How can I get rid of pop-up ads on my Pixel 3 XL

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have tried everything I could to rid the Pixel 3 of pop ups.
These are the instructions I've found. I can't get them to work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app Chrome.
To the right of the address bar, tap More More and then Settings.
Under "Advanced," tap Privacy.
Tap the feature you want to update:

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Re: Pop ups

It is under Site Settings instead of Privacy I think. But mine is already blocked Pop-ups and redirects but somehow I am still getting them on some sites. I don't get them when I was on my Samsung's Chrome browser, only on the Pixel 3.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

These are the instructions I've found. I can't get them to work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

What kind of popups? Can you post a screenshot? Are you getting them only when using Chrome or while using a different app?

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site

For me, it is a link on Flipboard. I read flipboard news articles daily. They are collections from different sources like LA Times, Reuters, Tech sites, etc... some link will open up the Chrome browser for the full article. But some of them will start a page pop up now in like 3 seconds. It have never done that before on my Samsung Tab E or my LG G4 chrome browser.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I don't have the option to use "to the right of the address bar" it's missing. I have the latest version of Chrome. What's next.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't have the option to use "to the right of the address bar" it's missing. I have the latest version of Chrome. What's next.

Well it is hard for anyone to really help. Just saying "a pop up" with no examples, screenshots, or anything makes it pretty impossible for anyone who isn't standing next to you to realize what you are talking about.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 pop ups, but I don't know how to attach them. Please help me out. They both arrived at the same timehttps://photos.app.goo.gl/KQRcv8AoC2CotPzr7.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Most likely they are caused by an app that you downloaded. The usual culprits are cleaners, memory boosters, antivirus, free games, flashlights, photo editors, etc. See this guide.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=901497

In my experience using the Developer Options is the easiest way to find the culprit.

These pop-ups are now creating problems by getting in the way of trying to open links and other functions. I did not install any apps that would make this happen. Is there anything else I can do to fix this or is a reset my only option. Thanks for hanging in there.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

These pop-ups are now creating problems by getting in the way of trying to open links and other functions. I did not install any apps that would make this happen. Is there anything else I can do to fix this or is a reset my only option. Thanks for hanging in there.
You need to identify which app is causing them. That guide can help you, I'd start with the recent apps overview and then try the Developer Options. It can be a bit tedious but there's not much else you can do short of uninstalling apps one by one.

You can take screenshots of the recent apps and running services and post them here, so we can take a look.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

The screenshots are in this thread. I can't find the developer options. I don't have any strange new apps Installed. They were all installed on my old Samsung galaxy s5. Thanks again for your patience.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

The screenshots are in this thread. I can't find the developer options. I don't have any strange new apps Installed. They were all installed on my old Samsung galaxy s5. Thanks again for your patience.
You don't need to have new apps, these ads could have started after an old one was updated from the Play Store, for example.

Please, read that guide that I linked above, there you can find the instructions for troubleshooting this issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Might not be new apps but some app is causing that. That isn't the phone.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Good news, I think. I've not seen any screens being interrupted from pop-ups for the past few hours . I hope the problem is resolved. Thanks to all of you for your help