Battery life

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have now both small and large Pixel 4. Using the smaller Pixel 4 as my main phone today. I always love the smaller phones because they are much easier to use for me. I'll see how it goes over the day and will try to post some stats. 4 XL I'll try to use next week putting the sim in their. My intention is to keep the smaller Pixel 4 unless it's very bad battery life. I'll see how it goes.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have now both small and large Pixel 4. Using the smaller Pixel 4 as my main phone today. I always love the smaller phones because they are much easier to use for me. I'll see how it goes over the day and will try to post some stats. 4 XL I'll try to use next week putting the sim in their. My intention is to keep the smaller Pixel 4 unless it's very bad battery life. I'll see how it goes.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Still on the fence about this but always preferred smaller phones and your observations on the battery life may help me in making my decision. Need a new phone very badly

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Still on the fence about this but always preferred smaller phones and your observations on the battery life may help me in making my decision. Need a new phone very badly
Checking in with the smaller P4 on usage today. Been using the phone from morning browsing, watching videos, taking some pics etc. All settings are on default and I'm not the kind who turns off features on any phones I buy

Looking alright so far but might have to charge evening if I keep going at this rate, but on a work day it shouldn't be a problem. Either way I'll let it go without charging are try to use normally and see how long it lasts. Afternoon I have some project work so might be using the phone less for the next few hours.

b6d25170d1580d68f1556da0785e92e4.jpg

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Checking in with the smaller P4 on usage today. Been using the phone from morning browsing, watching videos, taking some pics etc. All settings are on default and I'm not the kind who turns off features on any phones I buy

Looking alright so far but might have to charge evening if I keep going at this rate, but on a work day it shouldn't be a problem. Either way I'll let it go without charging are try to use normally and see how long it lasts. Afternoon I have some project work so might be using the phone less for the next few hours.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191026/b6d25170d1580d68f1556da0785e92e4.jpg

Thanks for that! I may decide to go for it as my original pixels battery is not at full potential.im sure anything will be a vast improvement over what I currently own

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that! I may decide to go for it as my original pixels battery is not at full potential.im sure anything will be a vast improvement over what I currently own
Oh yeah over the original Pixel it'll be a huge improvement given the battery age of that phone. If you like the Pixel experience don't worry about the battery, they are manageable and will get thru depending on how you use the phone.

But if you are open to other phones and battery life is the most important thing for you then there are other phones which can provide little bit more battery. You can decide what's best you. Good luck and anyway I'll post some stats as I go along

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191026/b6d25170d1580d68f1556da0785e92e4.jpg

If I may ask, are you mostly on WiFi or mobile data, or a combination?

Originally I also asked about how long you were off the charger before seeing it in the screenshot.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Been off charger since 10 or 11 last night

That’s 52% left after not being charged at all for 21 hours and it was at 91% Not 100% 21 hours ago...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191026-202124.jpg
    Screenshot_20191026-202124.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If I may ask, are you mostly on WiFi or mobile data, or a combination?

Originally I also asked about how long you were off the charger before seeing it in the screenshot.
Full time on WiFi since weekend morning and at home. It's 5.30 PM, at 30% currently and going out now. Pretty sure by the time I'm back home it'll be dead. I'll post later the final stats.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Full time on WiFi since weekend morning and at home. It's 5.30 PM, at 30% currently and going out now. Pretty sure by the time I'm back home it'll be dead. I'll post later the final stats.

That's reassuring. I spend about 90% of my time on WiFi, so that should work for me. I still plan to wait until Black Friday both for a better deal and to see how the majority of people's experience with battery life shake out.

garymontague

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I’m struggling to get over 4 and a half hours SOT on the XL over a full day (7am to 10pm). Where as I’ve seen people exceeding 7 hours or more.

I’m not doing anything too excessive. Just Tapatalk, messaging and Fenix the majority of the time with a little bit of casual gaming thrown in (not graphic intensive games though)

I haven’t turned any of the features off as I don’t see why I should as they are part of the whole phone experience and a key selling feature of the phone.

