05-15-2019 12:45 PM
172 123 ...
tools
    I/O is May 7th-9th, so right around the corner. These devices are rumored to be released then, but I can't say that I've seen a lot of anticipation for the release.

I don't necessarily have an interest in the series. I actually question the strategy overall. But who DOES have some interest in this series, provided the rumored pricing hits the target?
    mustang7757 and Morty2264 like this.
    04-27-2019 12:25 PM
    None at at all..
    I/O is May 7th-9th, so right around the corner. These devices are rumored to be released then, but I can't say that I've seen a lot of anticipation for the release.

I don't necessarily have an interest in the series. I actually question the strategy overall. But who DOES have some interest in this series, provided the rumored pricing hits the target?
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    04-27-2019 12:28 PM
    None at at all..
    i hear you, Chief! Me either. I keep seeing these reduced prices on new Pixel 3s and some others on 2s. Not sure who is waiting on this release, as you say, at all!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-27-2019 01:00 PM
    i hear you, Chief! Me either. I keep seeing these reduced prices on new Pixel 3s and some others on 2s. Not sure who is waiting on this release, as you say, at all!
    Your correct, with the discounts they giving for pixel 3 or 2 how can you go with a lower spec device .
    04-27-2019 01:17 PM
    Your correct, with the discounts they giving for pixel 3 or 2 how can you go with a lower spec device .
    This sums up some of my thoughts on this release ...

https://phandroid.com/2019/04/28/5-r...l-will-be-doa/

Definitely five challenge points ..

- Price
    - Specs
    - TIMING (big, IMO)
    - Competiton
    - Software
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-28-2019 03:07 PM
    With the Pixel 2 XL now only costing 380 pounds (the Pixel 2 is even cheaper) I doubt many people will buy the 3a series if the rumours of a $400-$500 price are true. The Pixel 2 XL has a similar design and the P2 series has a better camera, build, chipset and a similar battery.
    04-28-2019 03:37 PM
    This sums up some of my thoughts on this release ...

https://phandroid.com/2019/04/28/5-r...l-will-be-doa/

Definitely five challenge points ..

- Price
    - Specs
    - TIMING (big, IMO)
    - Competiton
    - Software
    I would rather have a One Plus phone at those prices better bang for the money, they should priced them 350 and 450 that would be ideal to win in that market , I dont think it will sell good and plus discounts on their premium phones 3 and 3xl . I rather have a used 2xl
    04-28-2019 03:42 PM
    I don't like straight Android. I like the extra features Samsung and LG add. I don't care about updates. The only attraction Pixel holds for me is the camera software. All of the pixels offer less bang for the buck spec wise and software wise.
    04-28-2019 03:59 PM
    I'm interested in seeing what it's all about and will gladly follow its release and keep an eye out for it... But I don't think I will buy from the line.
    04-28-2019 04:19 PM
    I'm paying attention to the progress of Google mobile phone, I hope to see some fresh design on new pixel phone. They did a poor job before.
    04-28-2019 11:06 PM
    I don't like straight Android. I like the extra features Samsung and LG add. I don't care about updates. The only attraction Pixel holds for me is the camera software. All of the pixels offer less bang for the buck spec wise and software wise.
    Maybe hardware wise but having had and still have every one of the brands you mentioned I don't see anything missing in the software that can't be added.
    Having said that I wouldn't buy the 3a.
    04-29-2019 12:14 AM
    Spen features? No way. Split screen? Sd card. LED indicator light. Just so many
    04-29-2019 12:26 AM
    Spen features? No way. Split screen? Sd card. LED indicator light. Just so many
    I said I didn't see any real software difference that can't be added. Pixel has split screen capability.

I really wasn't discussing hardware but
    only one model has an Spen. Samsung eliminated LEDs with the S10. SD cards are dated with the amount of memory available internally these days. In any event we are cleary off topic since this thread only concerns buying the 3a which is a lower end model.
    04-29-2019 12:59 AM
    Agreed but many DO prefer more bells and whistles than Pixel delivers. I'm not familiar with the 3A. Haven't heard any buzz but this thread.
    04-29-2019 08:33 AM
    I would rather have a One Plus phone at those prices better bang for the money, they should priced them 350 and 450 that would be ideal to win in that market , I dont think it will sell good and plus discounts on their premium phones 3 and 3xl . I rather have a used 2xl
    If the phone were priced in the Moto G7 range, then I might take a serious look.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-29-2019 09:18 AM
    If the phone were priced in the Moto G7 range, then I might take a serious look.
    I dont think they could go that low what's the Moto g7 go for in 200 -250 range ?
    04-29-2019 09:21 AM
    My opinion/analysis of the Pixel 3a:

1. Design: Full plastic/polycarbonate body isn’t anything special. No special effect of gradient either. It has significant bezels around the screen as well (top and bottom)...essentially a budget phone design.

2. Camera: Slightly different in terms of megapixels (12 vs 12.2) but according to many sources the camera will be of similar quality to the one on the Pixel 3, so at worst the camera will be mid-range and at best Not sure whether it will have OIS...

3. Display: A 5.6/6 inch Full HD OLED display seems to be the reality...while the resolution isn’t anything special it’s essentially a similar display and resolution to the one on the Pixel 3, so I’d say that the display is probably going to be premium.

4. Audio: No stereo speakers should be present but neither are they expected. The speakers and audio quality will probably be mid-range but there is a headphone jack

5. Other features: Fingerprint scanner, pure Android with guaranteed, regular updates. IDK about facial recognition and water resistance is unlikely, so overall mid-range or at worst budget.

6. Chipset: Snapdragon 670 on 3a and 710 on 3a XL...both chipsets are great/efficient for everyday use and casual multitasking with 4/6 GB of RAM...should handle most games well apart from intensive ones like PUBG.

7. Battery: 3000mAh for the 3a and 3500mAh for the 3a XL is pretty average...probably means all-day or just under a day of battery life...so mid-range.

For a price between $400 and $500 dollars I don’t think it’s worth it, with a dated design, plastic body etc. For the same price you could get a Nokia (HMD) phone that has a better metal (and sometimes metal/glass) build/design, same software and updates (Android One), has more bells and whistles, a better battery and reasonably good cameras.
    04-29-2019 12:29 PM
    Right there with you. Plain, 'stock', android is just boring to me. Though it is super snappy; I don't really need super snappy 100% of the time. If extra features means it'll occasionally slow down a bit then I'm fine with it. Plus, I haven't seen any real slowdowns since my S8+ (currently rocking a Note 9 and have NEVER noticed any slowdowns and this is comparing it to my Pixel 2XL that I use for development).
    04-29-2019 12:48 PM
    I like the extra features Samsung and LG add.
    So you use every, single, app they add? Because if you do there is no argument about filling up the phone's space. I wouldn't want someone deciding for me to fill it up with programs I don't, and wouldn't, use.
    04-30-2019 01:14 PM
    My 512gb note 9 is far from full. Does pixel come with 8 gb ram?
    04-30-2019 01:32 PM
    I'll be the counterpoint here and say that the 3a line could be compelling. Even though the 3 and 3 XL have been out for a while, the big discounts you're seeing require you to go through Verizon, while buying the phones straight from Google is still pretty pricey (even with the fairly frequent $150-200 discounts). If they price the phones around $400, that could be a compelling alternative to OnePlus, Nokia, and others in that midrange. For me, the big benefits of a Pixel 3a over those phones would be the Google Camera (that would be the first 3 big benefits, since the camera is hugely important to me) and the reliably prompt updates for 3 years. I still don't care about whether a phone has bezels or not, so that part of the design doesn't faze me, and I also still find the obsession with slippery "premium" materials like glass or aluminum somewhat misguided (since it increases the risk of drops, and therefore requires me to put a case on the phone anyway, thus hiding said premium materials).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-01-2019 02:57 PM
    @recDNA
    I see. So you like wasting money on a phone.
    05-01-2019 06:04 PM
    My opinion/analysis of the Pixel 3a:

1. Design: Full plastic/polycarbonate body isn’t anything special. No special effect of gradient either. It has significant bezels around the screen as well (top and bottom)...essentially a budget phone design.

2. Camera: Slightly different in terms of megapixels (12 vs 12.2) but according to many sources the camera will be of similar quality to the one on the Pixel 3, so at worst the camera will be mid-range and at best Not sure whether it will have OIS...

3. Display: A 5.6/6 inch Full HD OLED display seems to be the reality...while the resolution isn’t anything special it’s essentially a similar display and resolution to the one on the Pixel 3, so I’d say that the display is probably going to be premium.

4. Audio: No stereo speakers should be present but neither are they expected. The speakers and audio quality will probably be mid-range but there is a headphone jack

5. Other features: Fingerprint scanner, pure Android with guaranteed, regular updates. IDK about facial recognition and water resistance is unlikely, so overall mid-range or at worst budget.

6. Chipset: Snapdragon 670 on 3a and 710 on 3a XL...both chipsets are great/efficient for everyday use and casual multitasking with 4/6 GB of RAM...should handle most games well apart from intensive ones like PUBG.

7. Battery: 3000mAh for the 3a and 3500mAh for the 3a XL is pretty average...probably means all-day or just under a day of battery life...so mid-range.

For a price between $400 and $500 dollars I don’t think it’s worth it, with a dated design, plastic body etc. For the same price you could get a Nokia (HMD) phone that has a better metal (and sometimes metal/glass) build/design, same software and updates (Android One), has more bells and whistles, a better battery and reasonably good cameras.
    The camera may not operate the same as the regular Pixels due to processing power and do we know if it has a dedicated SOC?
    05-01-2019 06:26 PM
    The camera may not operate the same as the regular Pixels due to processing power and do we know if it has a dedicated SOC?
    I figured that they'd be on par with the Pixel 2 line (i.e., lacking some of the exclusive Pixel 3 features like the AI-enhanced digital zoom, but including Night Sight and the other features that the Pixel 2 gained).
    05-01-2019 07:02 PM
    Maybe hardware wise but having had and still have every one of the brands you mentioned I don't see anything missing in the software that can't be added.
    Having said that I wouldn't buy the 3a.
    Multiple floating windows for larger phones. Google had to go to Q to add this, and it can only do one window at a time.
    Music controls on the AOD (rumored that Q will get it)
    Agenda/Calendar events on the AOD
    Pin Notes/Reminders to AOD
    Change recents view type (grid, list, stack, carousel)
    change size of volume steps each rocker press does
    control each app volume independently of each other and the master media volume
    Alter Audio Focus setup
    Per app specification on if audio goes to headphone or loudspeaker
    Native screen recorder with system sounds recording.

This can be done without root on a Samsung using no third party apps, just Samsung apps. Pixels would need an entire OS update for this. Not even sure if third party apps exist for these.

That said, even if I'm after a Pixel, the Pixel 3 has decreased in price now. So why is there a reason to get this "midrange" one?
    05-01-2019 08:21 PM
172 123 ...