Fingerprint Swipes

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the original Pixels I've loved the inclusion of the fingerprint gestures to lower/raise the notification bar by swiping down/up on the fingerprint sensor. While the availability of the following may be old news to you, it was a new find to me and is my favorite new tool for the Pixel 3 XL:

In addition to allowing you to reconfigure what up/down swipes do (I left them unaltered, finding that default the most practical), it lets you add left- and right- swipe actions.

These can be configured to any number of things, from toggling the flashlight to media controls to triggering a Tasker function to launching an app and more.

I've set the left swipe as a back button and the right swipe to switch to the most recent app, and am already loving it.

While a few of the reviews seemed to indicate it doesn't work with Pie, I have no issues (including after a restart to see if that would cause any problems.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a shot but right off the bat I have a couple of issues:
1. It only has a 3.4 rating in the Google Play Store; I don't usually install anything under 4.0
2. It hasn't been updated since November 2017; usually an indication that the developer is no longer fixing bugs or making feature updates

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Update: left/right swipe (I have them configured for Back/Recents respectively) seem to work pretty reliably. Up (configured for 'Last app') doesn't seem to work much; certainly not reliably enough to use.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a shot but right off the bat I have a couple of issues:
1. It only has a 3.4 rating in the Google Play Store; I don't usually install anything under 4.0
2. It hasn't been updated since November 2017; usually an indication that the developer is no longer fixing bugs or making feature updates

Until I saw your post I didn't realize OP was referring to an app. Would have been convenient for Google to add more swipe features to the sensor.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Update: left/right swipe (I have them configured for Back/Recents respectively) seem to work pretty reliably. Up (configured for 'Last app') doesn't seem to work much; certainly not reliably enough to use.

Up/Down sensitivity doesn't seem to be quite as smooth on the 3 XL as with the 2 XL - hopefully that's something that might be improved with a patch by Google - but I haven't noticed any further diminishment added with the app.

I had noted the same and wasn't expecting it to work, but figured I'd give it a shot and can't find any faults. I have a hunch a lot of the negative reviews were from people with devices which either simply don't support the functionality in the first place, or whose OEM skins cause conflicts. The only other review I saw by a Pixel owner also said it works fine.