Returning Best Buy XL and buying from Google

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I think I am going to return my Best Buy Pixel XL and buy from Google Store.

*Don't have to worry about updates rolling out
*Don't have Verizon model
*Go straight to Google with issues with phone
*Device protection
*Longer period to pay off if I need it 18 months to 24 months (I won't buy still nice to have)

They seem like good ideas to me. Am I being crazy? Phone will be here Thursday/Friday. Which I'm assuming Friday since Thursday is Thanksgiving.

Also I hope they just don't leave phone. I had it sent to my job since no one would be home and didn't want it sitting on my door step.

All good reasons, except for the update reason. The updates come out in random order fashion. If you're lucky, you get your update on day 1; if unlucky, you might be waiting till day 21.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally wouldn't since I'm lazy and that sounds like a lot of work. The Verizon model is the same except it install 3 apps that can be uninstalled.. Otherwise same phone.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Go into settings-apps-toggle system apps-find play services.

Hit the 3 dots in the upper right, uninstall updates.

After a few minutes it should update itself, then within a few more minutes you should see the update
Still no luck. Have the latest play store update but when I check for system updates says I am up to date. Oh well, hopefully soon. ..I'm sticking with Best Buy purchase.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I've gotten zero and there is threads with others stating the same. I'm still on the NDE36N October 5th update.

I thought the updates at the same time was the same as well.

You think my other reasons are valid?

You need to update Google Play Services. The Verizon model seems to be getting updates a little bit faster than many Google variants.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I did. I'm on 10.0.84 Google Play Services

I don't know. I'll just be patient.

Did the update work? Some phones were having trouble getting to the latest version through the play store, so you had to download and install the APK yourself. I found that out after side loading the update.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Did the update work? Some phones were having trouble getting to the latest version through the play store, so you had to download and install the APK yourself. I found that out after side loading the update.
No phone update. Google services worked. I disabled and then go the option to install Google play services update. Never got a phone update though. Keeps saying my phone is up to date. Ah well.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
At this point you should consider just sideloadng the Update. Do a google search for Google Pixel /Nexus OTA images and out should take you to the page where to disclose the image, remember to download the correct one, ends in X.

You just need a PC and to download the adb tool to your PC and follow the easy instructions, in less than 5 minutes you should have your phone updated.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
No phone update. Google services worked. I disabled and then go the option to install Google play services update. Never got a phone update though. Keeps saying my phone is up to date. Ah well.

Are u sure u don't already have it? The updates are pretty seamless now.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to think the phones are identical and the only thing different is the SIM card. I bought mine straight from Google, and the 3 apps showed up as soon as LTE was active. Also, I'm on what I have read is a Verizon specific build (NDE63X).

NokFromApp

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Although I received the update on my BB phone (I was using it on AT&T), I returned it for some of the same reasons you mentioned in your original post. I was also seeing frequent freezes on the phone in the last 2 days that I had it. I then re-ordered from the google store. Bought warranty as well just based on some problems people have been reporting. I'd say buy warranty if possible.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I never did this before. Doesn't cause issues with the warranty or anything?
No, you won't void warranty. It's just a manual way of updating the device rather than waiting for the over the air file to be downloaded then installed by your device. You should know that it takes minimal setup on a PC or Mac - instructions are on the pages provided by Erasat.

Let us know if you have any questions.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to think the phones are identical and the only thing different is the SIM card. I bought mine straight from Google, and the 3 apps showed up as soon as LTE was active. Also, I'm on what I have read is a Verizon specific build (NDE63X).

Besides what srkmagnus explained above, just go to this XDA thread and download the ADB tool package they have there, it will already install and set to your system easily, so after that you just need to have the OTA image file and follow the instructions on the link I provided before. Easy as 1-2-3.

After installing the current update, now you are set for whenever the next one comes, and you don't need to wait for the OTA to arrive, you just need to that link and download the latest images and repeat the flash process.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well I am on verizon

Just an FYI, if you use a Verizon SIM in your Pixel purchased from Google you will get the Verizon firmware.

But since you're buying from Google you should unlock the bootloader and take control of your device so you can have any firmware you want.