10-12-2016 03:20 PM
52 123
tools
    Do yourself a favor and Google the definition of the word "similar."

Also, when comparing SIMILARITIES of the phones, we're clearly talking about the front and not the clearly distinctive back.

So go ahead have yourself another giggle.
    Hummmmmm... Lets see here.. All phones have a top bezel and a bottom bezel.. They all have a screen in-between these bezels. They all have sensors arrangements and a camera on the top bezel..

I guess using your analogy, then most phones look like an iPhone.....

But, hold on and back the wagon up.... The top bezel sensor arrangement and camera placement are different...The iPhone has a home button the bottom bezel and the Pixel does not... So are they similar? Umm.... Well..... They both have bezels and they both have a screen that's a fact!... If that makes them look the same to you then coolio I guess, maybe...

Internet tantrums are always funny and entertaining...
    VitaminA and anon(9227267) like this.
    10-12-2016 11:42 AM
    Pixel XL: $769.99
    iPhone 7+: $769.99
    Galaxy s7 edge: $792.00
    Moto Z Force: $720.00
    LG V20: $830.00
    Htc 10: $648.00

I don't really understand where people get the idea that the pixels are wildly more expensive than other flagships....
    You included prices, but not what you get at those prices.

Looking at the Pixel, 1080p is all of a sudden forgivable in flagships?
    10-12-2016 11:45 AM
    Ok then what changed in pixel that people now dont want to buy it. The name??(I would say that foolish to not buy because of a name) the new Google assist feature and the new 3 button or the new shade??

now adding feature to a phone is what people dont want because that changes?? Its the damn price that people are bullish about. you are just trying to sugar coat things
    The name,price,no assistant for Nexus etc. A lot of changes in Googles direction going forward. It's their company they they can do what they want, we can vote with our wallets and do what we want. Me, I'm going to wait for the dust to settle and figure out what I want.........
    Bearcats98 likes this.
    10-12-2016 11:48 AM
    Yup it looks exactly like an iPhone (sarcasm intended) :rolleyes:
    Well, I think you're not being overly forthright here. Turn them over and you'd be surprised. They look VERY similar at a quick glance to me.

The muggles seem to like the Pixel phone-google_pixel_vs_iphone_7_thumb800.jpg
    Yawn, stretch, yawn...

Wiley_11 likes this.
    We can argue all day, but why bother? There are plenty of people who will buy anything at any price and there are plenty of people who won't because they don't see any justification for the high cost.

Arguing isn't going to change any of our minds. Why continue?
    Well, I think you're not being overly forthright here. Turn them over and you'd be surprised ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google_pixel_vs_iphone_7_thumb800.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	242074
    Those look the same to you????? LOL

See my previous post a few up...
    10-12-2016 11:49 AM
    Depending on the screen size, 1080 is probably just fine IMO. On the Note 7 I am returning, I was able to change the resolution from 2K to 1080P from the settings. It was hard for me to tell the difference at all. Also, I got better battery life by doing so.

Now with VR, and for folks who are pixel peepers (pardon the pun), having 2K might matter. But at least for me, I don't think anything over 1080P helps much now outside of VR, as long as the display is great in other ways (color , brightness, etc)

Very true. Those other phones have features the Pixel does not. Whether those missing items matter to the user is a matter of personal preference.
    10-12-2016 11:53 AM
    Those look the same to you????? LOL

See my previous post a few up...
    Yeah, they look the same to me.
    10-12-2016 11:54 AM
    Yeah, they look the same to me.
    Not to me but I guess i look at everything.. Sensor placement, home button or lack thereof ect...
    10-12-2016 11:56 AM
    Hummmmmm... Lets see here.. All phones have a top bezel and a bottom bezel.. They all have a screen in-between these bezels. They all have sensors arrangements and a camera on the top bezel..

I guess using your analogy, then most phones look like an iPhone.....

But, hold on and back the wagon up.... The top bezel sensor arrangement and camera placement are different...The iPhone has a home button the bottom bezel and the Pixel does not... So are they similar? Umm.... Well..... They both have bezels and they both have a screen that's a fact!... If that makes them look the same to you then coolio I guess, maybe...

Internet tantrums are always funny and entertaining...

We'll just pretend these phones don't look strikingly similar while plenty of other phones still have distinctive looks. The Nexus 6P even has a more distinctive look than the Pixel does compared to the iPhone.

And you know that someone making an observation that the phones look similar isn't a bad thing, right? Especially when the iPhone is applauded as being one of the top designed phones. Would you be similarly (did you look up that word yet?) offended if you or your partner was compared to someone else widely considered attractive?
    dsignori likes this.
    .But, hold on and back the wagon up.... The top bezel sensor arrangement and camera placement are different...The iPhone has a home button the bottom bezel and the Pixel does not... So are they similar? Umm.... Well..... They both have bezels and they both have a screen that's a fact!... If that makes them look the same to you then coolio I guess, maybe..
    Squint your eyes a little bit and you will see it!..........
    raqball likes this.
    When does a square look like a circle? When you want it to that's when.. LOL
    10-12-2016 11:57 AM
    Apple sells for the perceived quality and great software experience. I love Android but I love a fluid/fast phone the most. This is what Google is trying to put out there. It's not about keeping pace feature for feature. It's about selling a simple, premium, quality device to the masses. I'd rather a brand new model focus on perfecting the hardware /software and then sprinkle in other features anyway. That's what they'll do from year to year.
    10-12-2016 12:01 PM
    Sensor placement, home button or lack thereof ect...
    Don't be redonkulous nobody is talking about that stuff, I'm sure that changes position on the iThing too from model to model..........
    10-12-2016 12:06 PM
    Well a cow can look like a chicken if you want it to or if you have bad eyesight and forget your contacts, so there is that....

