Best Way To Charge Pixel To Maintain Battery Life

KenwoodUser

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
I have the Pixel and hear so many different opinions concerning maintaining the Pixel's battery life. Since I typically keep my phones 3 years, I would like to maintain the battery life as long as possible.

What is the best way to charge the Pixel to maintain the battery life? Currently, I am maintaining the charge between 30% and 80% using the rapid charger that came with the phone. In other words, when it gets close to 30%, I charge it back up to close to 80%.

Some people say the Google rapid charger will overheat the battery and shorten it's life. They say I should plug it into a regular USB charger, like the one that came with my older iPhone, with a USB cable, and leave it overnight to reach 100%.

I have no idea who is right. I tried reading some technical articles and just got confused.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
The way your charging is scientifically the best way to charge it. Between 20-80% or 30 percent. And thr google charger wont hurt your battery

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Heat is usually one of the bigger enemies to batteries. Fast charging can produce more heat than normal charging, but ignoring this exposure to heat, I am not sure how much you are prolonging the life of your phone.

Personally, I usually charge my phone at 30-40% and top it off. Usually, I notice the battery beginning to degrade at a little over a year from constant use.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you pull off the charger at 80% each time (and don't mind the loss of capacity), and keep it above 20 or 30%, the phone will be long obsolete before the battery starts to show significant wear.

If you go from 30 or so to 100%, you'll probably lose between 10% - 15% capacity (it'll be like a 3000-3100mah battery) in 12 - 18 months.

If you leave the thing on the charger for extended periods when it's fully charged, it'll wear faster, just as it will wear faster if you have a habit of running it down under 10%.

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Another thing that helps is to use a slower charger when possible. If you charge overnight, use a 500ma or 1a charger instead of the stock charger. The slower charge is kinder to the battery and also builds less heat (which is also better).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean daydream is bad for the your battery?
Well, in terms of the dreaded 'best practices', while not bad, it's not good. You look through the technical guides and they actually will say that charging a battery without a load is preferred... I.e. charge turned off.

Granted, that's not exactly convenient.

But daydream doesn't put much of a load on the battery. But if your using that AND the phone's fully charged and on the charger, you're ever so slowly aging your battery faster than without.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non