Overall I’m enjoying the phone but went to a football match yesterday but took my 11 Pro Max instead as I didn’t want to have battery anxiety on the way home knowing that I would be using the phone throughout the journey (over an hour each way and then taking photos whilst I was there)

Hopefully I see an improvement before my 14 day deadline.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So here is the smaller Pixel 4 battery life yesterday. Didn't use the phone much after 5 PM when I was outside and the phone died around 10.30 PM. I'm guessing it'll die sometime in the evening on my above average use. Definitely needs light top up during some part of the day.

7b62887a4f98cd51cc9d7d31349ada12.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not that bad , so probably get a day with less screen time maybe between 3 to 4 SOT
Yeah probably I was using it a lot till 5 PM evening and then didn't use it a lot. But if I average out on work day it may last a day but might need a charge when opportunity arises.

I'm planning to test out couple more days on the smaller one and then move to testing out the 4 XL.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah probably I was using it a lot till 5 PM evening and then didn't use it a lot. But if I average out on work day it may last a day but might need a charge when opportunity arises.

I'm planning to test out couple more days on the smaller one and then move to testing out the 4 XL.
Nice ...are you disabling anything?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I’m struggling to get over 4 and a half hours SOT on the XL over a full day (7am to 10pm). Where as I’ve seen people exceeding 7 hours or more.

I’m not doing anything too excessive. Just Tapatalk, messaging and Fenix the majority of the time with a little bit of casual gaming thrown in (not graphic intensive games though)

I haven’t turned any of the features off as I don’t see why I should as they are part of the whole phone experience and a key selling feature of the phone.

Overall I’m enjoying the phone but went to a football match yesterday but took my 11 Pro Max instead as I didn’t want to have battery anxiety on the way home knowing that I would be using the phone throughout the journey (over an hour each way and then taking photos whilst I was there)

Hopefully I see an improvement before my 14 day deadline.

Something people never seem to take into account is signal strength. If you live in or are generally in a poor signal area, your battery life will suffer because the radio will constantly be searching for better signal, or any signal at all depending on how bad the signal strength is.

Where I live the signal strength isn't great, and having steel siding on my house hurts it even more. So I ended up putting a couple Network Extenders (3G & LTE) in my house to boost the signal and it made a huge difference in my battery life.

We have Verizon, AT&T in my immediate area, and the nearest T-Mobile home tower is around 30 miles away. Verizon is solid but weak, AT&T is about the same signal strength, but with a lot of dead spots. Since there isn't a T-Mobile home tower covering my area, I can't get service with them. To be a customer on any carrier, your primary residence has to be covered by one of their home towers, it can't be covered by a roaming tower (AT&T and T-Mobile roam on each other's towers, as do Verizon & Sprint on each other's towers).

But back to signal strength and battery life. It's not only cellular signal strength, but any signal that your phone utilizes. Awhile back I had a Samsung phone that absolutely couldn't get a decent GPS lock. It could've been due to the siding on my house, but even out and about it struggled to get a lock. My battery life was horrible, and the highest draw on my battery was GPS. It got so bad I ended up disabling location services just to have decent battery life. I don't know if signals like WiFi, Bluetooth, or NFC will affect battery as much since they generally don't pull signal from long distances like cellular and GPS do.

But I'd check out and see what your signal strength is like and see if that isn't part of the culprit. It could also be an app that's having issues as well. Good luck.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
More thoughts on battery after a few more days of use. I'm not sure if it's as good as my Iphone 11 pro max or Note 10+ but still really good.

The reason why I'm not sure is because I really like pixel phones and find myself constantly unlocking the phone and playing around with it. I did the same for my Note 10+.

With the Iphone, it's just static icons so there's nothing else to look at unless I need to do something. It also has no always on display.

All three phones behave differently as far as battery drainage.

With the Pixel 4 XL Google has seemed to take the Apple approach. After a full charge the phone will sit on 100% for quite some time, but still not like the Iphone.

The Iphone will do the same as mentioned above but the standby time is really superior and it seems to stay on 100% until you start using it. You'd have to leave it several hours before it drops down.

The Note 10+ does like Android always has, and will drop to 98-99% from a full charge if you breathe on it, LOL. Having said that, after that initial drop, it drains slowly and seems to get better as the day goes on.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting about 5.5 hours of screen on time with my usage on the regular Pixel 4. That's with 90hz forced on too. I'm getting better battery life than my Pixel 3. So the doom and gloom about the 2800mAh is unfounded in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez