Pixel 3a(XL) Battery Life

Rocko Bauer

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I've been using the 3a XL since yesterday and the battery lifeks amazing so far. Using the typical casual stuff like social media and web browsing i can squeeze out 8 to 9 hours SoT on mobile data with a weak signal. The performance of the system is great

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the 3a XL since yesterday and the battery lifeks amazing so far. Using the typical casual stuff like social media and web browsing i can squeeze out 8 to 9 hours SoT on mobile data with a weak signal. The performance of the system is great

Curious, have you always used a large device? To date I've only kept using phones that are more on the small one handed use size. Do you find the Pixel XL to be too big? I'm undecided whether to go for the larger screen and battery for the additional $80. How is the screen quality? Reviews say it has lower resolution than the smaller 3A. Also what color did you get? I'm considering purplish just for the heck of getting something completely different than the "boring" black.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering about how much battery is used when the phone is processing a lot of pics. Since the phone doesn't have a Visual Core, all of the processing is done by the main SoC, which presumably will use more battery. Are you able to compare this to a flagship 3 XL?

Rocko Bauer

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
The screen quality is excellent. Not sharp as the 3 XL but sharp enough for my eyes. I've used the smaller 3 until yesterday and of course the 3a XL is bigger. But the more on battery is it worth for me. The lack of some features is not that notable in day to day use. The speaker are better then the ones in the regular 3

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Curious, have you always used a large device? To date I've only kept using phones that are more on the small one handed use size. Do you find the Pixel XL to be too big? I'm undecided whether to go for the larger screen and battery for the additional $80. How is the screen quality? Reviews say it has lower resolution than the smaller 3A. Also what color did you get? I'm considering purplish just for the heck of getting something completely different than the "boring" black.

The resolution is the same between the 3a and 3a XL --- both are 2220 x 1080. The XL has less pixel density -- the 2220x1080 is spread over a 6" display, rather than a 5.6" display, so the 3a has 441 ppi (pixels per inch) compared to the XLs 401 ppi. It is unlikely you'll be able to see the difference.

The battery life is nice on the XL but the 3A battery should easily last a full day; of course, it still will somewhat depend on how you use your phone.

Personally, I got the white XL, I like the look (and the orange power button). The purple-ish is a nice looking phone, I think it is a great choice. If you prefer smaller phones, I'd likely go with the 3A -- though I'd recommend going into a store and holding both, see how they feel in your hand. Then buy the one that feels and looks the best to you.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering about how much battery is used when the phone is processing a lot of pics. Since the phone doesn't have a Visual Core, all of the processing is done by the main SoC, which presumably will use more battery. Are you able to compare this to a flagship 3 XL?
Even with the Visual Core on my regular Pixel 3, taking a lot of pictures quickly runs down the battery. I needed an external battery pack to sustain a day trip. Mean while, my wife's iPhone X doing just fine without the need to recharge. 3a is for my son. So I have no experience with it's battery life yet especially it is only a day old.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Only thing I don’t understand is what’s the difference in the processing being done by the main CPU or dedicated visual core? Do both use the main battery, in which case how is battery life affected?

Also talking of the iPhone X I love how Google compares photos taken with Pixel phones to a certain ‘Phone X’ lol

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Thanks!

The advantages of having a Visual Core make much more sense now.

Still, the SD 670 should still be able to handle it decently (not as good as the Pixel 3 of coursE)

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. There clearly needs to be a head-to-head comparison, which we'll hopefully see in the near future.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
".... lacks the Pixel Visual Core hardware of the Pixel 3. Google says it worked a lot on porting over features to run on Qualcomm’s Spectra ISP on the 3a, and that it was challenging - but that overall, you really shouldn’t notice much of any difference between capturing photos on a $400 Pixel 3a versus capturing them on a $900 Pixel 3 XL...."

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/09/the-pixel-3a-and-3a-xl-make-almost-any-phone-under-500-look-bad/

HDR+ and HDR+Enhanced will be slower

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No doubt.
That should not have a meaningful effect on ones photo taking experience overall, for me anyway.
Net viewable times may be doubled I would think.
Battery rundown should be about the same.
Drawback would be if you're trying to take several photos rapidly. You can always turn HDR+ off because it's not always necessary. I turn it off sometimes on the 3XL because it slows down a bit

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL may have Visual Core, but it does have a larger screen and smaller battery. No certainties yet, but I predict that the 3a XL will probably have slightly-substantially better battery life.

Both are great devices though...only parts where they seem lacklustre is design (substantial bezels on one, huge notch on the other)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL may have Visual Core, but it does have a larger screen and smaller battery. No certainties yet, but I predict that the 3a XL will probably have slightly-substantially better battery life.

Very good point. Since Google is trying to increase its market share in India as well (where battery life is a top priority for users, from my understanding), it also makes sense for them to focus a little more on the 3a's battery.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
True. Budget/mid-range devices form the majority of the smartphone market in countries like India and even China. Where value for money and core features (battery, camera, software) are the most important aspects it’s not hard to see why companies like Xiaomi and Samsung (as well as Oppo, Vivo etc) do very well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Both are great devices though...only parts where they seem lacklustre is design (substantial bezels on one, huge notch on the other)

You can get around battery life at times with a quick charge. You can't compensate for the lack of Visual Core. Having said that, the market for the "A" series would probably care more for battery life than Speedy processing

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Exactly. The SD 670 is powerful and speedy enough for most consumers, and the while visual core is important it’s absence won’t be a deal breaker (it only improves processing times by 1-2s for most people). I didn’t say that Visual Core was replaceable though.

Quick charge is always a bonus, especially an 18w charger but for many people where frequent charging isn’t possible or a hassle during their day/work/etc a larger battery and better battery usage/life does have its benefits.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Battery life seems to be getting better by the day. I haven't even received my S10e and I'm having buyers remorse. This 3a is SO good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87