Google Pixel - How is your battery life?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I figure it would be a good idea to make two threads. One for Pixel owners and one for Pixel XL owners so they can share their battery stats in the respective spots :).

Pixel owners -- Sound off below!

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Quite Black 32GB Pixel (non-XL) here

And I've been getting ~5 hours of SOT with anywhere from 15-25% battery left with heavy use. WiFi, not so great LTE signal and Bluetooth turned on constantly. (not always connected though) I also have all the "battery draining" apps, like facebook, messenger, kik, etc

So far it seems great. For the size of the phone i'll take it. It's worlds better than my 6P which got maybe 4 hours of SOT if i was lucky.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the Pixel. I had the S6 previously.

Battery life is very good in comparison to an 18mo old S6. I work in a signal challenged building that would kill my S6 practically by lunch, with very little usage. I would have to quick charge it a couple times a day to make it through a workday.

The Pixel makes it all day, and I have 10-15% when I call it a night. Probably only 2.5 SOT, but again, most of my battery gets burned searching for a signal each day. I expect new batteries to perform better, but this is better enough that that cannot be the only explanation. I would call it good to very good battery life.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the Pixel. I had the S6 previously.

Battery life is very good in comparison to an 18mo old S6. I work in a signal challenged building that would kill my S6 practically by lunch, with very little usage. I would have to quick charge it a couple times a day to make it through a workday.

The Pixel makes it all day, and I have 10-15% when I call it a night. Probably only 2.5 SOT, but again, most of my battery gets burned searching for a signal each day. I expect new batteries to perform better, but this is better enough that that cannot be the only explanation. I would call it good to very good battery life.

I keep my phone plugged in at work, I have too. We have such a large wireless network here, my phone constantly gets hit with discovery packets from tons of other devices that keeps the phone "awake". It actually look me a really long time to figure out that it was the cause of my battery drain whenever I was at work.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday when I went to bed I had:
32% 15 hours since full charge with 2:15 SOT

Apparently the phone decided not to charge last night, so I woke up to this:
7% 1 day 0 hours since full charge with 2:16 SOT

All of the app usage showed the same percent as when I went to bed, so why I lost 25% over night when the phone wasn't in use and no apps were running... I have no clue and that is terrible stand by time.

That being said being at 32% when I went to bed is MUCH better than my 5X ever did. I will continue to see how battery life is. It should be known that I am NOT using Google Assistant. I hate how it forces you to see the news in the Google app as it shows news I don't want no matter what I change my settings to and when I dismiss stories it shows them again a few minutes later.

I may eventually try the Nova launcher too since moving from the 5X to the Pixel I apparently lost a row of icons yet the bottom menu and the top build in Google widget (search and date / weather that can't be removed) both take up more space but the other icons are smaller. This Launcher doesn't feel polished yet, wish I could switch back to Google Now launcher.

UtahRoadie

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I plug my phone in every night, has had no trouble making it through the day. I came from an S7 Edge and the only way I got through a day before was because of the wireless charger in my car. What was really cool was the other night I finished the day with 38%, plugged my phone in for the night and it said that it would be at 100% in 31 minutes. I have ordered a type C fast charger for my car for when I want to take longer trips using Waze.

itaintez

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I should have screen shot my usage last night. Heavy usage yesterday and I had 7 hrs of SOT. Never had that before. Off the charger at 5:45a and back on at 11p

tpero

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
My battery life was good the first two days, but not so great today. 22% left after 9 hours. Have done some emails, RSS reading on Press, a little Facebook browsing, and two work conference calls. But screen on time is only 2:20. The amount of wake time coming from the OS seems troubling - is that normal?

Phone: Pixel, 128gb
Network: AT&T
Launcher: Nova

ukoO5sM.png

IEnJMIB.png

49FbIF8.png

ZtpO2jv.png

J_Bone

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
3 days in and my battery life has been great. On my Note 4, if I didn't charge my phone in my office I would usually leave at the end of the day with about 30% left. These last 2 days, with about the same usage, I have only USED about 30%. I know it's early but I'm digging it so far.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Good to see a smaller sized Pixel forum on this topic. I currently have a Droid Turbo 2 and that phone is slightly larger than what I would prefer. Looking forward to seeing battery results -- particularly SOT -- on the smaller Pixel. I really want a better camera as the DT2 camera was worse than Iphone 5 which was several years older technology.

ksc6000#AC

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine is doing okay. I was hoping google could pull a rabbit out the hat compared to other manufacturers. I am getting about 2 and 1/2 hours of screen time over a day and half (40ish hours) with 23% left. I could get an hour more screen time on my z5 compact easily...I know it's got a smaller screen and a lower resolution, but was hoping google could optomize the way apple does considering the iphone 7 with a "tiny" 1900 mah battery can last for a couple days easy with similar usage.

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem with making it through a day 5in pixel. Have a question does anyone charge their pixel all night every nigh did it or will it effect the battery life?? My Nexus 6 I would charge every night but it never made it through a day. I would on rare occasions charge it without the original charger.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
My battery life was good the first two days, but not so great today. 22% left after 9 hours. Have done some emails, RSS reading on Press, a little Facebook browsing, and two work conference calls. But screen on time is only 2:20. The amount of wake time coming from the OS seems troubling - is that normal?

Phone: Pixel, 128gb
Network: AT&T
Launcher: Nova

I see in the picture you are on wifi. Are you using wifi while at work? If so its quite possible you have the same issue I noticed in my environment. In an enterprise environment, many different devices send out all kinds of packets for discovery, machine information etc. I had rooted one of my phones some time ago and used a wake lock application to narrow down what was causing the device to stay awake. It was the wifi, upon further investigation into the particular wake locks, it had to do with network discovery, wmi packets etc throughout the network causing the device to constantly stay awake. There are actually quite a few threads deep in the web about it.

There is not anything you can do about it unfortunately short of not using the wifi while at work. It's not so much an issue with the OS or even the wifi, its just the unfortunate side effect of a large production network.

In my case we have about 10,000 devices on our network. It will literally kill my battery in about 6 hours even just idling on my desk with light use. I've debated making a separate vlan and SSID for my cell phone, but its technically a "customers" network that i work out of so I think that might be frowned upon lol

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone share their experience with battery life when Bluetooth is permanently on? I own a smart watch that I use every day.

I have my huawei watch connected all the time and lg headphones probably 5 hours a day. This is the best battery android phone I have used except the moto z play. I am getting about 6 hours of sot.