Rear Fingerprint Sensor

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
This has got to be the best out there. It works first time, even when my finger is wet at work. In screen FPS, in my opinion, just aren't as good as this one.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This has got to be the best out there. It works first time, even when my finger is wet at work. In screen FPS, in my opinion, just aren't as good as this one.
Hey hey yup yup you're absolutely right! One of the main reasons you buy a pixel... the fingerprint scanner!

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I literally have the exact opposite experience anytime my finger isn't perfectly dry it fails to read anything.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is so wonderful to hear! As much as I love my in-display fingerprint scanner on my S10, but I miss my back fingerprint scanner from my Google Pixel 2. Sometimes, my finger will still go to the back of the S10, looking for the fingerprint scanner.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is so wonderful to hear! As much as I love my in-display fingerprint scanner on my S10, but I miss my back fingerprint scanner from my Google Pixel 2. Sometimes, my finger will still go to the back of the S10, looking for the fingerprint scanner.
hehe, yep yep dude. The pixels fingerprint scanner versus any other fingerprint scanner is just more precise, accurate, faster!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
hehe, yep yep dude. The pixels fingerprint scanner versus any other fingerprint scanner is just more precise, accurate, faster!

I found that my Google Pixel 2 and my Honor 8's rear fingerprint scanners were the fastest of any phone I've owned.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I found that my Google Pixel 2 and my Honor 8's rear fingerprint scanners were the fastest of any phone I've owned.
And, of course, you would be absolutely correct in thinking that. I remember when I had my older Galaxy s8 the rear mounted fingerprint scanner on that one wasn't nearly as fast as accurate. Sometimes it would take two or three just to unlock my phone each time I wanted to use my phone.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
For me when it comes to phones, I just want it to work. I'll forego whiz bang features for good functioning essentials. The fps is one of those features. If it doesn't work properly it affects the daily use.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Please let me expand. My job is in the fishing industry and my hands are constantly wet. On my previous Mate 20 pro wet or damp fingers wouldn't be detected and I'd usually have to dry my hands and even then use my pin code to open the phone. With the Pixel 5, I can rub my finger on my shirt or trousers and even though it will still be quite damp I can still open my phone... Soaking wet fingers won't work... Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
And, of course, you would be absolutely correct in thinking that. I remember when I had my older Galaxy s8 the rear mounted fingerprint scanner on that one wasn't nearly as fast as accurate. Sometimes it would take two or three just to unlock my phone each time I wanted to use my phone.

Sometimes I feel like rear mounted scanners are more efficient, but then you have your S8 situation. Perhaps it depends on the phone model itself. But my Pixel 2 was great, and I think my Honor 8 was even better. Almost instantaneous.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I feel like rear mounted scanners are more efficient, but then you have your S8 situation. Perhaps it depends on the phone model itself. But my Pixel 2 was great, and I think my Honor 8 was even better. Almost instantaneous.
You know dude I was just going to say that as well! The pixels the rear mounted fingerprint scanners way more accurate it's faster, and it's mounted perfectly in the back side of the phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You know dude I was just going to say that as well! The pixels the rear mounted fingerprint scanners way more accurate it's faster, and it's mounted perfectly in the back side of the phone.

Yup, it's positioned so perfectly on the back of the phone! Miss those days sometimes!

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Same for on Samsung A21. Rear sensor is well positioned. Doesn't work overly well with wet fingers, but the rear positioning is good.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rear sensor is capacitive - it should work with a bit of dampness - but it fails if it's too dry (like below zero outside, the heat running full-blast and no humidifier).

Under-screen sensor is IR light. If the valleys in the fingerprint are filled in with moisture, it fails. (But it should work no matter how dry it gets.)

So Samsung for the desert, Pixel for everything else.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Rear sensor is capacitive - it should work with a bit of dampness - but it fails if it's too dry (like below zero outside, the heat running full-blast and no humidifier).

Under-screen sensor is IR light. If the valleys in the fingerprint are filled in with moisture, it fails. (But it should work no matter how dry it gets.)

So Samsung for the desert, Pixel for everything else.
Not doubting you any but I've honestly experienced the exact opposite.

S20 the sensor never fails, with the pixel 5 if my hands are the slightest wet it fails to read my fingerprint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non