[UPDATE] Wifi Assistant Disabled by Verizon

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Wifi Assistant Disabled by Verizon

Mine just showed up 20 minutes ago. I was on a 30 minute phone call, got off, and check again for the 100th time, and it was finally there. As long as you have the latest build and Google Connectivity Services installed/enabled, it will eventually show up. I think for some of us it just took a really really long time (like 23 hours for me). Just be patient, don't factory reset or anything, just wait. I know it sucks but it will show up

Sounds like a Google server issue. I think I would just wait awhile.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Wifi Assistant is disabled on NAE63P. I do not know why. You will need to update to NDE63P (the OTA that was ready when you activated your phone) and wait for a push OTA through connectivity services to unblock the setting. A factory reset can reset the time stamp and let your phone query the service again, but that is no guarantee that you will get the push.

All Google-purchased phones should have Assistant by default, this is for the Verizon version only.

KillerClaw

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site

Pretty sure this needs to be installed for wifi assistant. My Verizon bought Pixel has it installed. I didn't manually install it. It was already installed when I looked for it in the Play store.
In my VPN settings it shows wifi assistant.

http://i.imgur.com/hwpAWgXl.png http://i.imgur.com/o7BBcPpl.png

It doesn't show up in searches for us, and manually going to the store page produces the results I mentioned in the OP. Side-loading the application makes no difference.

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site

Wifi Assistant is disabled on NAE63P. I do not know why. You will need to update to NDE63P (the OTA that was ready when you activated your phone) and wait for a push OTA through connectivity services to unblock the setting. A factory reset can reset the time stamp and let your phone query the service again, but that is no guarantee that you will get the push.

All Google-purchased phones should have Assistant by default, this is for the Verizon version only.

It doesn't work on my non Verizon version... Google's reply was I shouldn't be on 7.1.............

KillerClaw

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site

I am running NDE63P and side-loaded the latest version of Assistant. I still don't have the option. Are you saying we need to wait for verizon to unblock it themselves?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

It doesn't work on my non Verizon version... Google's reply was I shouldn't be on 7.1.............

Don't shoot the messenger :)

I asked some people want was going on because I know someone in the same situation. Regardless of what they told you, you'll get Wifi assistant without doing anything. If you disable other features you may not get it at all.

I am running NDE63P and side-loaded the latest version of Assistant. I still don't have the option. Are you saying we need to wait for verizon to unblock it themselves?

Assistant isn't something you can sideload. It's part of Android and the setting to enable/disable it was blocked on Verizon phones running the NAE63P build. I don't know anybody who knows why it was blocked.

Once you have updated to NDE63P, the forced block was lifted. Since the update was incremental and not a complete system wipe, removing the block does not restore the setting. A push through the network connectivity services will enable the setting again. All phones should get this push to make sure the feature is available asap. Some people got it instantly, others have had to wait. I have no idea how it is scheduled.

The connectivity services app you sideloaded shouldn't hurt anything, but isn't required on a Pixel to use Wifi Assistant. it was developed to help Nexus phones on older versions of Android incorporate some features that Nougat has since baked in.

Verizon has a specific set of features and add-ons for their version. Once the initial sales rush is over and everyone has updated to the NDE build, things should settle down. I imagine Verizon will send a small update (possible a system update or maybe just a silent network update) that makes sure everyone has access to the right things (many verizon users didn't get the three apps they should have on activation).

I'll cut them some slack. Managing their own software this way is something new to them, and there will be some minor road bumps. the alternative is for them to do something like hold back the NDE update and roll everything into it and have Google push it, which anyone who used a Galaxy Nexus can tell you is exactly what we do not want.

If your Verizon Pixel doesn't work the way you think it should, visit a corporate store and let them take care of you.

KillerClaw

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site

Don't shoot the messenger :)

I asked some people want was going on because I know someone in the same situation. Regardless of what they told you, you'll get Wifi assistant without doing anything. If you disable other features you may not get it at all.

Assistant isn't something you can sideload. It's part of Android and the setting to enable/disable it was blocked on Verizon phones running the NAE63P build. I don't know anybody who knows why it was blocked.

Once you have updated to NDE63P, the forced block was lifted. Since the update was incremental and not a complete system wipe, removing the block does not restore the setting. A push through the network connectivity services will enable the setting again. All phones should get this push to make sure the feature is available asap. Some people got it instantly, others have had to wait. I have no idea how it is scheduled.

The connectivity services app you sideloaded shouldn't hurt anything, but isn't required on a Pixel to use Wifi Assistant. it was developed to help Nexus phones on older versions of Android incorporate some features that Nougat has since baked in.

Verizon has a specific set of features and add-ons for their version. Once the initial sales rush is over and everyone has updated to the NDE build, things should settle down. I imagine Verizon will send a small update (possible a system update or maybe just a silent network update) that makes sure everyone has access to the right things (many verizon users didn't get the three apps they should have on activation).

I'll cut them some slack. Managing their own software this way is something new to them, and there will be some minor road bumps. the alternative is for them to do something like hold back the NDE update and roll everything into it and have Google push it, which anyone who used a Galaxy Nexus can tell you is exactly what we do not want.

If your Verizon Pixel doesn't work the way you think it should, visit a corporate store and let them take care of you.

I honestly hope that is the case, I really do. But the fact that both a Google and a Verizon rep had no idea what was going on is both a massive pain and can't really help to verify what you're saying.

And I really doubt any in-store reps would suggest doing much more than a factory wipe, which based on your information wouldn't help anything anyway.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

I honestly hope that is the case, I really do. But the fact that both a Google and a Verizon rep had no idea what was going on is both a massive pain and can't really help to verify what you're saying.

And I really doubt any in-store reps would suggest doing much more than a factory wipe, which based on your information wouldn't help anything anyway.

I hope so, too. Verizon is capable of handling all of this, because it's really much simpler than what they have to do with network management across the country. It's new, so I expect some silly issues. But I also expect them to get quickly resolved.

As for Google support, I certainly hope they quickly learn that it's OK to say "I don't know but I'll try and find someone who does" versus throwing out lame excuses. This issue isn't something they would have been trained how to handle, but knowing what to do when something you don't know how to fix happens is something they should have been trained on. And that sentence couldn't be more confusing, but I think you understand what I'm saying.

KillerClaw

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site

I hope so, too. Verizon is capable of handling all of this, because it's really much simpler than what they have to do with network management across the country. It's new, so I expect some silly issues. But I also expect them to get quickly resolved.

As for Google support, I certainly hope they quickly learn that it's OK to say "I don't know but I'll try and find someone who does" versus throwing out lame excuses. This issue isn't something they would have been trained how to handle, but knowing what to do when something you don't know how to fix happens is something they should have been trained on. And that sentence couldn't be more confusing, but I think you understand what I'm saying.

Well, you were right. It magically seems to have been pushed to my phone. The option appears and everything. I was given a notification asking me if I wanted to turn it on. What annoys me the most is that Google and Verizon had no idea what was going on :/ I'll update the original post.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the Verizon version does have Wifi Assistant....

607b5cf2d552e48b5295c1580f00380b.jpg

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Ah ok, I just read up and it just connects to open wifi networks when cell is bad.

Not just when cell service is bad. If there's an open WiFi nearby, it'll connect and offer a VPN. The WiFi needs to be completely open, it won't do it if there's a captive portal (landing page with agreement to accept).

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wifi assistant is on my Verizon Pixel and is connecting to wifi signal automatically like bright house etc.. if you have cable wifi creds this should work

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

So it sounds as if your device is fine, but a Verizon purchased device won't use WiFi Assistant even if it is used on Project Fi. Glad I didn't buy mine from Verizon.
I never buy a phone through a carrier, always buy unlocked.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

FYI: If you also have Time Warner Cable, you can download their WiFi Finder App from Play Store, and after using your TW sign in, it will hook up to TW WiFi and Hotspots as it finds them around town.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I have a Verizon bought Pixel with a Verizon sim and have WiFi Assistant. Settings>Google>Networking.
Don't know if I did anything different than everyone else, but it was there the first time I checked.

Is everyone on the NDE63P update and rebooted?

I have a phone bought from Verizon, on NDE63P and these instructions worked perfectly for me.

I understand the frustration, but it is funny how fast folks want to throw Verizon under the bus on this phone. The expectation that they are going to block things and deliver a sub par experience just is not panning out.

That said, I hope they follow through with their promise of fast updates. I am enjoying this phone, and it could be a quantum leap for Google and Verizon. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall