Google confirms Verizon will handle updates

edd23

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
In other words if you want the pure android experience expected from these phones purchase through the Google store NOT Verizon.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Ugh, this is what I didn't want to hear... I keep Verizon because I get a discount through my job as well as their, admittedly, good service but I have a Motorola Droid Turbo that I am still waiting to get updated to Marshmallow ... When you go on VZW's forums and ask the questions, their only response is "Is there a problem with your phone that requires an update, can we help you in a different way?"... Yes, the problem is my phone is running outdated software!!!

The only reason that I was hoping it would be different is that I have such an old, grandfathered plan that I still get discounts to upgrade my phones every 2 years (hell, I still even have unlimited data on my main line)... Now, I'm not sure if I will even bother with this phone at all, is it a gamebreaker enough to warrant having to deal with the inevitable VZW update delays?

Lol..I feel ya completely, I'm in the same boat with the original Turbo. However, I Pixel ordered through Verizon and am taking the risk..hoping Google will interact if long updates persist..

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't recycle phones often (kept last one for 3.5 years; wifes is pushing 4). So I just purchase them outright anymore. It comes out almost about even and does not give Verizon a chance to mess with my plan (which I have a nice discount from work otherwise it would be ridiculously expensive).

If I can buy it directly from Google get all updates FROM Google and not rely on Verizon delaying, suspending or flat out not sending; then this is almost a done deal for me. While maybe more expensive than what some want to buy; NOT relying on Verizon to do anything is worth something to me for sure. They are already lagging behind on my 10 updates which is to be expected.

So I will be watching camera, battery and update reviews and realistically I wont be buying until late Nov or Dec.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Are we sure about this, or speculating?

I'm speculating based on what Google had setup for the Nexus 6 release. It didn't matter if you purchased the Nexus 6 from Verizon or Google. If you put a Verizon sim in the phone, they got to approve your OTA's. Well the major OTA's that is. So right now, with my Unlocked Nexus 6 bought directly from google, at&t gets to approve "Major" OTA's. This would be anything like marshmallow to nougat or if google updated the radio, etc. It's my understanding that google gets to push security updates without carrier approval as long as certain parts of the OS aren't modified. BTW... The OTA's allll technically come from Google. Google is just not allowed to release them until the carrier gives them the green light.

All of this is based on how the Nexus 6 was setup and sold. The carriers were like if we sell the phone we want OTA approvals. I'm just willing to bet that this will be the case for Verizon because they are selling the phone.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
A Google purchased Pixel with a Verizon SIM will have all updates coming directly from Google.

I hope you're right. This was not the case for the Nexus 6. If you purchased your Nexus 6 from Google and inserted a Verizon sim, they were given the ability to approve your OTA's. This was because there was difference between the model sold at Verizon or by Google. This was extremely annoying to me knowing that my google purchased Nexus 6 still had carrier approval.

Just for reference. Nougat is out for Nexus 6, but if you have a Verizon or at&t sim inserted, you're not getting Nougat yet. You will be getting an Oct Security update for Marshmallow.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...support/google-nexus-6-update/&token=urGyNwMX
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....att.com/esupport/article.html&token=QCDQU7ao

Last edited:

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh I wouldn't get so worked up about the Verizon apps. They are probably installed the same way they are on the Nexus 6. Just after setting up your phone, Google Play will detect your carrier sim. It will then go download and install a list of apps the carrier wants on your phone. I can't remember what google called this "feature." For example, my unlocked N6 will detect my at&t sim. Google play with then create an at&t folder and install My at&t and Device Help by at&t. After google play finishes this initial installation it will never do this again unless you factory reset the phone. All the apps can be uninstalled and will not reappear unless you factory reset. This only happens after the phone goes through it's initial setup.

Oh and this list of apps your carrier wants will change. At first Google Play would install my at&t, Device Help, and at&t Visual Voicemail. For some reason at&t removed Visual Voicemail from the list at some point.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
A Google purchased Pixel with a Verizon SIM will have all updates coming directly from Google.

I hope you're right. This was not the case for the Nexus 6. If you purchased your Nexus 6 from Google and inserted a Verizon sim, they were given the ability to approve your OTA's. This was extremely annoying to me knowing that my google purchased Nexus 6 still had carrier approval.

