Google hardware

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Google did not buy Fossil. They only bought rights to use some of the tech Fossil developed along with the teams that we're working on smartwatches. Fossil is still it's own company.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Google did not buy Fossil. They only bought rights to use some of the tech Fossil developed along with the teams that we're working on smartwatches. Fossil is still it's own company.

Ok someone other than Mike:)
Well thanks for clearing that up.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Google seriously needs to develop a smartwatch, one that can rival the Apple Watch. Android smartwatches are just not good right now.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I think...

Google already knows what they're good at. They've already established their identity: the phones with the best camera and the smartest software.

I don't think we will see anything new this year. They'll pull off an apple and stretch this formula to as long as it works. In terms of phones, they'll come out with a phone which should've come out in 2018: tiny bezels etc. And, just improve the camera and software a little. Google knows that it's all their fan base cares about.

Smartwatches, well... I've seen the Fossil Sport's review and it's still no where near as polished as the Apple watch. The Apple watch is light years ahead in terms of tech. I'm not hopeful for that either.

I think...

This is going to be meh year from Google.

But, an amazing year from Samsung, Motorola, Apple and OnePlus.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Google seriously needs to develop a smartwatch, one that can rival the Apple Watch. Android smartwatches are just not good right now.

One can argue that Wear OS is not as good as Apple OS for watches but I don't agree it not good right now. I enjoyed my Huawei and I am enjoying my Ticwatch Pro. I would be happy to see a Google watch but in the meantime I'm delighted to use my Ticwatch Pro.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think...

Google already knows what they're good at. They've already established their identity: the phones with the best camera and the smartest software.

I don't think we will see anything new this year. They'll pull off an apple and stretch this formula to as long as it works. In terms of phones, they'll come out with a phone which should've come out in 2018: tiny bezels etc. And, just improve the camera and software a little. Google knows that it's all their fan base cares about.

Smartwatches, well... I've seen the Fossil Sport's review and it's still no where near as polished as the Apple watch. The Apple watch is light years ahead in terms of tech. I'm not hopeful for that either.

I think...

This is going to be meh year from Google.

But, an amazing year from Samsung, Motorola, Apple and OnePlus.

I think Google going have a good year
On Samsung I most likely going wait until the note 10, I'm not feeling a hole for camera in the display, rather a notch . But I agree on 1+ dont know for Motorola and iPhone.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think Google continues to extend and improve Google Assistant. GA as a platform is the priority.

A wearable is clearly in the works, though I don't think it will be this year, but spring 2020. They definitely need to have an offering in that category. I am pretty sure we'll see Pixelbook 2 this year. I think they update the Pixel buds for a 2nd generation, maybe something over the ear..

On the phone front, I just don't see any OEM doing that much more with the rectangle in our pockets. Things are getting to the "doing something just for the sake of doing something" stage. I don't see Google's phone hardware being that different than what we already have. Maybe upgrade/add AL silicon. Theme will be the same, function over form.

Google pretty much has an offering in the relevant tech hardware categories, with wearables on deck. So just improvements on what they already have out, save one long odds bet. My long odds bet for 2019 is Google releases the rumored gaming/streaming console in fall of 2019.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think Google going have a good year
On Samsung I most likely going wait until the note 10, I'm not feeling a hole for camera in the display, rather a notch . But I agree on 1+ dont know for Motorola and iPhone.

Motorola isn't going to do anything ... Apple.. we'll see, but they haven't been very innovative for a while now. 1+... well ... I think they may be "doing something for the sake of" as mentioned above. We'll see.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think Google continues to extend and improve Google Assistant. GA as a platform is the priority.

A wearable is clearly in the works, though I don't think it will be this year, but spring 2020. They definitely need to have an offering in that category. I am pretty sure we'll see Pixelbook 2 this year. I think they update the Pixel buds for a 2nd generation, maybe something over the ear..

On the phone front, I just don't see any OEM doing that much more with the rectangle in our pockets. Things are getting to the "doing something just for the sake of doing something" stage. I don't see Google's phone hardware being that different than what we already have. Maybe upgrade/add AL silicon. Theme will be the same, function over form.

Google pretty much has an offering in the relevant tech hardware categories, with wearables on deck. So just improvements on what they already have out, save one long odds bet. My long odds bet for 2019 is Google releases the rumored gaming/streaming console in fall of 2019.

I think the design will change a little for the up coming pixels, probably going to go smaller with the notch and slimmer bezel on bottom. On the back I like the 2 tone going on dont know if they will change that but dont mind seeing it again.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think the design will change a little for the up coming pixels, probably going to go smaller with the notch and slimmer bezel on bottom. On the back I like the 2 tone going on dont know if they will change that but dont mind seeing it again.

I think that would be great from this year's Pixels. There are more Pixels out in the wild now, simply because there are more three generations of Pixels out now. Which is good for the brand and the platform.

These home speakers have been incredibly for getting the brand out there and more visible for the public, IMO. We may see a refresh of the OG home speaker or the Max this year.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
One can argue that Wear OS is not as good as Apple OS for watches but I don't agree it not good right now. I enjoyed my Huawei and I am enjoying my Ticwatch Pro. I would be happy to see a Google watch but in the meantime I'm delighted to use my Ticwatch Pro.

They're not good right now. Android smartwatches can pass off as mediocre at best. I tried on the Galaxy watch at Best Buy and it felt like a brick on my wrist compared to the Apple Watch series 4. I have small wrists and there was no way I was going to wear that massive thing all day.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
They're not good right now. Android smartwatches can pass off as mediocre at best. I tried on the Galaxy watch at Best Buy and it felt like a brick on my wrist compared to the Apple Watch series 4. I have small wrists and there was no way I was going to wear that massive thing all day.

Okay. They're not good for you. My Ticwatch Pro feels fine on my wrist. I have small wrists but took links out of my watchband and it's fine. It keeps time just fine, tracks my distances walked, keeps me posted on notifications when I"m out and about, and keeps me up to date on the weather.

I'm sorry you can't find anything with Wear OS that suits you but if being too big for your wrist is the killer point it's weak.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay. They're not good for you. My Ticwatch Pro feels fine on my wrist. I have small wrists but took links out of my watchband and it's fine. It keeps time just fine, tracks my distances walked, keeps me posted on notifications when I"m out and about, and keeps me up to date on the weather.

I'm sorry you can't find anything with Wear OS that suits you but if being too big for your wrist is the killer point it's weak.

I couldn't stand Ticwatch. Did it work? Yes but it was way too laggy for a watch. Especially when compared to the latest Apple Watches.