Back glass panel

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Still awaiting my Pixel XL 32GB Black, but dropped by a local Verizon store for a sneak peak. Verizon's personnel were "kind enough" to not even acknowledge my presence for about 15 minutes (after which point I left still not even greeted) but having had plenty of time to play around with them.

One thing I noticed looking at the 5 units they had in display was that the glass panel varied significantly in the degree to which they were flush with the rest of the back.

The silver 32gb Pixel was perfectly flush. You couldn't really feel any seam at all. The black 32, blue 32, and black 128 XL were pretty close but you could feel the difference. The silver 128 XL... Big difference, impossible not to notice.

I'm wondering if there's a lot of variability in general, by configuration, if maybe the QC on adhering the panel wasn't "up to snuff"... Or if the silver 128 was just a production fluke that slipped through.

Comments I've seen in the past that mentioned it seemed to have a consensus it was for all practical purposes perfectly flush, and I don't think I'd have noticed had I not observed the number I did side by side, with the exception of the 128 silver XL, which was both tactilely and visibly jutting out.

Anyone else notice a unit like that, or perhaps get multiple and notice a difference?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My best guess is a combination of two factors: 1. display units aren't meant to be sold, so less emphasis on getting it perfect and 2. errors can happen and if you buy one with such an error, you can exchange it for one that isn't defective.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My best guess is a combination of two factors: 1. display units aren't meant to be sold, so less emphasis on getting it perfect and 2. errors can happen and if you buy one with such an error, you can exchange it for one that isn't defective.
I would assume display units are just the first ones the store unboxed and loaded the demos on... That said, it could be that in applying the security devices the store used the may have lightly compressed the metal part of the back?

And hopefully Google would swap it out (especially if it were significant). If nobody responds that theirs is notably off, it can probably be chalked up to the security devices and an overzealous store associate.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I hope and assume someone will make a screen protector just for the glass back portion..

Apologies for getting a little off topic but I can see scratches in the glass backs future...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep, my silver 128 XL is way noticeable on the bottom of the seem. Not so bad on the tops or the side. I don't actually care because I have it in a case now anyway.

Could be a variation per model, since the parts would be rolling off of different lines. I'll try to swing by a different Verizon tomorrow and see how theirs look.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Eww... It's bad enough thinking about all the germs from other people handling them all day, but knowing where they actually come from has me thinking I need to bring a tub of Purell with me next time I visit a store! :p
No, when carriers get sealed boxes in, We open a few up for display. I didn't mean they are from people who actually bought them and returned them. Lol

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I know that - was responding to your (I hope typo) statement that they "come out of consumer boxers."
Bahaha. They have never taken one from my boxers

My glass is perfectly flush. Also this phone, as has been stated in several reviews, looks much better live than in pictures and renders. I really hated the glass, and was pleasantly surprised when I got my phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Bahaha. They have never taken one from my boxers

My glass is perfectly flush. Also this phone, as has been stated in several reviews, looks much better live than in pictures and renders. I really hated the glass, and was pleasantly surprised when I got my phone.

Which model do you have? One poster above commented that theirs had a noticeable issue, and it was the same model (Silver 128 XL) as the one with which I observed the biggest issue.