Verizon Pixel 4 trade in deal Question

lacough

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I currently have an unlocked Pixel 2 on Verizon. The Verizon promo right now offers $450 for my pixel 2 towards the Pixel 4 or Pixel 4XL. I guess my question is, if I have no desire to leave Verizon, Is there a reason for me NOT to do this.......Obviously I am not looking for opinions about the P4, but what am I really losing by NOT getting the unlocked version?

I appreciate the help!

Dave

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I have the Pixel 3 Verizon version and I deleted every Verizon app that came with the phone, which were only like 4 or so. Its exactly as if I had bought from Google with no Verizon logos inside or out.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an unlocked Pixel 2 on Verizon. The Verizon promo right now offers $450 for my pixel 2 towards the Pixel 4 or Pixel 4XL. I guess my question is, if I have no desire to leave Verizon, Is there a reason for me NOT to do this.......Obviously I am not looking for opinions about the P4, but what am I really losing by NOT getting the unlocked version?

I appreciate the help!

Dave

I called Verizon for clarification on the trade in deal (because as per usual, it says UP TO $450 trade in). After waiting on hold for 40 minutes I hung up and called a local store. I was informed that since my current phone wasn't paid off yet, they couldn't tell me how much my trade in would be. When I got agitated, he hung up on me. Apparently they no longer have to deal with irate customers.

So I called an older number I had that's essentially for their employees. When I told them about my experience they finally got me to someone who could help. Long story short, it was a no go. The $450 was only for new lines, aka someone coming from another carrier or planning to add a line to their existing plan. For upgrades to my own line my Pixel 3 would net $200 on trade. I'd sell it before I'd trade it in to them. For all the flack Google has gotten for their trade in amounts, they were $50 higher than my carrier.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The hottest deals are for new lines only across all carriers.

I would appreciate a deep discount on a device offered on the 5th, 10th, 15th, and so on anniversary of service with my carrier.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site

I appreciate the help!

Dave

As far as I know, you only lose the ability to unlock the boot loader with the Verizon version. This is no big deal unless you like to get "into" the phone and mess with it.

As far as the "promo", my advice is to read, re-read, and read the terms again so you know EXACTLY what you are getting, or not getting.

Verizon is a good carrier, the Pixel is a good phone, enjoy both.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The 450 is for upgraded as well. But the old phone must be paid off first to be eligible.

I got 450 for a z2 force...bwahaha. Too good of a deal to pass up.

mikemeek

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I also upgraded and Verizon gave me $450.00 for my Droid Turbo 2 that has been in my drawer and just waiting for this occasion!

kuklaki

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I can also confirm the $450 trade in for existing customers without adding a new line. My husband and I will both be upgrading our ancient Pixel 1's and are getting $450 for each phone. Plus, I was able to get other savings by calling the customer service number. All in all, I was able to save over $1k on two phones. I checked last year's Black Friday deals and am pretty comfortable in thinking I got just as good an offer if not better (based on previous BF offers). I can live with the 60 day lock, and I guess I can live without the orange 128 gb for the savings.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
It's a great deal if you are on one of their unlimited plans. Unlucky for me my wife and I do a shared data plan. I'll just have to wait for a good black Friday deal.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I called Verizon for clarification on the trade in deal (because as per usual, it says UP TO $450 trade in). After waiting on hold for 40 minutes I hung up and called a local store. I was informed that since my current phone wasn't paid off yet, they couldn't tell me how much my trade in would be. When I got agitated, he hung up on me. Apparently they no longer have to deal with irate customers.

So I called an older number I had that's essentially for their employees. When I told them about my experience they finally got me to someone who could help. Long story short, it was a no go. The $450 was only for new lines, aka someone coming from another carrier or planning to add a line to their existing plan. For upgrades to my own line my Pixel 3 would net $200 on trade. I'd sell it before I'd trade it in to them. For all the flack Google has gotten for their trade in amounts, they were $50 higher than my carrier.

You get an ADDITIONAL $200 cash if you activate lines. Everyone gets the $450 with trade in below.

verz.jpg

verz222.jpg

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You get an ADDITIONAL $200 cash if you activate lines. Everyone gets the $450 with trade in below.

View attachment 311887

View attachment 311888

I was going by what their employees told me, as at the time I looked, the info you posted wasn't there. And while it does sound like a great deal, as others have mentioned, ONLY take it if you plan to stay with Verizon AND the Pixel 4 for 2 years. I went down that road before with the first Pixel (which came out around the time they scrapped one time discounts in favor of monthly bill credits over 24 months).

