Pixel 3 XL ambient display blinking

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Pixel 3 XL and i like using the ambient display. But I have been having an issue. I have already done a factory reset as well(not a hard reset). When I have the ambient display on, then unlock my screen, then wait for the ambient display to come back on, the clock and everything will blink one time. When I see it in the corner of my eye, it seems like i have a new notification but its now. Its just the ambient display blinking that one time. Is there a way to fix this and make it stop?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I have the ambient display on, then unlock my screen, then wait for the ambient display to come back on, the clock and everything will blink one time.
I'm not sure what you're describing. If I unlock my device, then wait for the 2 minute timeout to occur, the screen briefly goes black and then the Ambient display kicks in and the clock and associated information are shown, but it doesn't blink.
I suppose that you could say it's annoying that the screen briefly goes black rather than immediately showing the Ambient display, but that's the way I've always remembered the feature working.
With all that said, if you don't like the way it's behaving be sure to provide feedback directly to Google about it.

msj514

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're describing. If I unlock my device, then wait for the 2 minute timeout to occur, the screen briefly goes black and then the Ambient display kicks in and the clock and associated information are shown, but it doesn't blink.
I suppose that you could say it's annoying that the screen briefly goes black rather than immediately showing the Ambient display, but that's the way I've always remembered the feature working.
With all that said, if you don't like the way it's behaving be sure to provide feedback directly to Google about it.

Thank you for responding! I'll try to explain my issue a little better. It's not the screen going black after I lock it. I know that is normal.

I have the ambient display turned on. The blink happens when I go to unlock my phone from the ambient display (whether that be a double tap or using the power button) then let my the screen turn off by itself and wait for the ambient display to come back on. The ambient display will be on for a couple of seconds (clock and notification icons will be be there), after that couple of seconds, the clock and all my notifications and info will blink. The entire ambient display does a flicker. It's almost like a glitch, not a white flash or anything. The ambient display simply, goes black very quickly and then comes back on.

--This also happens when I get a new notification and the screen wakes up, then goes back to the ambient display. Again, after the ambient display is shown for 1 or 2 seconds, the clock and everything does the "glitchy" blink.

One way I could describe it is if you have a loose light bulb that isn't screwed in all the way and it's just flashing on and off when you go to touch it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for responding! I'll try to explain my issue a little better. It's not the screen going black after I lock it. I know that is normal.

I have the ambient display turned on. The blink happens when I go to unlock my phone from the ambient display (whether that be a double tap or using the power button) then let my the screen turn off by itself and wait for the ambient display to come back on. The ambient display will be on for a couple of seconds (clock and notification icons will be be there), after that couple of seconds, the clock and all my notifications and info will blink. The entire ambient display does a flicker. It's almost like a glitch, not a white flash or anything. The ambient display simply, goes black very quickly and then comes back on.

--This also happens when I get a new notification and the screen wakes up, then goes back to the ambient display. Again, after the ambient display is shown for 1 or 2 seconds, the clock and everything does the "glitchy" blink.

One way I could describe it is if you have a loose light bulb that isn't screwed in all the way and it's just flashing on and off when you go to touch it.
Make sure you dont have animations on in dev mode or in accessibility , and if you have developer option on , just to rule these out could cause problems like that.

msj514

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you dont have animations on in dev mode or in accessibility , and if you have developer option on , just to rule these out could cause problems like that.

Thanks for the help!

I have developer mode on. And I gone through it and Accessibility. I don't have anything out of the ordinary turned on or off. All of the animation settings are on the default setting.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the help!

I have developer mode on. And I gone through it and Accessibility. I don't have anything out of the ordinary turned on or off. All of the animation settings are on the default setting.
Hi , I would try turning developer option off and restart your phone see if that helps .
Your welcome , hopefully might fix your issue.

msj514

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi , I would try turning developer option off and restart your phone see if that helps .
Your welcome , hopefully might fix your issue.

Well I had it turned off earlier today and then turned it on myself in order to see if there was anything I could turn off or on to help the issue. It was still happening when I had developer options turned off...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well I had it turned off earlier today and then turned it on myself in order to see if there was anything I could turn off or on to help the issue. It was still happening when I had developer options turned off...
Did you restart the device after ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
How would I do that?
Press the power button until it shows power off and restart now long press restart it will give option to go into safe mode .in this mode you can still use the phone but all 3rd party apps will be disabled , to get out of safe mode just restart.

msj514

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Press the power button until it shows power off and restart now long press restart it will give option to go into safe mode .in this mode you can still use the phone but all 3rd party apps will be disabled , to get out of safe mode just restart.

Okay, so I just tried this. When the ambient display comes on, it still does the blinking like before. Even the text at the bottom that says "safe mode" blinks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay, so I just tried this. When the ambient display comes on, it still does the blinking like before. Even the text at the bottom that says "safe mode" blinks.
Then I would contact Google for a replacement , something wrong with your device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty