Wow! No Google warranty unless phone is purchased in Google Store!!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I understand the 1 year. I was looking for the additional year.

You may well get it anyway without having to spend a dime... Many credit card issuers provide extended warranty at no cost to you. Example for AMEX Skymiles Gold:

Amex Extended Warranty.JPG

Basically an extra year of warranty against defects (wouldn't cover incidental damage, loss, etc. of course) for free. Sadly, most people are completely unaware of this type of benefit. Hope it works for you!

Edit - I haven't had to use AMEX's warranty service in the past, so can't answer the question that "6" brings to mind - how they determine the value of the device. That said, if they're stroking you a check, you're basically still set to use those funds towards a used replacement or towards a newer release, so still seems like a good deal to me. YMMV depending on what, if any, warranty extension and terms your card may provide.

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Verizon offers protection plans for the phone as does google, keep in mind these contracts/policys have changed over the last couple of years, deductables, limited device replacement, refurbushed replacement, if it can not be fixed cash settlement below what you paid for it...look at the policys before you buy, buyer beware.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
With all the news as to why you SHOULDN'T buy the pixel on Verizon, why would you?

I had an unusual situation. I had purchased an Iphone 6S from Verizon. I was past the 14 day return date and 6S prices are tanking. It was much easier for me to order from Verizon. They granted me an exception and I will be able to return the 6S for a refund. ( I initially ordered from Google and was going to just sell the 6S but Google was out of stock until late November and I didn't want to wait)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In addition to all the other factors offered (TL;DR), I'll bet that a non-Verizon branded Pixel will have a higher resale value than a branded one...

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I understand the 1 year. I was looking for the additional year.

Your thread title does not indicate this, nor did your OP.

The Google 2 year warranty (if purchased through them) is cheaper than the VZ one, but you can get one from Verizon ..

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

The point you are responding to though is that some people don't care about the update speed that much. Or, care about it less than they care about other things. Period. Full stop.

To those folks (of which I am one), none of the above genuine concerns, or attitudes matter much at all.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
You can get extended warranties and total phone insurance from Verizon. Don't know if it's better or worse or more expensive or less but it is available. Verizon has the phone available for delivery on the 20th. I have the Note 7 and they are doing this as a kind of trade, since the monthly payments are the same. They credited me for the tax on the Note and will charge the tax on the Pixil. The bloatware on any Verizon phone is easily disabled or removed and they say they have only put 3 things on, one of which is the account management tool. I get wanting to get it from Google, I get demonizing Verizon, but sometimes it is just easier to go with what you already have--Verizon is the only carrier around here that works.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

regateir

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing for me is if you buy from the Google Store you deal with them directly and they have always been great on support to me. I picked up a 6p on sale from somewhere else and now I have to deal with Huawei support. The experience is night and day difference. When I had issues with google I got a replacement quickly, Huawei wants me to wait 2 to 3 weeks. Especially with this phone I suspect google will provide better support since they are trying to build the brand, on verizon you are going to be a very minimally selling phone that they most likely dont care that much about.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, some folks are gluttons for punishment.

Those concerns are of zero concern to me. I'm saying that my values and opinions are different than his and that's ok. That doesn't need to be backed up. It's very basic.

Of course. If you want to close your eyes to common sense and insist on getting less for your money, you are entirely free to do so. Just the thought of having to debloat a pure google phone makes me laugh, but help yourself. Free country, capitalism, that sort of thing.

I do find it funny that the "I dont care about update speed, I am ok with bloatware" crowd is hanging in the Pixel/Nexus area of town. If you didn't care about getting a 'pure' google experience, there are many many better phones on the market than the Pixel. An S7 / S7E is a way better phone in many respects, HTC10 may be a better package as well. Hell, my old Honor 8 had a lot to offer at half the price. A google phone, and the Pixel is about purity - if purity doesn't mean anything to you, you should be shopping elsewhere.

Anyhow, feel free to buy the Pixel from Verizon and pay more to get less. Good luck.

Last edited:

studb

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Many people don't seem to know that most major credit card companies offer cell phone protection for free.
Case in point, I use Wells Fargo (yes, evil fraudulent Wells Fargo) credit card to pay my cell phone bill.
They will cover up to $600 for repairs or replacement to the phone. Even water damage!
You only have to pay a $25 deductible. I've made 3 claims in the past 5 years.
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/

Here's a list of other credit cards offering free cell phone protection.
Banks That Will Pay For Your Broken iPhone - MagnifyMoney

chi-rak

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I see absolutely no reason why anyone would ever buy the phone from Verizon. None.

Personally, I would prefer to purchase from the Google Store. But, it's hard for me to pass up the $300 trade-in value that they are offering for an old iPhone 5 that I have sitting around.

As far as bloatware, it doesn't really apply. I'll uninstall the apps. And I'm not too concerned about timely updates. I bought a Nexus 6 from Verizon a while back and the updates were pretty timely on that phone. I'm not crazy on top of whether it was a day later than Google release, so I can't say for sure. I have other things to worry about, but that's just me.

Im certainly not bashing anyone here. I'm just sharing my own view on the topic. :)

Harsh_Malkani

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Google kinda missed a trick here
Although they want maximum sales through the Google store
I don't think not giving warranty on Verizon or other platforms is a good idea
Besides who would want to buy additional warranty packs
Not to forget this is a premium Google phone and not a low budget android phone

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Of course. If you want to close your eyes to common sense and insist on getting less for your money, you are entirely free to do so. Just the thought of having to debloat a pure google phone makes me laugh, but help yourself. Free country, capitalism, that sort of thing.

I do find it funny that the "I dont care about update speed, I am ok with bloatware" crowd is hanging in the Pixel/Nexus area of town. If you didn't care about getting a 'pure' google experience, there are many many better phones on the market than the Pixel. An S7 / S7E is a way better phone in many respects, HTC10 may be a better package as well. Hell, my old Honor 8 had a lot to offer at half the price. A google phone, and the Pixel is about purity - if purity doesn't mean anything to you, you should be shopping elsewhere.

You're apparently closing your eyes as well. As it's been made pretty clear that the Pixels do not fall in to the same category or family as nexus phones. Nor do they provide a 'pure' Android experience as Google has now provided their own type of skin on top of the Android experience.

But, go ahead and keep trying to make people feel bad for having a different opinion than you.