When I went to upgrade from the Pixel 1, I was informed you can't pay your device off early even if you stay with Verizon without losing your remaining bill credits. For example, if you decide a year from now you want to upgrade to the Pixel 5, doing so will forfeit your remaining bill credits. So if you do it right at the 1 year mark, you'll end up only getting half your bill credits, or half of your discount ($225). IIRC Kellen over at Droid Life has spoken about this before, that it's essentially a 2 year contract without being called that. You can't leave Verizon during the 24 month period without a penalty, and you can't even upgrade without penalty. Right now I'm doing monthly payments, but without bill credits, so if I upgrade I won't lose anything. But in my case they won't even let me find out how much my trade in would be worth without paying it off.

Note to businesses, if you want me to give you more money, don't make me jump through hoops to do so. I know I have to pay off my existing device, but it'd be nice to be able to at least see if it's worth it to me to do so without having to pay it off.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I got the $450 from Verizon on my trade in on my Note 10+. If I had been coming from another carrier I would have received an additional $200. I did the whole order on line and as part of the online process it showed me the estimated value of my phone based on my description. One or two weeks after I sent in my phone I received a confirmation email fro. Verizon that I would receive the full $450. I believe this worked for almost everyone except a few who forgot to delete their Google account manually as part of the reset process.

Don't know about the deal for the Pixel. I assume it would work the same.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got the $450 from Verizon on my trade in on my Note 10+. If I had been coming from another carrier I would have received an additional $200. I did the whole order on line and as part of the online process it showed me the estimated value of my phone based on my description. One or two weeks after I sent in my phone I received a confirmation email fro. Verizon that I would receive the full $450. I believe this worked for almost everyone except a few who forgot to delete their Google account manually as part of the reset process.

Don't know about the deal for the Pixel. I assume it would work the same.

As I said above, I was going off of what a Verizon rep told me. The reason I called is the only info I could find on their website simply said UP TO $450. Generally that means you CAN get get that, but it's not necessarily what you WILL get. So I called and when she read over the terms of the offers, she informed me the best I could get was $200, not $450.

Now others have said and provided info that apparently the rep was wrong. But I wasn't planning to upgrade that day, I just wanted to test the waters and see what I could get if I traded in. I didn't want to pay off my phone if I wasn't going to upgrade.

Since Verizon doesn't appear to be dropping monthly bill credits anytime soon, that leaves me with the Google or Amazon $100 offers. At this point I'll probably wait to see reviews, especially concerning battery life since I'd be looking at the smaller Pixel 4.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
As I said above, I was going off of what a Verizon rep told me. The reason I called is the only info I could find on their website simply said UP TO $450. Generally that means you CAN get get that, but it's not necessarily what you WILL get. So I called and when she read over the terms of the offers, she informed me the best I could get was $200, not $450.

Now others have said and provided info that apparently the rep was wrong. But I wasn't planning to upgrade that day, I just wanted to test the waters and see what I could get if I traded in. I didn't want to pay off my phone if I wasn't going to upgrade.

Since Verizon doesn't appear to be dropping monthly bill credits anytime soon, that leaves me with the Google or Amazon $100 offers. At this point I'll probably wait to see reviews, especially concerning battery life since I'd be looking at the smaller Pixel 4.

When Best Buy doe their $400 or $300 discount, usually black friday, its a straight up discount all the time. That what I did last year. So if you were to pay it off the very next month, you would pay the retail price minus the large discount. Even though you finance the remainder, its not credits per month, its just a finance of the discounted price.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I have zero plans to leave Verizon so the bill credits work great for me. Interest free, why not. I keep my money working for me.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have zero plans to leave Verizon so the bill credits work great for me. Interest free, why not. I keep my money working for me.

It's not just about leaving Verizon, you also can't upgrade your phone or pay it off early, you're stuck with it for 24 months or you risk losing however many bill credits are remaining.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When Best Buy doe their $400 or $300 discount, usually black friday, its a straight up discount all the time. That what I did last year. So if you were to pay it off the very next month, you would pay the retail price minus the large discount. Even though you finance the remainder, its not credits per month, its just a finance of the discounted price.

I haven't looked at Best Buy for phones for a long time. The last time I did, they had a habit of charging more than carriers were for retail (a phone I was looking at was $650 at my carrier and $750 at BB). Maybe I'll have to give them another chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez