New Pixel 3 - Questions about various functions

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
+1 on Keep. Also allows note sharing with others. Example: I have a Costco list in Keep shared with my wife. Both of us can add, edit and delete items from the list. Keep has option to add checkboxes next to items so one tap on checkbox marks item off list.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Notification problems

I can't find the proper procedure to be able to create a sound notification for my email account and Textra. It worked fine on my old Samsung. What do I need to do to get this fixed? Thanks

What Ive discovered is that some third party applications do not play the selected app notification tone, the Pixel selected notification tone will still play.

Proper procedure however, is to take whatever notification file you create or download, and put it into your notifications folder under the audio folder on the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Close open apps

How do I close all open apps at once. My samsung all I had to do was to hit the left hand button and bring up all inactive apps and delete all of them with 1 click. Thanks

If you use the Back button to get out of all apps, they're closed. The fact that they show on recents is just an easy way to get back to something you used recently.

I was concerned about the data using memory.
Even when you kill an app, it stays in RAM - something has to be in RAM - an app, data, random bytes. And Android prefers apps to remain in RAM. If it needs the space it just kills a background app. You can have almost all of RAM stuffed, and if you need 2GB for some data, bang! and you have it. (This is Android, not Windows - they're almost opposites.)

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Re: Boot up slow.

To take 2 minutes to boot up is not acceptable. My pixel boots up in less than 10 seconds. I would definitely consider doing a master reset of the phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Never timed mine. The only time my Pixel gets shut off is for an update, and I wouldn't consider an update reboot a normal boot.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Charging the pixel 3

Is there a downside to leaving the pixel 3 on the charger stand whenever the phone is not in use?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

To take 2 minutes to boot up is not acceptable. My pixel boots up in less than 10 seconds. I would definitely consider doing a master reset of the phone.

Do you do anything differently other than holding the power key down for 5 seconds? What are the consequents of a master reset ?

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site

Okay, so that we are both on the same page. If your phone is working as you described. Then perhaps, you should consider a system reset. You need to go into about phone and down into advanced and then we'll be system reset. When you reset your phone, you may lose some things however if you backed up everything to Google it should all come back.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Charging the pixel 3

Other than heat? And charging the battery to 100%? (Both of which reduce battery life.) No.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

From completely off (no power) to login screen = ~15 Seconds. Say another 15 seconds to enter PIN and Home screen is ready to roll. (This is on my Pixel 2 XL FWIW but someone from this device forum can chime in with their timed data for comparison purposes.)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Pixel 3 XL 128
Timed with the stopwatch app on my PC, from power OFF to Unlock screen 8.44 seconds.
(I made 3 runs and averaged the results.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Just turned mine off, waited a few seconds, and did a count (as in counting one one thousand, two one thousand), and got a cold boot, PIN entry, and a full draw of the home screen in about 15 seconds.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Okay, so that we are both on the same page. If your phone is working as you described. Then perhaps, you should consider a system reset. You need to go into about phone and down into advanced and then we'll be system reset. When you reset your phone, you may lose some things however if you backed up everything to Google it should all come back.

Thanks. It makes me wonder, if it's working, don't fix it. I'm afraid that all the apps won't reinstall properly. I'm a chicken.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Notifications

If you mean how do you add sound files to your notifications, add them to the existing folder named either notifications or Notifications (you'll only have onw of them - and case matters, which is why I listed them both). Then restart the phone and they should show up when you choose a notification sound.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Close open apps

How do I close all open apps at once. My samsung all I had to do was to hit the left hand button and bring up all inactive apps and delete all of them with 1 click. Thanks

It should be noted that closing all apps serves no useful purpose and actually slows your phone down - granted, minimally, but nonetheless, it does slow it down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellotherefella