The muggles seem to like the Pixel phone

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Well a cow can look like a chicken if you want it to or if you have bad eyesight and forget your contacts, so there is that....

987afc153b53c8ab36fbf24809794a78.jpg

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather a brand new model focus on perfecting the hardware /software and then sprinkle in other features anyway.

I agree, to a point. For example, I consider Wireless Charging a table steak now for phones. Basic things that should be present on all phones over a certain price point. So while certain things do matter more than those "extras", like perfecting HW/SW as you mention, there is a certain feature expectation that develops with phones over time, particularly with high end phones.

I guess I would make a distinction between gimmicks or other crazy features like those on Samsung phones sometimes( though I like those anyway), and features that really should be present on high end phones, like Wireless charging. Next year at this time, water proofing will be a table steak too I bet (by that I mean not necessary, but expected, on high end phones).

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I was watching a video for the Pixels on Google's YouTube channel and I found the response to it quite interesting. The voting for it was over 95% thumbs up. The comments are overwhelmingly positive including a tremendous amount of people saying they plan on switching from iPhone to Pixel.
I know that's not a scientific poll or an exact indicator of how many people are going to buy the phone, but it is an interesting view of what people outside of the forums here at Hogwarts think of the Pixel.

so I'm not a dev or anything just a reg guy, I choose android as my first smartphone cuz I didnt want one phone. my wife got iPhone for her first. I hate to say it but iPhone software works so much better, I don't know how many times I have had to reboot, factory reset, disable background data, toggle wifi, toggle Bluetooth, etc over the last 5 years. my wife maybe 4 times. so if Google wants to charge the same price as iPhone there software better be flawless, which I know it won't. not threatening to leave, but just saying for that price I expect to have no issues.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
You included prices, but not what you get at those prices.

Looking at the Pixel, 1080p is all of a sudden forgivable in flagships?

Its not about the resolution, its about pixel density. Call me silly, but ill take an easier to drive 1080P screen that looks good over a 1440P screen for the bragging rights.

Also, Pixel has two big things going for it... 24/7 Support and Google Assistant, these may not sound huge on paper to a geek but I can tell you right now that Googles quick support will beat that of Apple and other major flagship companies. Support isn't cheap, maintaining a cutting edge "AI" isn't cheap either. The audience they are going after this phone, will benefit greatly from the support, and the assistant. People need to go outside of their caves more and interact with the general populous. We're not all geeks, we don;t all want to google our problems, some people like the luxury of saying "This is my problem, fix it, thanks"

People get lost in the idea of Google as a whole, this multi billion dollar industry but forget the complications of owning a business, and trying not to violate anti-trust laws while pushing yourself into every market you can.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site

I wish the day would come when manufacturers will release a product and not tell us the specs inside of them tbh. Then people will only complain based on merit of what actually wrong not based on perception.

Btw, what's wrong with a 1080p panel on a 5" screen? Just because oems are using qhd doesn't make them a must have. Btw, the pixel XL has a qhd panel and even at that, the average consumer (which are those that actually have the money to buy these) have probably never cared for what type of panel is on their phones because they don't notice the difference and because they frankly WON'T.

The iphone 7 even has a lower res screen than 1080p and they're still plenty bright for the average consumer (which is their target audience) on such a small device. Moreso, you don't see iphone consumers complaining over which screen is acceptable or not. You know why, its because it frankly doesn't matter at this size.
Even our TV's at home don't even use those.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The name,price,no assistant for Nexus etc. A lot of changes in Googles direction going forward. It's their company they they can do what they want, we can vote with our wallets and do what we want. Me, I'm going to wait for the dust to settle and figure out what I want.........:D

so u r not buying a pixel because nexus dont have google assistant? thats a stupid argument

as a nexus owner i would be pissed to not have google assistant on my phone but when i am looking to buy a Pixel phone i dont care if older phones had a feature or not.

Name? like i said before judging a phone because of a name is silly

and at last it comes to price and that what is the reason why people are not buying it. its just the price

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Giving the Pixel a 1080p screen probably wasn't a cost decision. It was much more likely to be a decision based on what will give most Pixel users the best experience. Battery life with the smaller battery would probably be far worse for very small benefit (unless you are using VR) on this 5" phone. Google (like Apple) will be thinking about the big picture rather than the spec sheet (I hope) when they design their phones. That is absolutely worth the money for me and something that has been missing from the Android ecosystem since Motorola stopped making the moto x 2013.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
What happens when you throw them into the same branded case! *GASP*

While I understand the need to "get something different" to me (me, myself and I) its just gotten to the point that I am not just so wired up about "how it looks" (within reason). And while I despise iPhones...I don't care that the Pixel might look similar. As long as the design language does not impede functionality for the most part I am ok with it.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
so u r not buying a pixel because nexus dont have google assistant? thats a stupid argument

as a nexus owner i would be pissed to not have google assistant on my phone but when i am looking to buy a Pixel phone i dont care if older phones had a feature or not.

Name? like i said before judging a phone because of a name is silly

and at last it comes to price and that what is the reason why people are not buying it. its just the price

Seems I went from "sugar coating" to ranting. I don't now where to begin, so I won't..........:confused:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non