Dbrand, what exactly do I need to order?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Do I order front, back, glass? What pieces do I need ? I can't tell from the website...

Whatever you want, but don't get the front if you'll be using a screen protector. For the back you'll either want to get just the glass or just the back - not both (the glass is new - I'd have just gone with it when I ordered if it had been available, looks really good in the mockup on a black Pixel with black carbon fiber!!). I went with the full leather back with the colored Google logo.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Whatever you want, but don't get the front if you'll be using a screen protector. For the back you'll either want to get just the glass or just the back - not both (the glass is new - I'd have just gone with it when I ordered if it had been available, looks really good in the mockup on a black Pixel with black carbon fiber!!). I went with the full leather back with the colored Google logo.
So the "glass" version, does it COVER the glass or leave it exposed?

Also, I've had skins before but not dbrand. Does it have coverage for the sides and top with cutouts and do those come with the "front" version or the "back" version?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So the "glass" version, does it COVER the glass or leave it exposed?

Also, I've had skins before but not dbrand. Does it have coverage for the sides and top with cutouts and do those come with the "front" version or the "back" version?

The configurator on the site shows what the phone should look like with what you choose (except the front - looks like that's bugged at the moment).

So the back appears to cover only the back glass, with cutouts for the FPS, camera, and other necessary items

Capture.PNG

I really like that option as it maintains the dual-tone styling of the Pixel while protecting the glass. Of course, the full back will offer scatch protection for the full metal body of the back. It appears to wrap around all but the front glass of the device, with cutouts for buttons and ports. I should have mine within a week to be able to confirm, but others may be able to give insight sooner.

Capture.PNG

Note that the back of the device is shown two ways: one with full coverage, another with the band at the top and bottom uncovered. Dbrand indicated in an email responding to my inquiry about that that they shipped both. I personally like the 'banded' look, but would never go that way as it would still leave a strip of the back glass unprotected.

Oh, and I didn't configure it that way when I snagged that image from their site, but you have the option of having the "G" logo cutout (and you can get a colored insert for it if you like). I will say that on my Nexus 6, which had the "M" cutout, while it was very durable and adhesive, after about a year the 'v' point in the middle of the 'M" lifted up a bit, so if you're really picky, you might opt not for the "G" cutout as the same could happen to its interior over time - though to be fair, the "M" was located right where my index finger held the phone so had a lot more persistent touches.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The configurator on the site shows what the phone should look like with what you choose (except the front - looks like that's bugged at the moment).

So the back appears to cover only the back glass, with cutouts for the FPS, camera, and other necessary items

View attachment 244979

I really like that option as it maintains the dual-tone styling of the Pixel while protecting the glass. Of course, the full back will offer scatch protection for the full metal body of the back. It appears to wrap around all but the front glass of the device, with cutouts for buttons and ports. I should have mine within a week to be able to confirm, but others may be able to give insight sooner.

View attachment 244980

Note that the back of the device is shown two ways: one with full coverage, another with the band at the top and bottom uncovered. Dbrand indicated in an email responding to my inquiry about that that they shipped both. I personally like the 'banded' look, but would never go that way as it would still leave a strip of the back glass unprotected.

Oh, and I didn't configure it that way when I snagged that image from their site, but you have the option of having the "G" logo cutout (and you can get a colored insert for it if you like). I will say that on my Nexus 6, which had the "M" cutout, while it was very durable and adhesive, after about a year the 'v' point in the middle of the 'M" lifted up a bit, so if you're really picky, you might opt not for the "G" cutout as the same could happen to its interior over time - though to be fair, the "M" was located right where my index finger held the phone so had a lot more persistent touches.
Thank you for this very detailed response! I want the white leather but wasn't sure what it covered. I should have used the black device in my rendering and I would have been able to tell... I have never had metal on a device and I will get super hacked off if it gets scratches... How long does it take to arrive?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this very detailed response! I want the white leather but wasn't sure what it covered. I should have used the black device in my rendering and I would have been able to tell... I have never had metal on a device and I will get super hacked off if it gets scratches... How long does it take to arrive?

If you don't have a skin or case, it will. Of course, the counter argument is that you won't be able to enjoy the 'premium feel' of the metal if you do... But if you plan on reselling, it's definitely worth protecting as that $10-15 investment can retain an extra $50+ in value for it being in 'new' condition.

I'd guesstimate about a week or so. Looks like they just started shipping their first orders a couple of days ago.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I ordered Oct 18. No updates since. Also ordered a SkinIt product for comparison.

Might want to follow up. Again, I'd ordered for the XL so it's possible those were finished in production faster. I submitted an order the evening of 10/26 and got an immediate order confirmation by email. On 11/1 I received a follow-up email stating my order was "just released from our facility in Toronto" via "USPS First-Class Parcel," and tracking currently shows it en route.

If you've had no update, send them an email or go through their website's online chat - they're very responsive.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Might be the material I ordered hasn't been fabricated. I don't even have the phone yet. So I'm not worried yet.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Where are you guys getting these back glass piece from such as the carbon fiber etc? Anyone done this to a silver pixel xl?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Where are you guys getting these back glass piece from such as the carbon fiber etc? Anyone done this to a silver pixel xl?

Their website has a graphic preview tool that shows you what it will look like with any combination of front/back/back glass/logo skins, and allows you to set the color of your phone and choose from any available skin color/texture to get a pretty accurate idea of what it will look like..

https://dbrand.com/shop/google-pixel-xl-skins?utm_mnsid=UUacUvbUpU5544669#popup-textures

Example of silver Pixel with 'titanium' glass skin:

Capture.JPG

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For those who aren't familiar with just how well these are cut, here's the graphic preview of the Nexus 6 with the dbrand vs my device with the same that's had it on for well over a year of use...

Capture.JPGNexus 6.jpg

They fit absolutely perfectly - which means you have to be very precise in applying them. What I found worked best on the Nexus 6 was to line up the bottom first over the 'nexus' cutout, after which it was just a matter of pivoting it into place. For the Pixels, it would be the same technique but lining it up over the 'pinhole' cutouts for the sensors to the right of the camera and then pivoting to line up with the 'G' cutout, if you opted for it.

The little 'triangle' cut into the top of the 'M' did eventually start to lift so I cut it off, but pretty sure that only happened because it was in the dimple where I always naturally put my index finger when holding the phone. None of the other cutout areas have had any issues.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
dbrand has very good installation videos on their website.

Just got my skins in - pretty quick, shipping, 3 days from notification of shipping to delivery from Canada to SC.

Their website (as of my writing this) doesn't have the video for the Pixel / Pixel XL yet, indicating that the videos for these are set to go up sometime this morning and warning "DO NOT APPLY YOUR SKIN UNTIL THE VIDEO IS LIVE. The installation procedure is not complicated, but it requires very specific instructions."

Here's what came in the package:

IMG_20161027_115303.jpg
  • Partial back skin
  • Full back skin
  • Colored Logo parts (I'd expected it to be a single piece instead of 4 components that will have to be individually applied, but so long as it works, I'll be happy)
  • Microfiber cloth
Will post a pic fully installed when I'm done, but going to hold off for the video since it's supposed to be up momentarilyto ensure against my somehow being an *****, though I can't imagine what would be tough with this. Also, their video's are usually creatively entertaining at some key point.

edit - I guess even calling oneself a non-intelligent person is autocensored...

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Whew, that was tougher than I thought! The install videos are up, and you'll definitely want to watch them for the best way to install the wrap. For my first time applying a wrap with multiple tabs, etc, to go around the sides and tops with the intent to make it look seamless, I have no complaints. Took me about 15 minutes in full because I was being very meticulous trying to get it right, and you will need a hairdryer for the install.

Again, note, this is on the Pixel XL, but should essentially be the same for the Pixel.

IMG_20161105_120246.jpgIMG_20161105_120309.jpgIMG_20161105_120359.jpgIMG_20161105_120418.jpgIMG_20161105_120451.jpgIMG_20161105_121600.jpgIMG_20161105_121636.jpg
(sorry couldn't provide better pics - only have one Pixel!)

