Pixel WIFi Issues

zombielarkin

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Hey all, first time posting here. I've had my Pixel for around two months, and been having a great time with it until about a week ago. Ever since then, it continually drops it's WiFi connection, this happens regardless of whether I connect to my home WiFi (which works fine with a bunch of other devices) or my work WiFi (which none of my colleagues have had problems with).
Really starting to annoy me as it is really starting to chew through my data, on the rare occasion I can hold a connection then the DL speed fluctuates from anywhere between 200kbps to 16 Mbs (what my home wifi connection normally should give). I'm running on Version 7.1.1 and tried pretty much everything Google Support suggested (safe mode, disabling and re-enabling the connection, resetting both the phone and WiFi router etc) and it didn't do anything, even tried deleting and reinstalling Google Connectivity Services and that didn't help either. So I wondered if any of you had encountered the same problem or had any advice for me.

Thanks in Advance.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Yes I had this exact same problem and nothing ever worked to fix it. Some said it works better if you change to 2.4ghz connection. Others said it works if you change to 5ghz and keep Bluetooth toggled on.
I had zero luck keeping it connected and it ate through my data too.
I traded it in for an iPhone 7+. I couldn't keep turning my data off because people would send me MMS messages and I would have no idea until I went into my message list. It was a deal breaker for me when I ran out of data ten days before my next monthly rollover began.
I had the Pixel XL 32 gb and live in Canada. Wifi was a Rogers modem. Not sure if any of that is relevant but just in case I thought I would throw that out there.
Good luck. I have heard it is a Pixel issue.
It is super frustrating and I feel for you, because it's a great phone otherwise!

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine dropped wifi ALWAYS since I bought the phone...maybe yours has to do with an update or something since it is recent? Just a thought.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Mine can stay connected to wifi if I am like within a foot of the modem but otherwise no. Never had a phone that you had to be right in front of the modem to use wifi before. And it still drops LTE constantly. Some of these phones have really bad connectivity problems. Going sell mine on Swappa when the Galaxy S8 comes out.

ajamudc

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue when I got mine, but it seems like mine was a router issue. My Pixel XL would drop my Wi-Fi connection at home and no other device would do it even my wife's Pixel. I had no problems with my Wi-Fi connection at work. Recently, I happened to change my internet service level. FiOS ran Ethernet instead of coax and gave us a new modem. To my surprise, I haven't dropped Wi-Fi since the change. I still haven't figured out what was causing the initial problem as the Wi-Fi settings for both of the devices are the same as far as I can tell.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue when I got mine, but it seems like mine was a router issue. My Pixel XL would drop my Wi-Fi connection at home and no other device would do it even my wife's Pixel. I had no problems with my Wi-Fi connection at work. Recently, I happened to change my internet service level. FiOS ran Ethernet instead of coax and gave us a new modem. To my surprise, I haven't dropped Wi-Fi since the change. I still haven't figured out what was causing the initial problem as the Wi-Fi settings for both of the devices are the same as far as I can tell.

The wifi range is a substantially better on the newer modem. Recently they upgraded mine from the old Actiontec. If I would have known how much better I would have just bought one a long time ago.............:(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So far I use my Google WiFi router with my AT&T modem... No issues. Wifi around the house at some ridiculous speeds. Stays connected to WiFi and WiFi calling without issue on T-Mobile.

3aced7dcedca13d5e60d5e5468e8400d.jpg

d4787

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Only SMS and MMS have issues. On wifi. Have to turn off and on wifi on phone every time I want to send a message. Other data connections or games or google now have no problem maintaining a connection.

Ronita Majumdar

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi. I had the same problem with my Pixel. Had to take the phone to the service centre. The motherboard was replaced. For some reason, again facing the same thing. So need to visit the service centre again..

Bill Samuel

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. It started last week (no problem before that - have had about 7 months). Then a couple days later, I got the OS upgrade. It continued. So it is not dependent on which version of the OS you have. It is a software change which affects both the current and prior versions of the OS.

I live in a complex with thick concrete walls so I can not get an over-the-air signal but have to rely on wi-fi. People can't reach me due to this bug. Bluetooth does the same thing. Both wi-fi and Bluetooth keep turning off even though they are set in the settings not to. That setting is pure fiction with the current software.

I am going to recommend to people who are considering a new phone not to buy a Pixel because this is such a serious problem, and there is no indication Google cares.

AJBush12

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm still having WiFi issues. I've trouble shooted as much as I can and convinced there has to be something wrong with the phone. It's not my router or wifi password or anything like that because my work iPhone connects and has no issues. Any luck with Google? Any ideas?

wram1

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
In brief: I believe there is something about the Rogers wi-fi routers which prevents some Pixels (and some other phones) from connecting. Changing the wi-fi channel from default setting to an alternate channel seems to fix the problem.

Detail:
Hi - I have a Google Pixel and ran into a wi-fi issue some months ago. I am in Canada and had Rogers service at home and at my office. The phone would try to connect to the wi-fi network, show connected, and would then disconnect after a few seconds. I thought it was a problem with the phone as other devices connected to the wi-fi networks without issue. I went through Google support to exchange the phone but the problem remained with the new phone. So that told me that the problem was not device specific. I tried several changes to modem and router settings and finally found a workaround by changing the channel for the wi-fi network. I did this with the home network and the phone could then stay connected. I made the same change to the work network and the phone could then stay connected.

A couple of other notes:
- A colleague has a Motorola phone which had the same problem connecting to the work wi-fi network. Once I changed the wi-fi channel, his phone stayed connected.
- We experienced this problem with Rogers routers only. The phone stayed connected to other wi-fi networks without problem.

So I believe there is something about the Rogers wi-fi routers which prevents some Pixels (and some other phones) from connecting. Changing the wi-fi channel from default setting to an alternate channel seems to fix the problem.