Time to talk about Titan.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
So per @mustang7757, we need to remember the Titans or in this case the Titan M security chip that everyone seems to ignore that's built into the Pixel 3.

This is another great step forward in technology security on a personal and granular level. On device security that is a reflection of the same hardware security Google uses for their servers is definitely something to be recognized.

For those who may be unfamiliar*

https://www.wired.com/story/google-titan-m-security-chip-pixel-3/

What do you guys think about Google's decision to add additional hardware security to the Pixel 3?

*credit to @mustang7757 for the reference link

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So per @mustang7757, we need to remember the Titans or in this case the Titan M security chip that everyone seems to ignore that's built into the Pixel 3.

This is another great step forward in technology security on a personal and granular level. On device security that is a reflection of the same hardware security Google uses for their servers is definitely something to be recognized.

For those who may be unfamiliar*

https://www.wired.com/story/google-titan-m-security-chip-pixel-3/

What do you guys think about Google's decision to add additional hardware security to the Pixel 3?

*credit to @mustang7757 for the reference link

According to that article Google made that chip ? Does it mean Google down the road might be doing their own chips for it's phone?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
This is very interesting , would like to see them do it

You know, Qcom does a good job but I think were they want to go with all this AI/ML tech they'll need to look at that at some point.

To me, what this says is that Google wants to build on the security for the individual user. From an AA article,

"For example, Android smartphones have been using Verified Boot for years and newer devices already make use of Android Verified Boot 2.0. The key difference with Titan M appears to be that the keys for verifying the system image and boot process, and handling rollbacks are now off the main SoC. This makes it even harder for malware to spoof, fake, or tamper with the Android system image."

I think building the Titan M into the Pixel 3 says that if they want to use custom silicone to help them reach their goals for their devices, they'll do it.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
You know, in past interviews with certain principles at Google, they said they didn't have an interest in doing custom silicone for Pixel, but then you see something like this and you wonder if they'll eventually head down that path.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You know, in past interviews with certain principles at Google, they said they didn't have an interest in doing custom silicone for Pixel, but then you see something like this and you wonder if they'll eventually head down that path.

I think they will , no one would add a security chip when they can save cost this I believe will pave the way there going and if they can make it's own chips and software that's something . Google on to something that might shake up the industry in a few years

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
It's the reason why the Pixel 3s should be the only Android phones to buy if you're very security-minded, like I am. If I don't have an iPhone, then I'll use a Pixel and vice versa. I'll never get a non-secure device again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's the reason why the Pixel 3s should be the only Android phones to buy if you're very security-minded, like I am. If I don't have an iPhone, then I'll use a Pixel and vice versa. I'll never get a non-secure device again.

3 phones I trust in this order
1. Pixel/iPhone
2. Samsung because of Knox platform
That's it for the list....

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
3 phones I trust in this order
1. Pixel/iPhone
2. Samsung because of Knox platform
That's it for the list....

I don't feel secure using Samsung devices because I have only received security updates on a quarterly basis. I only used to purchase unlocked Samsung devices.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I think they will , no one would add a security chip when they can save cost this I believe will pave the way there going and if they can make it's own chips and software that's something . Google on to something that might shake up the industry in a few years

The more they contribute to the hardware/software, the more control they have over the outcome. Control is good.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
According to that article Google made that chip ? Does it mean Google down the road might be doing their own chips for it's phone?

I didn't read the whole article but I guess it depends on how we define made. I'm guessing they developed it but someone else manufactured it. I'm probably stating the obvious but I'm good at that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I didn't read the whole article but I guess it depends on how we define made. I'm guessing they developed it but someone else manufactured it. I'm probably stating the obvious but I'm good at that.

"created a custom provisioning process. By building the chipset itself, it has insight into its manufacturing from start to finish"

That's highlighted in the article
So im taking it as they did manufacturer it .

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

Legally "made" by Google. It's a custom silicon design, but built by someone else. I mean, Google doesn't own any chip manufacturing plants that I'm aware of.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Legally "made" by Google. It's a custom silicon design, but built by someone else. I mean, Google doesn't own any chip manufacturing plants that I'm aware of.

Apple hasn't actually manufactured their own chips in the past either, though I believe they were looking into doing their own fab plant and may have already done it. But generally they've had other manufacturers handle their components or assembly, like Samsung, LG, Sharp, TSMC, and Foxconn. AFAIK, Samsung is one of the few OEMs that could actually self source most, if not all, their components.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A silicon foundry isn't something you throw up in a few months, so I doubt that Google is actually doing the chips.

But if it's their chip, and if they don't put the design of the chip in the public domain, it becomes a matter of "pay Google for the right to use the Titan M or sell an insecure phone".

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member