My results aren't quite perfect on the corners, but I'll have it in a bumper case so I don't personally mind. Something to consider if you'll be skinning yours without a case is that you'll need to be exceedingly careful in installation.

The seam line where the glass meets the rest of the back is visible through the skin - it seems the glass stands out just a hair farther than the rest of the back (and also, seriously Google, the last thing you want to do is push the glass out farther guaranteeing that the glass is constantly in contact with its surroundings, even if it is Gorilla Glass 4, which I'm doubting from viewing video scratch tests and reviews).

Toughest part was getting those tiny slivers for the colored 'G' logo in place. I suggest using fine tweezers (lightly) as it's easier to align them. The video references the package including 8 of each of the 4 slivers of the 'G,' of different sizes so you can match them up properly. Mine included 4 of each, but I had no issues getting a perfect fit.

With the finished result, I finally set about to putting the phone in my RhinoShield CrashGuard bumper case. Not easy. I did manage to get it in, but the front lip of the top left and right corners of the bumper took some working to unfold (from being folded in). Still, it's in, and I'm happy with the look and feel. Were I to do it over, though, I'd have ordered only the back glass cover (which was added as an option later), as the bumper fit is really pushing on being too tight (as I imagine would be the case with some other cases as well).

Worth noting that the bumper case's buttons definitely lack the feel of the phone itself (though no real difference from before or after putting on the skin), or even of the feel from using the phone in many other cases such as Spigen RuggedArmor, and are a bit tougher to press, but the extreme protection it is widely acknowledged to provide is a pretty decent tradeoff.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Nice job! Hair dryer is essential for proper fitting. Results will vary depending on the material ordered. The matte skins are more pliable; so you can smooth out folds etc. The leather I imagine is thicker and has less give. The true color skins are a good balance of hardy material that is also easy to mold to the phone. Its pretty robust too. Doesn't move around or take damage easily.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Whew, that was tougher than I thought! The install videos are up, and you'll definitely want to watch them for the best way to install the wrap. For my first time applying a wrap with multiple tabs, etc, to go around the sides and tops with the intent to make it look seamless, I have no complaints. Took me about 15 minutes in full because I was being very meticulous trying to get it right, and you will need a hairdryer for the install.

Again, note, this is on the Pixel XL, but should essentially be the same for the Pixel.

View attachment 245257View attachment 245258View attachment 245259View attachment 245260View attachment 245261View attachment 245262View attachment 245263
(sorry couldn't provide better pics - only have one Pixel!)

My results aren't quite perfect on the corners, but I'll have it in a bumper case so I don't personally mind. Something to consider if you'll be skinning yours without a case is that you'll need to be exceedingly careful in installation.

The seam line where the glass meets the rest of the back is visible through the skin - it seems the glass stands out just a hair farther than the rest of the back (and also, seriously Google, the last thing you want to do is push the glass out farther guaranteeing that the glass is constantly in contact with its surroundings, even if it is Gorilla Glass 4, which I'm doubting from viewing video scratch tests and reviews).

Toughest part was getting those tiny slivers for the colored 'G' logo in place. I suggest using fine tweezers (lightly) as it's easier to align them. The video references the package including 8 of each of the 4 slivers of the 'G,' of different sizes so you can match them up properly. Mine included 4 of each, but I had no issues getting a perfect fit.

With the finished result, I finally set about to putting the phone in my RhinoShield CrashGuard bumper case. Not easy. I did manage to get it in, but the front lip of the top left and right corners of the bumper took some working to unfold (from being folded in). Still, it's in, and I'm happy with the look and feel. Were I to do it over, though, I'd have ordered only the back glass cover (which was added as an option later), as the bumper fit is really pushing on being too tight (as I imagine would be the case with some other cases as well).

Worth noting that the bumper case's buttons definitely lack the feel of the phone itself (though no real difference from before or after putting on the skin), or even of the feel from using the phone in many other cases such as Spigen RuggedArmor, and are a bit tougher to press, but the extreme protection it is widely acknowledged to provide is a pretty decent tradeoff.

Thanks for sharing the pix. Its the same skin I want to get.