Straight Talk on Verizon SIM APN

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone who uses a Straight Talk (Walmart) on the Verizon network SIM help me out with a problem? I would greatly appreciate it.

If you can post your APN settings. I can't make/receive phone calls or texts.

This worked fine with the same SIM in my Pixel 6 Pro.

It's under settings/Network and Internet/SIMS (Tracphone)/Access Point Names

Thank you in advance for your help
ebcffd4b727db23d94d0682583854992.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Can you try reset APN by the 3 dots ?
Try also reset network in settings

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app
Thanks, I tried that several times. It's apparently a known issue with Pixel 7 and Straight Talk Verizon SIMs. I tried playing with APN settings and have done a lot of variations. The Reddit posts referenced above are the most enlightening.

I will call Straight Talk and Google Tomorrow. And initiate a problem ticket. I intend to keep this phone because it is obviously a carrier issue that can be fixed. I also intend to keep this carrier. It is the only one that works at my house.

Some of the Reddit posts say that Google is working on a fix.

Others say that Straight Talk can provision my IMEI. Some say that they did that and it still doesn't work.

My 6 Pro still works fine with this same SIM. I need to send it back to Google for my $480 trade in credit.

I have other phones that still work with the same exact SIM.

I also have another SIM with a different phone number installed in a 4a. I will use that to call and raise hell tomorrow.

It will get fixed, it's just a matter of talking to the right person.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I tried that several times. It's apparently a known issue with Pixel 7 and Straight Talk Verizon SIMs. I tried playing with APN settings and have done a lot of variations. The Reddit posts referenced above are the most enlightening.

I will call Straight Talk and Google Tomorrow. And initiate a problem ticket. I intend to keep this phone because it is obviously a carrier issue that can be fixed. I also intend to keep this carrier. It is the only one that works at my house.

Some of the Reddit posts say that Google is working on a fix.

Others say that Straight Talk can provision my IMEI. Some say that they did that and it still doesn't work.

My 6 Pro still works fine with this same SIM. I need to send it back to Google for my $480 trade in credit.

I have other phones that still work with the same exact SIM.

I also have another SIM with a different phone number installed in a 4a. I will use that to call and raise hell tomorrow.

It will get fixed, it's just a matter of talking to the right person.

Good luck , keep us posted

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got off a long chat with Google. They say that I was sent a FI phone instead of unlocked.

They processed an RMA and sent me an email to order the replacement.

Unfortunately, the replacement phone is also a FI device.

I can't use Fi in my neighborhood unless they support Verizon towers.

AT&T is also spotty.

T-Mobile doesn't work at all.

Guess I will call them tomorrow.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Long chat with Straight Talk today and 2 reps. They checked the IMEI number and said it is compatible. She said that I would have to get a new SIM because the old one was tied to the 6 PRO.

She transferred me to sales and they charged me .99 for the SIM. I opted for 2 day delivery so it cost a little over $6.
J
She said when I install the SIM I have to call them to activate and move my phone number.

I realize that this is against stuff we have read but keep hope alive.

I am not sending my 6 PRO back for the $480 credit until this gets straightened out . The same goes for the RMA on the 7 Pro .

Now we wait.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The joys of the Verizon activation process. They are the most difficult carrier (goes for their MVNO partners too) for byod use.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Long chat with Straight Talk today and 2 reps. They checked the IMEI number and said it is compatible. She said that I would have to get a new SIM because the old one was tied to the 6 PRO.

She transferred me to sales and they charged me .99 for the SIM. I opted for 2 day delivery so it cost a little over $6.
J
She said when I install the SIM I have to call them to activate and move my phone number.

I realize that this is against stuff we have read but keep hope alive.

I am not sending my 6 PRO back for the $480 credit until this gets straightened out . The same goes for the RMA on the 7 Pro .

Now we wait.

Ok let's see

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok let's see
SIM is supposed to be here tomorrow via UPS.

My plan:
1) install SIM
2) call Straight Talk to activate

If not successful
3) ask Straight Talk for my account number and. PIN.

4) switch to Google FI using app and info from Straight Talk to switch phone number and eSIM.

If not successful
5) call Google Fi customer service for help and possibly order SIM.

I checked the Google website today and to my surprise and disbelief I have coverage at my home address. LTE but that's good enough. I also checked my IMEI and since I have a Google unlocked Pixel 7 Pro it is covered.

When I moved here in 2018 I had Google Fi on a Pixel. I could never get it to work. I spent hours on the phone with customer service. WiFi calling did work which doesn't with Straight Talk. It looks like FIs coverage map has improved since I left. I think they are a little more expensive than ST but I use very little data each month. I am always on WiFi.

If not successful
6) ????

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

My plan:
1) install SIM

If not successful

4) switch to Google FI using app and info from Straight Talk to switch phone number.

If not successful
5) call Google Fi customer service for help.

I checked the Google website today and to my surprise and disbelief I have coverage at my home address. LTE but that's good enough. I also checked my IMEI and since I have a Google unlocked Pixel 7 Pro it is covered.

When I moved here in 2018 I had Google Fi on a Pixel. I could never get it to work. I spent hours on the phone with customer service. WiFi calling did work which doesn't with Straight Talk. It looks like FIs coverage map has improved since I left. I think they are a little more expensive than ST but I use very little data each month. I am always on WiFi.

If not successful
6) ????

Hopefully don't have to get to #6

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Worst case scenario: FI switches my phone number but the coverage map is wrong and I still can't make phone calls and text.

WiFi calling should still work but I mostly text.

Fi uses only T-Mobile network?

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Fi uses only T-Mobile network?
They used to do carrier aggregation with TMobile, Sprint (T-Mobile) and US Cellular. But I don't know about it now. I don't think they use Verizon. That's why I am confused. Maybe I need to call customer service before I try to switch using the Google Fi app just to be sure.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They used to do carrier aggregation with TMobile, Sprint (T-Mobile) and US Cellular. But I don't know about it now. I don't think they use Verizon. That's why I am confused. Maybe I need to call customer service before I try to switch using the Google Fi app just to be sure.

Yeah double check on that

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using AC Forums mobile app

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

They use TMobile and US Cellular. US Cellular coverage is limited to certain regions so you'll probably need solid TMO coverage wherever you'll use your phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

My plan:
1) install SIM

If not successful

4) switch to Google FI using app and info from Straight Talk to switch phone number and eSIM.

If not successful
5) call Google Fi customer service for help and possibly order SIM.

If not successful
6) ????

To save a lot of hassle, it might be worth it to get a cheaper or prepaid Verizon plan... you won't get deprioritized, and Straight Talk has a bad reputation for unhelpful/unknowledgeable customer service. Or you could just keep the 6 Pro for another year and upgrade to the 8, since the 7's don't seem to be working with Straight Talk very well, if at all.

And your SIM is not "locked" to your P6Pro... that's a perfect example of Straight Talk's ineptitude. That ineptitude is probably a good part of the reason pixel 7's aren't working well on their network. This sounds like a headache in the making unfortunately :-\