Verizon's TV commercials claim Pixel only available on Verizon. Isn't that false advertising?

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Usually this is how marketing goes, if someone claim they are false advertising, they will just claim Verizon is the only US carrier that available to purchase the Pixel.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's TV commercials claim Pixel only available on Verizon.

Isn't that false advertising?

If it's the commercial that's say it's all shot with the Pixel, then at the end it say exclusive to Verizon, well it's true. Verizon is the only Carrier you can walk in their store and purchase the phone.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I used to see these product commercials for Slap Chop or whatever. At the end, the announcer says that the product isn't available in stores so call right away to order. Yet you could walk into WalGreens and the same thing would be on the shelf with a label that says "As Seen on TV". Go figure.

Last edited:

JeanRuse

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
As others have chimed in, technically it's only available through the Verizon carriers. It's available to all carriers by extension of the Google Store, but not officially through the other carriers.

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
It is to an extent. Well, anyway Verizon is the ONLY carrier that carries Pixel. Mix it up with a little marketing and thats how they came up with the claim. I do agree its a litte bit of false advertising, but thats just how marketing works I guess

shebamehr

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Yea I think thats their way of using deceptive language to indicate that they are the only US carrier to sell it, kind of like their stupid "don't be limited by unlimited plans" bs. Just verizon being verizon...

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
And you're surprised? How many US wireless carriers say they are the fastest or have the best coverage?

since Verizon is getting it's own Google with Verizon's software(with OTA updated through Verizon) and obviously a Verizon-specific modem #, Verizon was right to say that it would only be available on Verizon. :)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't know the TV spot, but looking at their site...

Capture.JPG

It's the trade-in savings that allows them to substantiate their claim.

It's easy to infer that they're the only source at all, but that's not technically what they're saying.

Not to poke fun at Verizon (I use them for my hotspot service), but I did get a laugh at how they're touting their having the highest peak speeds on their LTE-A network. Fastest theoretical speeds are nice and all, but the practicalityy of it is that people can't rely on peak speeds they'll likely never see except at 4am in remote areas... Fastest average speed is a much more appreciated stat.