Is Pixel 3a really that good?

Dec 5, 2017
Visit site
I've been reading some reviews of phones in my price range, and I feel kind of puzzled. Looking at the specs, the Pixel 3a is at the bottom of the price range, with Nokia 9 PureView, Moto Z4, Moto One Hyper, and LG G8 Thinq all besting it.

Yet, the review ratings put it at the top, with only the LG G8 Thinq coming in a close second. What's the reason for this? Doesn't Snapdragon 855 provide hugely better performance than Snapdragon 670? Doesn't the ubiquitous 128 GB storage and 6 GB RAM trounce Pixel 3a's non-expandable 64 GB / 4 GB? Is it all about the camera?

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I think it all depends what's important to you. For me it's all about the Camera, Battery life and software experience. I have a 3a xl in which I picked up about a month ago to replace my Pixel 2XL. So yes I've downgraded from I believe a Snapdragon 835 to a 670 but most of the time I don't even notice any difference in performance. I was able to pick this unit up for 379.00 as opposed to my 799.00 for my Pixel 2XL two years ago. I can not justify the price difference and I'll be looking forward to what the 4a line has to offer next year.

Dec 5, 2017
Visit site
I'm not big on camera features. I take photos on rare occasion, but don't need anything special. I'm not really sure how the software experience is different on Pixel. I'm just a casual user, and want a phone on which app responsiveness is as good as possible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not big on camera features. I take photos on rare occasion, but don't need anything special. I'm not really sure how the software experience is different on Pixel. I'm just a casual user, and want a phone on which app responsiveness is as good as possible.
The pixel 3a and 3axl have best camera in it's class and better then ones you mentioned, your also getting 3 years security and software update which others your not . Your also getting Google software experience similar to the pixel 3 series , if your big gamer probably will notice it's processor but everyday task you wouldn't tell one bit . It's plastic which less weight and goggle done great with that plastic . you can get by with any of the phones you listed but best bang for the price pix 3a or 3axl

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

If app responsiveness is your most important criteria I have a feeling that you won't end up satisfied with a Pixel 3a. It meets the average users needs but it sounds like you want something with more hardware.

Dec 5, 2017
Visit site
Well, yes and no. I currently have a Moto g5+, and I'm sure anything will be better than that. I'm not looking for a speed demon, just a smooth experience. Other than that, a good sturdy build and a decent battery life. Aesthetics are secondary. Do I think those zero bezel phones look cool? Yes, but it's not close to the top of the list. A longer software support cycle and timely updates are nice too. I do use the camera, but I don't need to go much above the g5+ to be happy (I wish it didn't kill Pandora every time I open the Photos app, though).

Last edited:

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
Several times over the last month or so they could have been had for 300 bucks. The 3a and the 3a xl are solid phones, and this is my first phone in quite a few years that wasn't considered a flagship device. I think most of us who own this phone are pretty happy.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I really like the Pixel 3A XL which I've had for about 6 months. I came from a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and decided on getting a new phone when my battery started going south, I find it hard to pay the outrageous prices that are being charged for flagship phones and decided that I was going to try to pay outright for any new phones. The Pixel 3A has some really great qualities, the camera is fantastic and the timely software update are great and you are using about as pure as possible Android software.

But there are some draw backs that you anyone considering a Pixel 3A XL need to be aware of and I don't think phone reviewers are bringing this to light and that is lag that you can experience. So often I have heard the comment from AC staff that you shouldn't have to close apps on a phone, that the OS will handle it for you, I find this just isn't the case with the Pixel 3A XL (and probably most other phones similarly spec'd). When I experience lag on the Pixel 3A XL I have to bring up the recent apps and close all and this really makes alot of difference and gets rid of most of the lag.

One thing I found that the Pixel 3A XL won't do is scroll through reward history in Google Opinion Rewards, which I think should be a problem for this phone. To look at the reward history other than the first screen, I have to use my Galaxy Tab A tablet.

My wife got a Samsung Galaxy S10e on Amazon Prime day for about $100 more than I paid for my Pixel 3A XL and so wish that I had ordered 2 of them instead of one.

tfitzpat03

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
I am very satisfied with my Pixel 3a. The one thing that concerns me for the long haul is the device storage.

My previous phone was a Blackberry Keyone and I didn't take as many pictures and videos as much as I do on my 3a. The quality is great for me on both and now I need more cloud storage space lol. I guess that comes with the Google territory.

Feels good knowing that I have a great working device for everything I like to do while it's paid off. Win-win.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Well if you're able to find one on sale, then it becomes a really great buy. Top tier camera and guaranteed 3 years of support from google. At $477-$499 price range though there are other options IMO I just picked one up with trade in for $319 For that price, the 3a is an absolute must get.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Best buy today at 299 I should get email to pick up this am.
I hope and think at 299 it be a keeper.
Trying to talk myself that I dont need that ONe plus 8 pro to be announced on TUE.

Well if you're able to find one on sale, then it becomes a really great buy. Top tier camera and guaranteed 3 years of support from google. At $477-$499 price range though there are other options IMO I just picked one up with trade in for $319 For that price, the 3a is an absolute must get.

Strifae

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
I've had mine just under a year, upgraded from a iPhone 7 Plus as wanted a great camera

No regrets and still smooth as day I got it, tempted by a 4a IF the camera is an upgrade

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine just under a year, upgraded from a iPhone 7 Plus as wanted a great camera

No regrets and still smooth as day I got it, tempted by a 4a IF the camera is an upgrade
Probably won't be much of a camera upgrade but since it's already pretty good it's more just a matter of you like new stuff.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine yesterday to hold me over until the fall and I love it so far. The battery life is surprisingly good and the form factor coming from the OnePlus 7 Pro is very comfortable. I might stick to smaller phones going forward especially if there's more screen in a similar size. Love the camera of course.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine yesterday to hold me over until the fall and I love it so far. The battery life is surprisingly good and the form factor coming from the OnePlus 7 Pro is very comfortable. I might stick to smaller phones going forward especially if there's more screen in a similar size. Love the camera of course.
I thought you were using a V60?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I bought one for my wife back in February. In my opinion it's well worth the money, excellent phone for the price.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I thought you were using a V60?
I was for about two weeks but returned it due to LG being LG not in a good way. I did not agree with LG's decision to use the main camera without a simulated 2x crop for portrait mode and also their lack of HDR processing in portrait mode shots. I take a ton of photos of my kids using that mode and unfortunately I don't trust LG to update the camera app to provide both options. That was my main issue with it. The other was the 5G implementation on T-Mobile was very unstable. Things would load fast. Sometimes very slowly. But that's more of a connection problem than it is the phone. So here's a couple shots from the 3a. Google does use the crop for portraits which rivals phones with the dedicated telephoto lens. That was just my personal issue with the phone which in no way negates my overall feeling about it being one of my top phones of the year.
7413ab44ca4559b25dae70b72760e996.jpg
9ec617bb14a413dce235a27188b129f3.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was for about two weeks but returned it due to LG being LG not in a good way. I did not agree with LG's decision to use the main camera without a simulated 2x crop for portrait mode and also their lack of HDR processing in portrait mode shots. I take a ton of photos of my kids using that mode and unfortunately I don't trust LG to update the camera app to provide both options. That was my main issue with it. The other was the 5G implementation on T-Mobile was very unstable. Things would load fast. Sometimes very slowly. But that's more of a connection problem than it is the phone. So here's a couple shots from the 3a. Google does use the crop for portraits which rivals phones with the dedicated telephoto lens. That was just my personal issue with the phone which in no way negates my overall feeling about it being one of my top phones of the year.
7413ab44ca4559b25dae70b72760e996.jpg
9ec617bb14a413dce235a27188b129f3.jpg
Pixels take great shots. I was surprised because I know you like manual settings. My only complaint besides lack of manual controls is no wide angle.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Pixels take great shots. I was surprised because I know you like manual settings. My only complaint besides lack of manual controls is no wide angle.
Yes I do love my manual modes but I'm willing to stick with pure auto for a while. Initially I sided against the Pixel because it just seemed like cheating but the results speak for themselves.(amateur photographer complaints) I'm betting big on the Pixel 5 with three lenses and hopefully night sight on all lenses. I'm also betting on the iPhone 12 Pro which will have better third party apps for my manual mode needs. I had the 11 Pro which was cool especially using portrait mode with flash in low light but the antennas were much slower than my other devices and YouTube struggled in 1080p which if I'm paying $1k for a phone I felt I should be able to do. But I usually shoot for a camera centric phone first and then the other things. If the Sony Xperia I Mark II somehow makes it to T-Mobile, I'd almost definitely get that but I doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non