Just for reference. Nougat is out for Nexus 6, but if you have a Verizon or at&t sim inserted, you're not getting Nougat yet. You will be getting an Oct Security update for Marshmallow.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...support/google-nexus-6-update/&token=zAGlk-kB
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....att.com/esupport/article.html&token=YMeZKeHZ

This should be accurate. Not because of the history of the Nexus 6, but because of of locked bootloaders and signed firmware works.

If the Pixel purchased from Verizon has a different model/variant identifier, it should NOT be allowed to have a "Google" firmware flashed to it, because it's not signed for that device. If you did buy it from Verizon, you wouldn't be able to flash anything but the signed firmware for the Verizon variant.

On the flip side, you might be able to flash the Verizon firmware to the one bought through Google, but why would you want to? :p

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
This should be accurate. Not because of the history of the Nexus 6, but because of of locked bootloaders and signed firmware works.

If the Pixel purchased from Verizon has a different model/variant identifier, it should NOT be allowed to have a "Google" firmware flashed to it, because it's not signed for that device. If you did buy it from Verizon, you wouldn't be able to flash anything but the signed firmware for the Verizon variant.

On the flip side, you might be able to flash the Verizon firmware to the one bought through Google, but why would you want to? :p

I agree. I hope this is the case. Which means it's simple. If you don't want Verizon messing with ya OTA's don't by it from Verizon.

pjk3e

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
For my N6 (got from Motorola), I just remove the AT&T sim once the updates are out- let them take, install, etc, and then put the sim back in once it has rebooted. No AT&T. If the Verizon Pixel cannot unlock the bootloader though, that is a major difference

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
For my N6 (got from Motorola), I just remove the AT&T sim once the updates are out- let them take, install, etc, and then put the sim back in once it has rebooted. No AT&T. If the Verizon Pixel cannot unlock the bootloader though, that is a major difference

Yes... You feel my pain. I get around it by side-loading the OTA's from Google. Not perfect but it works. I hope google doesn't bring this crap back with the Pixel. I'm hoping it's as xocomaox suggests and the Pixel Verizon is selling has a different model/variant ID.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon Pixels locked down and updated by them

Are you saying that once you put a Verizon SIM in the Pixel bought directly from Google it will be like having bought the phone from Verizon. All the software updates will have to be approved by Verizon?

"if you want to avoid Verizon holding updates hostage, you can totally pre-order the unlocked version from the Google Store, as it works with all major carriers in the US, including Verizon. The Google Store even offers 24-month no-interest financing options."

That should have answered your question originally.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I hope this is the case. Which means it's simple. If you don't want Verizon messing with ya OTA's don't by it from Verizon.

I'm hearing that Wifi calling and HD voice won't work if you buy from Google and activate on Verizon. Anyone fit any info on this?

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Changed my mind and will go with the pixel xl from Verizon, will choose another device for my customizing probably a 6P with google FI.

Last edited:

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm hearing that Wifi calling and HD voice won't work if you buy from Google and activate on Verizon. Anyone fit any info on this?

Yes, this would have to be answered for me before I would trust buying from Google. I know I've heard this same thing from others and other specific devices. I know people are very carefully saying the device bought from Google "will work on Verizon's network." Ok, it will work, but will you be able to access Advanced Calling so you can use data and VoLTE at the same time? And will you have access to the My Verizon and the Verizon Message plus apps which I do like even if they are bloat? Also, how about the new LTE advanced?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bloatware and updates on Verizons pixels?

whats ever u said is wrong. google gets u the update and not verizon
But Verizon has control on the release timing whenever they get done with them. Security updates direct from Google to the pixels, but all other os system updates thru Verizon and on their release schedule.
Remains to be seen but their past history on promptness gets a big fat "F"!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Guess Google found out who has leverage with VZ. Only Apple can bend the will of Verizon.
Google needs to build interest in the Pixel. So they're willing to cave. Apple is not in the same position with the iPhone. Heck, Apple could turn out utter garbage and iThing fans would still line up on the release date to get their hands on them.

There's some kind of perceived cachet to iThings, amongst many people. Android devices: Not so much. Perhaps the Pixel will change that equation. We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana