Camera

Polvon

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
I need help...... I've bought the pixel 4 xl about 2 months ago. But I've realized something. The image quality in the view finder is so low, like bad compared to the final image. Idk why this is an issue because it's supposed to preview the final image straight from the view finder. I've looked everywhere to find a fix, even sent reports to Google but I have no luck. Anyone experienced this before know how to fix?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused; what viewfinder? Do you mean the display? The display (6.3" I believe) is what you view the proposed photo and the photo once taken usually goes to the gallery or photo folder (depending on what you are using for viewing photos).

Possibly it is my years of using SLRs/DSLRs that when the term viewfinder is used; this is what visualize....
8qzed.jpg

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm speaking about what you see in the camera app before taking the picture

I have the 4XL but I haven't seen that issue with mine. Only once in awhile when it's lower light I'll see that it looks a little grainy in the camera viewfinder but then it appears more smooth once the phone does its computation. Is that what you're talking about?

Polvon

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Ik the pixel 4 xl had a live hdr feature where u see the final image right in the view. But I don't think mine work. Because what I see before I take the image is totally different from the final image

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Ik the pixel 4 xl had a live hdr feature where u see the final image right in the view. But I don't think mine work. Because what I see before I take the image is totally different from the final image

I wonder if I have my live HDR feature turned off. I've never fooled with it. I can check it out and get back to you.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
What you're both seeing is normal for a camera, including the Pixel.

In low light it needs to crank the ISO up which produces noise, because the previewed image is refreshing with the screen the shutter needs to remain fast.

Once you snap the photo, it applies the needed shutter and ISO while also introducing AI to make the image look good. Typical low light shots will use a much slower shutter speed than the screen refresh rate so it would be impossible to preview the final image in real time.

Polvon

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
It isn't just in low light, I'm more so speaking about the quality of it. It looks so low quality in the view finder. Like a really bad camera. But once I take the picture all of the processing happen it looks good. Idk of u heard about it but starting with the pixel 4 and up it has a live hdr feature where it's shows the final processed image live.
Here's the link if u want to check it out

https://ai.googleblog.com/2020/08/live-hdr-and-dual-exposure-controls-on.html?m=1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, that looks pretty normal to me. Is it more noticeable when you're recording a face?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It really looks like normal sharp detail, with appropriate background blurring due to depth of field. Maybe you could record a video, upload it to YouTube or some place similar, and share the link so we could see?

Polvon

Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
I'm not actually worried about the final image, its always good. I'm more so speaking about the image in the view finder being so bad. It's supposed to be a live hdr feature where it show the final processing in real time

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, so it would probably be hard to show a video of that here -- I guess you'd have to take a video of the phone itself taking a video.:-\

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Looks like an indoor shot in your bathroom, artificial indoor lights aren't that bright, I'm almost certain my answer was right.

What was the shutter speed on that image? Your screen refreshes at 60fps, if the shutter speed is below 1/60th of a second live HDR is impossible in that situation. FYI if you view the image in your gallery and look at the details it will show shutter speed.