Wiley_11 likes this.
    10-12-2016 12:08 PM
    I'd rather a brand new model focus on perfecting the hardware /software and then sprinkle in other features anyway.
    I agree, to a point. For example, I consider Wireless Charging a table steak now for phones. Basic things that should be present on all phones over a certain price point. So while certain things do matter more than those "extras", like perfecting HW/SW as you mention, there is a certain feature expectation that develops with phones over time, particularly with high end phones.

I guess I would make a distinction between gimmicks or other crazy features like those on Samsung phones sometimes( though I like those anyway), and features that really should be present on high end phones, like Wireless charging. Next year at this time, water proofing will be a table steak too I bet (by that I mean not necessary, but expected, on high end phones).
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    10-12-2016 12:09 PM
    When does a square look like a circle? When you want it to that's when.. LOL

raqball likes this.
    10-12-2016 12:10 PM
    I was watching a video for the Pixels on Google's YouTube channel and I found the response to it quite interesting. The voting for it was over 95% thumbs up. The comments are overwhelmingly positive including a tremendous amount of people saying they plan on switching from iPhone to Pixel.
    I know that's not a scientific poll or an exact indicator of how many people are going to buy the phone, but it is an interesting view of what people outside of the forums here at Hogwarts think of the Pixel.

so I'm not a dev or anything just a reg guy, I choose android as my first smartphone cuz I didnt want one phone. my wife got iPhone for her first. I hate to say it but iPhone software works so much better, I don't know how many times I have had to reboot, factory reset, disable background data, toggle wifi, toggle Bluetooth, etc over the last 5 years. my wife maybe 4 times. so if Google wants to charge the same price as iPhone there software better be flawless, which I know it won't. not threatening to leave, but just saying for that price I expect to have no issues.
    10-12-2016 12:36 PM

Its not about the resolution, its about pixel density. Call me silly, but ill take an easier to drive 1080P screen that looks good over a 1440P screen for the bragging rights.

Also, Pixel has two big things going for it... 24/7 Support and Google Assistant, these may not sound huge on paper to a geek but I can tell you right now that Googles quick support will beat that of Apple and other major flagship companies. Support isn't cheap, maintaining a cutting edge "AI" isn't cheap either. The audience they are going after this phone, will benefit greatly from the support, and the assistant. People need to go outside of their caves more and interact with the general populous. We're not all geeks, we don;t all want to google our problems, some people like the luxury of saying "This is my problem, fix it, thanks"

People get lost in the idea of Google as a whole, this multi billion dollar industry but forget the complications of owning a business, and trying not to violate anti-trust laws while pushing yourself into every market you can.
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    10-12-2016 01:16 PM

I wish the day would come when manufacturers will release a product and not tell us the specs inside of them tbh. Then people will only complain based on merit of what actually wrong not based on perception.

Btw, what's wrong with a 1080p panel on a 5" screen? Just because oems are using qhd doesn't make them a must have. Btw, the pixel XL has a qhd panel and even at that, the average consumer (which are those that actually have the money to buy these) have probably never cared for what type of panel is on their phones because they don't notice the difference and because they frankly WON'T.

The iphone 7 even has a lower res screen than 1080p and they're still plenty bright for the average consumer (which is their target audience) on such a small device. Moreso, you don't see iphone consumers complaining over which screen is acceptable or not. You know why, its because it frankly doesn't matter at this size.
    Even our TV's at home don't even use those.
    10-12-2016 01:30 PM
    The name,price,no assistant for Nexus etc. A lot of changes in Googles direction going forward. It's their company they they can do what they want, we can vote with our wallets and do what we want. Me, I'm going to wait for the dust to settle and figure out what I want.........
    so u r not buying a pixel because nexus dont have google assistant? thats a stupid argument

as a nexus owner i would be pissed to not have google assistant on my phone but when i am looking to buy a Pixel phone i dont care if older phones had a feature or not.

Name? like i said before judging a phone because of a name is silly

and at last it comes to price and that what is the reason why people are not buying it. its just the price
    10-12-2016 01:47 PM

Giving the Pixel a 1080p screen probably wasn't a cost decision. It was much more likely to be a decision based on what will give most Pixel users the best experience. Battery life with the smaller battery would probably be far worse for very small benefit (unless you are using VR) on this 5" phone. Google (like Apple) will be thinking about the big picture rather than the spec sheet (I hope) when they design their phones. That is absolutely worth the money for me and something that has been missing from the Android ecosystem since Motorola stopped making the moto x 2013.
    10-12-2016 01:47 PM
    What happens when you throw them into the same branded case! *GASP*

While I understand the need to "get something different" to me (me, myself and I) its just gotten to the point that I am not just so wired up about "how it looks" (within reason). And while I despise iPhones...I don't care that the Pixel might look similar. As long as the design language does not impede functionality for the most part I am ok with it.
    10-12-2016 02:10 PM
    The Pixel is quite pricey but it looks like it's a solid (i.e high quality) phone.
    10-12-2016 02:39 PM
52 123