How tough is the pixel?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Picked up the pixel today and got the Verizon shell/holster combo case. I almost always get this case with my phones. I noticed it looked a bit strange so I checked the reviews and found that I was right. The top of the case doesn't quite fit because of the wedge shape. Could this cause any damage to the phone. It's already been removed

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't know about this Verizon shell cause my Pixel XL runs at AT& T but if you want a real good case OtterBox Defender is excellent. My Pixel is dress with this OtterBox Defender case.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Picked up the pixel today and got the Verizon shell/holster combo case. I almost always get this case with my phones. I noticed it looked a bit strange so I checked the reviews and found that I was right. The top of the case doesn't quite fit because of the wedge shape. Could this cause any damage to the phone. It's already been removed

The top glass is thinner than paper. Scratches just by looking at it. Don't look at it directly :p haha kidding.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm more worried about it stressing the frame/body. I'm not sure if it truly doesn't fit and it was putting pressure on the sides of the phone or if it was just inconsistent with how the top and bottom looked

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I've insulted mine a few times and even told it "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed." but it hasn't flinched yet. That's tough in my books.

Aside from the glass portion on the back, I find the device to be quite durable.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I don't think the case will cause any damage to the Pixel. Unfortunately since it's not a uniform thickness across the whole device, it makes it a little harder for case manufactures to get things perfect. The screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4 so keys and coins in your pocket won't scratch that. The Plastic part on the back will scratch more easily but i wouldn't worry to much. If you careful where you put the Pixel it should be fine.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally always put a case on my phone. Usually something like a Spigen Neo Hybrid or something of that nature just to offer phones a little more protection. Especially when glass is involved on the back.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want a very slim case and like texture check out Bear Motion cases. They are super thin so they wont provide much more than grip and scratch protection but for me that's about all I was looking for. As far as the actual phone's toughness goes check out the Jerry Rig Everything video. This guy bent a Nexus 6P in half (twice I think?) and could only barely flex the Pixel. It is definitely a tough phone. I came from a 6P and while I never had an issue with it the Pixel feels indestructable by comparison.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4 so keys and coins in your pocket won't scratch that. The Plastic part on the back will scratch more easily but i wouldn't worry to much. If you careful where you put the Pixel it should be fine.

Despite the multitude of reports of the rear shade scratching, according to Google, it is also Gorilla Glass 4, not plastic.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Spigen and Caseology make good cases for most phones including Pixel. Also Luvvitt makes a very nice clear case. Good luck.
For tempered glass I recommend YooTech on Amazon.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Should find a case that's properly designed to fit it, then. I've tried several and they have the proper dimensions to handle the wedge. Seems like an oversight by the Verizon case.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Spigen and Caseology make good cases for most phones including Pixel. Also Luvvitt makes a very nice clear case. Good luck.
For tempered glass I recommend YooTech on Amazon.

I just buy whatever is the best deal at the time. Bought a case for 26 cents and two pack tempered glass screen protector for a buck. Not the most protective but better than nothing.

I have had bad luck with both Spigen and Caseology in the past, especially Spigen.