Pixel dropping their price - they are punishing early adopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You may feel betrayed now, but you can get your revenge next year. Wait till Black Friday 2019 and the Pixel 4 will be discounted.

Knowing what I know now, I'll wait an extra month to save.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance but you don't have much to lose by waiting.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I suppose this kind of thing will happen when smartphone manufacturers release phones in the fall - it's risky, because Black Friday/Cyber Monday, Christmas, and Boxing Day sales are right around the corner.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As I pointed out, the BF deals from Verizon we're discounted much more steeply than the offer you listed. They were giving them a 50% discount, where the one you showed, $150 off, is less than 19%.
That's not hte same. Verizon gives you discounts but you have to use on verizon, it has conditions. I have no problems with those deals as they are not worth it to me; they come with real cost. But this discount is straight vanilla no conditions.

Pixel 2 did not do this, i dont' think pixel 1 did either. Dropping the price like this 1 month will deter first month sales in the future which is a big deal and overalll not healthy for pixel sales.

But there were threads in this forum the week the phone launched speculating about what the BF deals were going to be, so it's not like the information wasn't readily available to you.
speculating is not the same as information.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Correct, Pickups especially hold their value very well. You won't see many discounts when a brand new redesigned vehicle comes out unless inventory starts to build on dealer lots.

I know car dealers do this; but I didn't hold google's bizz practice to the same level as sleazy car dealerships. But as I mentioned, better run car companies like Tesla do not do this. It destroy's customers loyalty.

tech Early adopters take the risk of QC issues. lots of time companies actually incentive early purchasers. I have no problem with paying more if it gets me like 3 months lead, but 1 month after is a F U.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know car dealers do this; but I didn't hold google's bizz practice to the same level as sleazy car dealerships. But as I mentioned, better run car companies like Tesla do not do this. It destroy's customers loyalty.

tech Early adopters take the risk of QC issues. lots of time companies actually incentive early purchasers. I have no problem with paying more if it gets me like 3 months lead, but 1 month after is a F U.

IDK what to say.. I can't understand your point of being upset since you knew Black Friday was coming. Stuff always goes on sale then. If you really want to save money you wait until then and see if the item you want goes on sale.. if it does then buy and if it doesn't you buy it at the price you were expecting.

Carrier, regular stores, everyone is doing sales now.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I feel betrayed by buying one early. Google will not honor the price, an this conveniently happenedjust outside 1 month of the return window. Discounting a device steeply 1 month after release is a real middle finger to the fans of your product..

I would fell that way too. I guess people on here never heard of price matching. I know if I buy something at Costco and a month later they drop the price I ask and receive the difference in price. Nice way to keep a customer happy and not feel slighted.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would fell that way too. I guess people on here never heard of price matching. I know if I buy something at Costco and a month later they drop the price I ask and receive the difference in price. Nice way to keep a customer happy and not feel slighted.

Of course we've heard of price matching. I've never heard of a phone OEM price matching. Comparing Google to Costco is unrealistic. Besides for most of the preorders Black Friday falls beyond 30 days. Verizon used to price match when they had a 30 day price policy but I don't think they do today any more.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Of course we've heard of price matching. I've never heard of a phone OEM price matching. Comparing Google to Costco is unrealistic.

Bingo. OEM's are setup to handle bulk orders that ship by the truck load. At that kind of volume, the cost per phone to ship is almost nothing. Shipping individual phones to individual residences drastically increases the cost of shipping, plus the additional handling needed at the manufacturer to process them. Manufacturers are generally not all that interested in handling consumer orders, so they don't have the same profit motive to be competitive with the likes of big box stores. It's not uncommon to see products cost more direct from the OEM than from an actual retailer during the same time period.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's not hte same. Verizon gives you discounts but you have to use on verizon, it has conditions. I have no problems with those deals as they are not worth it to me; they come with real cost. But this discount is straight vanilla no conditions.

Pixel 2 did not do this, i dont' think pixel 1 did either. Dropping the price like this 1 month will deter first month sales in the future which is a big deal and overalll not healthy for pixel sales.

speculating is not the same as information.

And like I put on another post in this thread, Google's Cyber Monday deal last year was for a free Google mini ($50) + $100 store credit, which equals $150, same as this year's.

No it's not, but you should know it's coming. It's not Google's fault you didn't have the patience to wait for a lower price, take some personal responsibility. I knew it was coming, but made a choice to go ahead anyway.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Again, you knew this was coming. The Pixel launched in late October, when is Black Friday & Cyber Monday? They're the same time every year.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I can’t believe we are still debating about this. Prices go down, get discounts and also have flash sales. And here is a flash news - this applies to all products - quite a normal practice actually. So, get over it and move on.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I think all phone mfg needs to raise the price on phones.
They are selling them too cheap.
Need to go back to having a contract for 30 months before you can get a new phone.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Lol, I can’t believe we are still debating about this. Prices go down, get discounts and also have flash sales. And here is a flash news - this applies to all products - quite a normal practice actually. So, get over it and move on.

People just have to complain about something all the time. It's always someone else's fault but their own. Glad I wasn't raised to be like that.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
What a ridiculous and childish narrative. There is no logical way that anyone can consider a device going on sale to be a punishment against consumers who willingly paid full price for a device prior to it going on sale. Feeling betrayed by a company is completely nonsensical unless you're trusting their written policies and they will not honor their own policies. Did you somehow forget that black friday/cyber monday and this whole holiday season exists?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
People just have to complain about something all the time. It's always someone else's fault but their own. Glad I wasn't raised to be like that.

It's the age of misplaced sense of entitlement. Everyone can decide for themselves whether the price is fair and elect to pay or not to pay. Future price drops might be a consideration but to expect protection from a what is perceived to be an unfair price drop is just baffling to me. I wish the stock market worked like this. I could just fire up my online broker and say, "hey I changed my mind, can you put me down for 10,000 shares for what it cost yesterday?" Or even insurance. "Oh hey, yeah I know I voluntarily declined flood insurance but we really got a ton of rain and the house is underwater so yeah, I changed my mind."

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Again, you knew this was coming. The Pixel launched in late October, when is Black Friday & Cyber Monday? They're the same time every year.

Google is a big enough company that they could throw customers a bone. But since they are Apple wannabe's I doubt that will happen

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google is a big enough company that they could throw customers a bone. But since they are Apple wannabe's I doubt that will happen

I don't see Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. that will "toss a bone" (a.k.a giving a future sale price to past sellers) ever. So I am not sure where you are getting this example from as if it is a Google or Apple thing. If I buy a Note 9 and 1-2 months later there is a sale for it I wouldn't expect a refund if past the return / buyer's remorse period. If they did I would be grateful they even did but most companies won't otherwise they have to just keep extending credits to any buyer and that isn't how retail really works.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site

They are definitely trying to be the iPhone of the Android world, and for good reason. But at least they are discounting their products; Apple never does this. There is some comfort to that since you can buy an Apple product and not have to worry about much remorse. Then again, that is why Apple has good resale value. There are reasons for everything.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Google is a big enough company because they're in the business of making money not giving it away. Which is exactly the opposite of what you're asking for.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't see Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. that will "toss a bone" (a.k.a giving a future sale price to past sellers) ever. So I am not sure where you are getting this example from as if it is a Google or Apple thing. If I buy a Note 9 and 1-2 months later there is a sale for it I wouldn't expect a refund if past the return / buyer's remorse period. If they did I would be grateful they even did but most companies won't otherwise they have to just keep extending credits to any buyer and that isn't how retail really works.

Exactly that's why I didn't pre-order my note 9 got it a month and half later for 850.00 compared full price 1000.00 but didn't get the perks of the pre-order like free wireless charger and few other they had going on . Just didn't want pay full price .

Status
Not open for further replies.