Anyone really disappointed the base model is 64gb storage?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll be worth the money. One of the best cameras in the industry, guaranteed monthly updates (and yes, they're important -- don't fool yourself into thinking they're not), and a whole lot of intriguing possibilities with the Soli chip.

In regards to the price, keep in mind that virtually every other flagship phone has soared to these levels as well. Maybe it has to do in part with the US-China trade war, but I suspect the companies are also using that as a convenient excuse to raise the prices and just keep them there. Besides, given that the Pixel 4 will now be sold in all of the major US carriers, more and more people will be able to pay for it on a monthly plan that makes exorbitant prices seem manageable -- that's how they're buying iPhones and Note10's, after all. I don't recall anyone really griping about the monthly installment payments for those phones.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll be worth the money. One of the best cameras in the industry, guaranteed monthly updates (and yes, they're important -- don't fool yourself into thinking they're not), and a whole lot of intriguing possibilities with the Soli chip.

In regards to the price, keep in mind that virtually every other flagship phone has soared to these levels as well. Maybe it has to do in part with the US-China trade war, but I suspect the companies are also using that as a convenient excuse to raise the prices and just keep them there. Besides, given that the Pixel 4 will now be sold in all of the major US carriers, more and more people will be able to pay for it on a monthly plan that makes exorbitant prices seem manageable -- that's how they're buying iPhones and Note10's, after all. I don't recall anyone really griping about the monthly installment payments for those phones.

Many phones get monthly updates, even Samsung

As far as major OS updates, so far Android 10 has been ok on my Pixel. No bugs that I see, but not that many improvements either. Whatever they introduced with 10, Samsung has it in 9 and its actually better implemented.
With previous OS updates I had lots of bugs that Google couldn't fix, they ended up giving me a free phone, but most were not this lucky

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
At this price level I'd expect greater minimum storage. Cloud storage is all very well but I may sometimes wish to have videos, for example, saved to both device and Cloud, and with 64gb and no expandable storage, that may be limiting. At these projected prices, I don't expect such limitations.

bchain996

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, why not stay in the Note 10 forum and sing the praises of that phone, instead of coming here and complaining about a phone you don't even own. I don't understand this at all, I just don't.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand your thought process.

I’ll be buying this phone myself but it is a fair point when phones for $200 have 64gb....

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Like Pavlovs dogs, consumers (in general) have gone from expecting to pay around 500 to well over 1000 in just a couple of years now without walking away with their money, and instead come running .
Once all the mfrs saw Apple get away with it, every decent phone has raised their price to an outrageous level.
There are Galaxy S7s being sold for 99 new. How can Samsung justify a grand for a S10.
Same goes for Apple and Google.
Don't ask what I think about pre-ordering 1 of these special phones. I'm so over it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Many phones get monthly updates, even Samsung

Which is great -- more manufacturers need to do this. But I'd say that no manufacturer guarantees it monthly, unless you're talking about Android One devices (which are contractually obligated to provide monthly updates).

Given the rising prices, I'm really interested in what Google's going to do with the 4a line -- will it have the Soli chip? Will it have better battery life? It may again be the much better buy.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So far the Pixel 4 looks like a midrange phone with the only flagship quality being the SOC.

That's just my opinion.

Really? Camera tech, Google photo storage at original quality free (who else does that?), 90Hz refresh rate, Soli chip (debatable until we use it) and the fastest security updates (this hardly ever comes into play but....)

I also find the build quality, since the Pixel 2 to be pretty damn good. No I have never had any screen issues.

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm really interested in what Google's going to do with the 4a line -- will it have the Soli chip? Will it have better battery life? It may again be the much better buy.

I'm interested too. I think it's highly unlikely that Soli or 90hz will be in the 4a because those are cutting edge features. My guess is that it gets the telephoto lens and incremental bumps in processor, screen size, and bezel reduction with all other specs staying the same as the 3a.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
This is so unacceptable and it doesn't even seem to be fast storage either. I have Note 10+ and the base model is 256GB fast storage.

How much more would have cost Google to make that 128gb base? For the love of GOD. so annoying.

I know this is going to come across as a slam and for that I am sorry. I needed a good laugh to start my work week off. You did it. I am 35, when reading your post, all I could think about was the old mallrat Ashley meme, the blonde girl who was not bright, getting annoyed about something that doesn't affect the mainstream lol.

Thank you

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I know this is going to come across as a slam and for that I am sorry. I needed a good laugh to start my work week off. You did it. I am 35, when reading your post, all I could think about was the old mallrat Ashley meme, the blonde girl who was not bright, getting annoyed about something that doesn't affect the mainstream lol.

Thank you
No worries. You all have our different opinions. Thanks for being polite doing it hahaha. Not bashing the phone. It will be a great one. Just annoyed for what Google charges for 64gb in return.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what you plan on putting on the phone but I have 128gb P4XL with 100gb fee space. I was going to buy the 64gb one but my brother convinced me to get the 128. I will go with a 64gb next time

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
With the free Google Photos storage for Full Resolution 64GB is fine with me. My 2XL is 64GB and haven't ran into any storage constraints. But yeah 128GB should be standard.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
With the free Google Photos storage for Full Resolution 64GB is fine with me. My 2XL is 64GB and haven't ran into any storage constraints. But yeah 128GB should be standard.

This. Google phone using google services, most of your stuff is cloud based. 64gb is plenty for these people. even now on my 2xl, 45gb of 64gb used, I can clear up almost 10 gigs by removing my photos and videos saved on my device because i have a full quality copy saved online. 64gb is still plenty of space, for most. We will likely see the storage bump next year.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion - stick with your Note 10+, which is an awesome phone, and remember the old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing.

I agree. I have the Note 10+ with 512 GB of storage. While I would not find 64 GB working for me, you need to understand the Google Pixel experience is different. Google expects you to be connected 24x7. Chrome OS has the same mindset. Designed for very little disconnected time. For many this experience works.

Personally for my needs and the amount of travel I have, being disconnected for long periods of time just happens. I am in many places where connections are expensive, when available. I personally don't want to have downtime because I can't edit a PowerPoint presentation or other types of docs. I also just don't like to stream my media, again this is my personal preference.

I know my use case is probably anathema to my Google Pixel diehards. I am OK with that. I use Android because of the flexibility of the system. I choose my phone based on my needs. I am a bit SPen user to take notes in meetings. They key point is to use the device that works best for you.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Dang, really? That sucks. I mean I still pay for 1TB of Google storage but it was nice to know that my Photos and Videos from my Pixel didn't count against that.

Yes, this is disappointing. But I have enough storage anyway. It was a great selling point for the Pixels previously though.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
No worries. You all have our different opinions. Thanks for being polite doing it hahaha. Not bashing the phone. It will be a great one. Just annoyed for what Google charges for 64gb in return.

After seeing the announcement of the lack of support for all photos in original format.... 64 gigs is a bit too small. It is strange how context really changes everything?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87