Capacitive buttons

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No, it's a legitimate thing. Buttons are a failure point, and failure points drive up device costs.
Oy. You sound like a political talking points person for Google. Please...

If you really need to be pedantic about it, every single thing on the phone is a failure point. So therefore they should change every single thing. Right?

Just because something is a potential failure point does not mean it needs to be updated. Form over function updates are silly.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep replies respectful here -- no need to throw around any derogatory terms.

While I would certainly agree that buttons are always a potential failure point (after all, Apple did finally do away with their iconic physical Home button), it's clear that any non-mechanical replacement would have to work much better than what HTC tried. And it would also have to remain friendly to those who may have accessibility issues (e.g., the Active Edge squeeze would not be an ideal replacement, since some people may not have the hand strength to utilize it).

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's an interesting idea if it can possibly be done right. I'll keep an open mind until I have a chance to actually use one.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I heard about that rumor it seems like a long time ago .
I'm curious about the no buttons ideal. Id have to see some typed of rumored drawing of it . I wouldn't say ... " No Buttons > No Buy "... yet, Ha

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's a bold move to go without buttons at all, it completely changes the functionality of how we use our phone. Definitely have to see this played out .

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Buttons are a failure point, which is why they'd want to remove them.

I have a feeling removing the buttons, and replacing them with something perceived to be more high tech might just be another way to "remove" more money from our wallets :O