10-28-2018 11:34 AM
47 12
tools
    I've used my new Pixel 3 XL for about 4-5 hours and I'm noticing in burn in already. It's on the top next to the notch. I've been watching videos on in full screen though. Not blacking out the notch area or anything. Anyone else seeing this? I just turned on the option to hide to the notch maybe 10 minutes max yesterday... Didn't like it. I'm trying to get a picture of it.
    10-25-2018 09:35 PM
    Happening that quickly would be temporary image retention and not burn in.
    DarkNeo likes this.
    10-25-2018 09:38 PM
    Hoping it goes away then, been watching videos full screen for about 30 minutes
    Happening that quickly would be temporary image retention and not burn in.
    10-25-2018 09:44 PM
    I don't think messing with the notch in deveolper setting is a good choice , should wait until Google puts it In the settings by default . Samsung phones use to have the navigation bar option in black but soon took it off because of screen burn in even 3rd party I'd wait until Google brings it . just my opinion
    robpz16 likes this.
    10-25-2018 09:46 PM
    They really need to ditch OLED. It is an inherently defective technology.
    10-26-2018 01:50 AM
    Too bad they can't fit a plasma display in this form factor. And get rid of the heat. And the extra power requirement. And...
    10-26-2018 02:39 AM
    Too bad they can't fit a plasma display in this form factor. And get rid of the heat. And the extra power requirement. And...
    ...it also suffers from image retention and or burn in.
    10-26-2018 07:23 AM
    Um... What? Respectfully, that's nonsense.
    DMP89145 and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    10-26-2018 02:41 PM
    I've used my new Pixel 3 XL for about 4-5 hours and I'm noticing in burn in already. It's on the top next to the notch. I've been watching videos on in full screen though. Not blacking out the notch area or anything. Anyone else seeing this? I just turned on the option to hide to the notch maybe 10 minutes max yesterday... Didn't like it. I'm trying to get a picture of it.
    I can't see any. Where exactly are you seeing it? In the notification area? What do you see? Ghost images of notifications?
    10-26-2018 02:43 PM
    ...it also suffers from image retention and or burn in.
    Yeah, I thought plasma was big on burn in
    10-26-2018 02:45 PM
    It's next to the notch area. Basically where the notifications are. That whole area in both sides are always just a different shade that the rest of the screen.
    10-26-2018 02:47 PM
    There's no such thing as defective technology.
    10-26-2018 02:47 PM
    It's next to the notch area. Basically where the notifications are. That whole area in both sides are always just a different shade that the rest of the screen.
    Are you sure that's by design of the app you are using?
    10-26-2018 02:49 PM
    Just checked mine with both dark and light wallpaper. Absolutely no burn in anywhere
    10-26-2018 02:52 PM
    Do you see this with a dark background or a light one?
    10-26-2018 02:59 PM
    Um... What? Respectfully, that's nonsense.
    AMOLED screens can get a permanent burn in, and has been their biggest drawback since their inception. LCD doesn't, but may get temporary image retention.
    10-26-2018 03:43 PM
    AMOLED screens can get a permanent burn in, and has been their biggest drawback since their inception. LCD doesn't, but may get temporary image retention.
    Yes, they can. But that doesn't mean that they automatically will. When used properly and in properly designed systems this won't be an issue.

The fact that this is possible doesn't make this technology "inherently defective", and it doesn't mean anyone should ditch it.
    10-26-2018 04:27 PM
    Yes, they can. But that doesn't mean that they automatically will. When used properly and in properly designed systems this won't be an issue.

The fact that this is possible doesn't make this technology "inherently defective", and it doesn't mean anyone should ditch it.
    I use my phone quite a bit, which withhold make me more susceptible to it. Not to mention I generally don't like the color calibration on them. So it's not so much me ditching that's technology, but more refusing to adopt it in the first place.
    10-26-2018 04:36 PM
    All the OLED screens are bound to have lcd burn no matter what. But they also display a much vibrant image than any other type of screen.
    10-26-2018 04:56 PM
    All the OLED screens are bound to have lcd burn no matter what. But they also display a much vibrant image than any other type of screen.
    OLED = Organic Light Emitting Diode
    LCD = Liquid Crystal Display

These are totally different technologies and do not work the same way. So your statement that "All of the OLED screens are bound to have lcd burn no matter what." makes no sense.
    Lobwedgephil likes this.
    10-26-2018 05:17 PM
    I use my phone quite a bit, which withhold make me more susceptible to it. Not to mention I generally don't like the color calibration on them. So it's not so much me ditching that's technology, but more refusing to adopt it in the first place.
    Used my 2XL all day long for 1 year with no burn in....ironically my V20 with it's LCD screen had to be sent to LG for permanent image retention.
    10-26-2018 05:30 PM
    Used my 2XL all day long for 1 year with no burn in....ironically my V20 with it's LCD screen had to be sent to LG for permanent image retention.
    The V20 does suffer from temporary retention, but I haven't heard of a permanent burn in. You can't judge all LCD's by that either, as this seems a bad design on that particular LCD. None of the other LCD phones had that issue, at least not wide spread.
    10-26-2018 06:27 PM
    Both.
    Do you see this with a dark background or a light one?
    10-26-2018 07:22 PM
    I was thinking it was that. I know Instagram the top is a little different shade, but that's by design. On seeing it in Chrome, when the upper part is all white.
    Are you sure that's by design of the app you are using?
    10-26-2018 07:23 PM
    Care to post some photos?
    10-26-2018 08:39 PM
47 12