Pixel 5 Concerns: Gap and Overheating

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Ordered my P5 and I'm super excited to get it soon. Just a bit concerned with recent issues that I read today. Apparently, some P5s have a gap between the phone and screen, and some are overheating when recording 4k 60. Thoughts?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Ehh I'm concerned too but that's what a return policy is for. Hopefully I don't get one with an issue but if I do, not the end of the world.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it's just the hassle of a return or exchange. I'm hoping the same
I just keep thinking "first world problems" lol. There are still millions of people without jobs. I'm lucky to have one and if I have to return a phone with a problem, I can deal with it. As a tech enthusiast, I completely agree with the frustration of expecting something new to work out of the box. But it's not the end of the world.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the screen deal has me concerned. The 4k 60 less so as the only videos I usually recorded were at concerts.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Could be they didn't notice, it takes time for the issue to develop or only affecting certain units. I'm sure we will know soon enough the extent of condition.

Then why aren't any reviewers saying they missed it prior but have the issue. When I start seeing that then maybe this is a issue.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Those are concerning issues, for sure, but at least we can return or exchange if something happens. Plus, Google will likely work out the kinks in a timely manner. It could be that only a small number of devices are affected. As other users said, we'll feel better about this when we have more of an idea on what is happening and what the extent of the issues are.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Most reviewers are more worried about how loud the built in speakers are than issues like this!
I would chalk that up to speaker volume impacting every unit. We don't know the extent of impact yet with the gap or overheating.

Last edited:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
The gap is concerning but as you say, there is a return policy. I had a 2xl and never had screen issues on any of my family's phones. Yet loads of people did. It is luck of the draw.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The gap is concerning but as you say, there is a return policy. I had a 2xl and never had screen issues on any of my family's phones. Yet loads of people did. It is luck of the draw.

My friend had a Pixel 2 XL with no screen issues, as well. It's definitely luck of the draw, as you say!

whatboutbob

Oct 22, 2020
Visit site
Pixel 5 owner here. Bought it on release day as my old pixel 2 was on its last legs.

Found this discussion after googling "pixel 5 overheating", because, well, while it is early days, my phone is having some 'watch this space' overheating issues.

Specifically twice it has shut down 4k/60fps recordings after about 5 mins. I don't often record longer vids, so the phone is 0/2 for >4 min vids. Both vids were indoors with a cool ambient temperature (<20C) and no direct sunlight exposure.

The phone has also warned me one other time about overheating, but it was dash mounted in the car in direct sunlight using Google maps to navigate. The disconcerting aspect is that it was only spring, 27C and had been dash mounted for only about 10 mins. My pixel 2 only overheated in the same mount after half an hour in much hotter weather.

I can't see any evidence of the display/frame gap issue.

I'm not running around waving my arms in the air warning people not to buy the phone, but just putting this out there to see if anyone else is experiencing similar.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Pixel 5 owner here. Bought it on release day as my old pixel 2 was on its last legs.

Found this discussion after googling "pixel 5 overheating", because, well, while it is early days, my phone is having some 'watch this space' overheating issues.

Specifically twice it has shut down 4k/60fps recordings after about 5 mins. I don't often record longer vids, so the phone is 0/2 for >4 min vids. Both vids were indoors with a cool ambient temperature (<20C) and no direct sunlight exposure.

The phone has also warned me one other time about overheating, but it was dash mounted in the car in direct sunlight using Google maps to navigate. The disconcerting aspect is that it was only spring, 27C and had been dash mounted for only about 10 mins. My pixel 2 only overheated in the same mount after half an hour in much hotter weather.

I can't see any evidence of the display/frame gap issue.

I'm not running around waving my arms in the air warning people not to buy the phone, but just putting this out there to see if anyone else is experiencing similar.
You're the first I heard about the phone overheating while on google maps. That may be a problem for me because I use Google maps quite a bit, and for long road trips. I'm still buying the phone, but I will definitely return if it's a problem

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
I'm thinking of cancelling my order for the 2 Pixel 5's I pre-ordered (one for me and for the wife) after seeing this. I live in Dubai and waiting for me to get it is a big pain let alone if it did have an issue returning it is not as simple as y'all can do it as I am using a freight forwarder to have it transferred from my UK Virtual Address to Dubai.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs