New phone on its way, but, is it worth it?

kadmanMusic

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
My Pixel XL is ordered and should ship on January 20th, but with all the posts about issues and problems, is the phone still worth it? Should I cancel my order and wait for some "new year's special" to get a different affordable phone, like the Moto Z, which is as close as you can get to the Pixel?

Thoughts from owners appreciated.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
While some have issues, others dont. I've been using my phone since Christmas and the only issue I have with it is the limited storage due to the size/quality of photos taken (got 32gb storage but I really wanted the blue pixel). I did test all the common issues and have not encountered any to date. I also tried the phone (XL) version at Best Buy and decided it was too big for my liking. I'm content with the smaller pixel.

As someone that had the same doubts as you, just wait for it to ship and play around with it. You do have a 15 day return period if it doesn't work out for you.

Brad Semenick

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had the pixel for about a week, coming from iPhone. And I couldn't be happier. I've dealt with a variety of Android phones including Samsungs and Nexus phones and the Pixel has been the smoothest experience yet, battery life is better than I expected, getting through a day isn't an issue and the software is a pleasure to use!

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My Pixel XL is ordered and should ship on January 20th, but with all the posts about issues and problems, is the phone still worth it? Should I cancel my order and wait for some "new year's special" to get a different affordable phone, like the Moto Z, which is as close as you can get to the Pixel?

Cancel the order. If you have those kind of questions about quality and price or how it compares to other phones....then you really haven't thought things through enough. You seem to have ordered based on hype and are not sure if this phone is for you.
Cancel it and do more research or get the Moto Z....it's a nice phone too :)

kadmanMusic

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I ordered it for the camera, software, and battery. The Moto Z seems like a solid phone, very similar to my Droid Turbo 2, but with mods, which I care nothing about because I don't feel like dumping $80 for a clip on battery, when I can easily just plug it in before I go somewhere. Plus, if mods don't catch on, it's a pretty useless option. The Pixel definitely seems like a better phone (and even has a headphone jack), but I got worried as the problem-threads seemed to grown post-order.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

The only one who can decide if it is worth it is YOU. The only way you can make that decision is to use the phone and see if it suits YOUR needs. Sounds to me like you already have a negative "vibe" towards the Pixel. You gotta do what makes YOU comfortable.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I ordered it for the camera, software, and battery. The Moto Z seems like a solid phone, very similar to my Droid Turbo 2, but with mods, which I care nothing about because I don't feel like dumping $80 for a clip on battery, when I can easily just plug it in before I go somewhere. Plus, if mods don't catch on, it's a pretty useless option. The Pixel definitely seems like a better phone (and even has a headphone jack), but I got worried as the problem-threads seemed to grown post-order.
This happens after every new phone is released. People post their problems on forums like this one. They seem like a lot of them but in reality their are in the minority. Most of the pixel owners will not take the time to post here how happy they are. They will just use their phone in anonymity. The pixel.is a great phone. But some have had problems with it. This happens with every new phone that is released.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Love my XL. Not disappointed at all. It's fast, smooth, has great battery life and takes great pictures. I did have some issues with Sync in my Explorer but those seem to have been cleared up with the 7.1.1 update. Great overall phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If you go into any phone section on this board you will find issues with every phone. There is no perfect phone and sometimes people get duds. Hell my first Pixel XL died on me (literally) within a few days for no reason... So I got a lemon. Google rushed one out to me within a few days and this one has been rocking just fine :).

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Preordered mine day one and have experienced none of the so called issues. Been damn near perfect since day one.

skinnytoo201

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Really Blue XL since I received it a day early from pre-order. Best device ever and I've had Almont every flagship device out there. Just recently have had the S7 edge, Note 7, Moto Z Force and V20. My XL runs circles around all of em except battery on the Z Force. In all other instances... Camera, performance, battery, butter, nougat, etc. Nothing touches the Pixel!!

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Started with a Pixel from my S7E. Went to a Pixel XL. Back to my Pixel and sold XL. Only due to size. I prefer the Pixel.

My Pixel has run buttery smooth. Camera is awesome. Battery is unbelievable. Best Android phone I have ever used.

That's been my experience. I hope your time with the Pixel goes at least as good as mine.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I got my Pixel on Day 1 and, like many others on this thread, absolutely love it! Gotta be the best device I've ever carried. I buy technology for what it can do for me and the Pixel works really well for me. I use assistant heavily (a lot with Keep), maybe more than any other other feature. Camera is amazing too!:D

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Apparently others have had issues but my wife and I have not. Not one in over two months. Normally my wife will nitpick the smallest things about a phone and I haven't heard a peep from her. She is very pleased.

I like to compare it to a Glock. The looks aren't for everyone but it functions flawlessly.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I've been using Android devices since 2010. I've been using Samsung for the last 4 years. I've had my pixel XL 128 for 2 days and I must say I'm impressed. You can see the reviews for yourself that the this phone is well received. But let's be honest, the test of any phone is how it works 6 months to a year from release. But in the short time I've had it I've never had a smoother phone. The signal strength for phone and data connections are great (on VZW btw) even though I live out in the middle of nowhere. The phone handles a lot of things at once with little to no slow down. I doubt most Android fans would be disappointed.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Cancel the order. If you have those kind of questions about quality and price or how it compares to other phones....then you really haven't thought things through enough. You seem to have ordered based on hype and are not sure if this phone is for you.
Cancel it and do more research or get the Moto Z....it's a nice phone too :)

I felt this way when I ordered mine. I even made a post about it not being a worthy upgrade to the 6P (I tried it out at a Verizon store). After using it extensively, I don't even miss the 6P at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non