"Close all" on a Pixel 5a

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Occasionally, on my Pixel 5a, I can close all the running apps with a side swipe ... but only by accident. I can't deliberately get the combination of touches & swiping that invokes this. What's the combo for doing that. The "Help" built in by GOOGLE isn't any help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm only aware swipe up or scroll to end of your cards clear all you can do this , but if you swipe from edge panel u can exit out but won't clear cards .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No booster. Got a couple file manager apps. Why, would they interfere?

It's possible a 3rd party file manager app includes some feature to kill all apps. File manager developers seem to like including "phone cleaner/booster" features (which I generally don't recommend).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What does it look like when you've been able to close all apps this way? Do you see the App Overview screen? Is there some message telling you that you closed all apps?

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Nothing like that. I can't figure out what invokes it, some combination of swiping that appears to involve the lower right corner of the face of the phone (Pixel 5a) and the screen shrinks down to about 70% of full size and the other running (?) apps appear one at a time as I "flick" the up, presumably closing them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh derp, you can bring up the App Overview by swiping up partially from the bottom, then scroll all the way to the left and tap Clear All. (I wasn't aware of this myself.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nothing like that. I can't figure out what invokes it, some combination of swiping that appears to involve the lower right corner of the face of the phone (Pixel 5a) and the screen shrinks down to about 70% of full size and the other running (?) apps appear one at a time as I "flick" the up, presumably closing them.
You have one handed mode on?Screenshot_20220407-163105.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
There's alot in the Android OS I don't comprehend 🫤 and this is one of them.
Some combination of swipes(?) evokes all the running (?) apps, and then i swipe up to close them.
Can't figure it out. Gotta be a short between the ears.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There's alot in the Android OS I don't comprehend 🫤 and this is one of them.
Some combination of swipes(?) evokes all the running (?) apps, and then i swipe up to close them.
Can't figure it out. Gotta be a short between the ears.
Maybe stop by carrier store or Best buy so they see whats going on in person and can better help