Glass screen protector, too much?

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Long story short, my wife dropped her phone that had a tempered glass screen protector on it the other day.

Her Pixel XL fell out of her hands about 5 feet off the ground, and while falling hit the corner of the dogs crate.

Tempered glass screen protector was cracked bad, upon removing the screen protector we notice the actual screen glass was fine. Win!

Until we turn on the screen. The panel was broken at the top and over the course of the next two days the screen began to black out.

We received the new replacement unit yesterday, but take a look at her phone.

I am wondering if the screen protector had anything to do with breaking the panel. Did it allow or not allow the phone to flex on impact causing the panel to break?

What do you think?

ea0b12971f1cf3ce29a5d0e1d55a3e61.jpg
243fe1485350c9c4ff9fb3196296d268.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I would think that if the screen took that hard a hit, then had the screen protector not been there, it would have been shattered to bits anyhow.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen was broken by the shock of the phone stopping when it hit the dog crate - the tempered glass protector had nothing to do with it. Actually, tempered glass "protectors" only protect you from sharp glass shards - if you drop the phone on the screen, the protector crumbles (and keeps the screen from staying as long sharp shards). If there's no protector, the screen breaks into long shards and can slice your fingers.

About the only "protection" you get is against scratching the screen. 3 for $10 plastic protectors work just as well, and in total, last longer than 1 glass protector. But the shock of dropping a phone from 5 feet to a hard stop usually breaks the internals of the screen, so it doesn't matter what it's covered with.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That must have been quite the impact/drop! If the "exterior" of the screen was protected, that is one heck of a screen protector!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag