are the Pros and Cons of this phone? I am thinking of getting one for my son and also thinking of switching over myself.
Pro - best camera period
always get updates first

Con - no headphone jack
no hdmi out
no led notifications
not a big battery
no external sd card outlet
high price tag
big useless notch

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What are the Pros and Cons of this phone? I am thinking of getting one for my son and also thinking of switching over myself.

Pros:
-Great camera
-Great stereo speakers
-Great display
-Fast updates
-Get to the point OS/very smooth
-Great battery life
-Wireless charging
-Ip68 water resistant
-Google photo free storage

Cons:
-Price
-Can't purchase insurance from Google if u didn't order with phone in beginning
-Gestures half baked
-Where u can purchase only Google/Verizon

Updated the list forgot some

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Pros:
Best photo camera on a smartphone
Large, impressive display
Great battery life
Fast Android updates
Stereo speakers
Wide-angle selfie camera (if that's your thing)
Unlimited photo/video upload to Google photos at original resolution for 3 years

Cons:
Big, ugly notch
128GB max storage
Only 4GB of RAM
Costs too much for what it offers
Only one rear camera
Weird vibrations when listening to speakers at high volumes
Gestures aren't very smooth
Fast wireless charging only available on Pixel Stand
Apps, other than Google apps, aren't optimized for the notch
No 4K 60 fps video recording
Sound in recorded videos is lacking

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Pros:
-Better screen than 2XL
-Wireless charging
-Includes USB-C earbuds
-Monthly updates
-Fast/Smooth OS
-Ability to disable notch baked in the software (I keep mine enabled)

Cons:
-Audio from videos sound lacking
-Battery smaller than 2XL(still get good battery life thanks to SD 845 Chip though)
-Bigger notch than others

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm amazed as I read the shortcomings. A big notch. Really? My Pixel 3 has no notch. Bad battery life. Really? I go two days between charges. Oh, wait, I don't spend the day playing games and I have to "social media" to drain battery and interfere with real people. Only 128Gb. Really? I ordered the 64Gb.That's more than I actually need.

My favorite. Only one camera. So, buy a phone with four cameras and ignore the fact that Pixel takes great photos.

I appreciate the fact the Google makes many software features on the newest phone available to existing phones. I like running Android 9 while some users are eagerly awaiting Android 8 on their fairly new phone.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm amazed as I read the shortcomings. A big notch. Really? My Pixel 3 has no notch. Bad battery life. Really? I go two days between charges. Oh, wait, I don't spend the day playing games and I have to "social media" to drain battery and interfere with real people. Only 128Gb. Really? I ordered the 64Gb.That's more than I actually need.

My favorite. Only one camera. So, buy a phone with four cameras and ignore the fact that Pixel takes great photos.

I appreciate the fact the Google makes many software features on the newest phone available to existing phones. I like running Android 9 while some users are eagerly awaiting Android 8 on their fairly new phone.

Why does it amaze you that what someone considers a shortcoming may not be what you consider a shortcoming? That's a pretty normal and regular occurrence in the world of tech products.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
A big notch. Really? My Pixel 3 has no notch.
The complaint is not about the Pixel 3, it's about the Pixel 3 XL

Bad battery life. Really? I go two days between charges. Oh, wait, I don't spend the day playing games and I have to "social media" to drain battery and interfere with real people.
Because a small battery is sufficient for you, doesn't mean it is for everyone. And if other batteries in other phones allow people to play games and use social media as they wish, and the Pixels do not offer the same capability, than this is a valid "Con" of the Pixels.

Only 128Gb. Really? I ordered the 64Gb. That's more than I actually need.
The keyword being "I". This thread was not meant to be solely for you, but for what others see as Pros and Cons. And for many, having a mere 64GB is not desirable. I, for one, have a 64GB Note 8 with a 256GB SD card inside. The fact that Google is asking people to spend $100 for a measly 64GB upgrade, when you can buy a 256GB SD card for $15 is an absolute ripoff.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

As much as I love our forum community here, we do allow our individual biases to come through on posts like these. If you're looking for more proper reviews, I'd suggest a few of the writers in the community.

More favorable:

Andrew's review here at AC: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3-review

Stephen's review at 9to5Google:https://9to5google.com/2018/10/15/google-pixel-3-pixel-3-xl-review/

More balanced:

Dieter's review at The Verge:https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/15...w-camera-features-screen-battery-price-photos

More critical:

Ron's review at Arstechnica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...tware-but-google-just-isnt-a-hardware-leader/

Last edited:

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 2 owner opinions and observations:

Pros
  • pure/stock Android experience
  • fast OS and security updates
  • awesome camera
  • dedicated security co-processor (not entirely sure what this brings, but it's a feature)
  • very fast and smooth performance (extraoplated from my P2 experience and time with P3 demo units)
  • efficient battery use
  • neato integrated features like squeeze for Google Assistant and Google Lens
  • Project Fi compatibility
  • glass back looks and feels great
  • wireless charging

Cons
  • awesomely ugly notch on the 3XL
  • no headphone jack, but USB-C earbuds are included
  • glass back and associated fragility

And here's a list of issues reported by Pixel 3/3XL users. Interesting read:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-pixel-3-xl-issues-problems-help-list/

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
As others have already mentioned the pros and cons pretty much.
Bad audio while recording that hopefully gets changed is my main let down. https://youtu.be/0COrqmuoVt4

Definitely the thing most likely to keep me from pulling the trigger. Their initial reasoning was not encouraging though, given the described it as a feature. I'm hoping they'll get enough complaints to have to provide an update to fix it.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Definitely the thing most likely to keep me from pulling the trigger. Their initial reasoning was not encouraging though, given the described it as a feature. I'm hoping they'll get enough complaints to have to provide an update to fix it.

I believe they already said that it's fixable through software. Several sites already reported this and Google did acknowledged it also.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Why does it amaze you that what someone considers a shortcoming may not be what you consider a shortcoming? That's a pretty normal and regular occurrence in the world of tech products.
That's mostly true. But the griping about only camera is pretty weird. I mean the point of the extra cameras is to get better pictures. If Google can get that kind of quality without the extra cameras, why would anyone care?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch