Pixel 2: what's all the fuss?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone is a OPO and my BT headphones are the LG Tone 910's. Is the problem with the phone then as the issue pops up on other brands of headphones I'll wear? Looking online I've come across quite a few other people writing about the frustration of losing connection when putting their phones in their pockets and the music cutting out.
It's dependent on the phone's own bluetooth hardware as well. Even if it supports bluetooth5.0, if the phone hardware is not up to par, then it will skip. No one can really answer your question because you're using an OPPO, and they're not exactly known for premium phones. Even mid range devices from known brands like Sony will have inferior quality bluetooth on mid to low range devices compared to flagships.
A device doesn't need bluetooth 5.0 to have no signal loss. It needs good quality bluetooth transmitter.

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, so are the bluetooth transmitters produced by Qualcomm in their SD socs or does each phone manufacturer design their own BT chips?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, so are the bluetooth transmitters produced by Qualcomm in their SD socs or does each phone manufacturer design their own BT chips?
The BT chips are sourced separately from the SoC AFAIK. I have no proof other than the fact that different phones with same SoCs can have different BT specifications.

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, I was always thinking that the BT was part of the Snapdragon chipset and was implemented by Qualcomm. Definitely makes sense now that all phones are not created equally in regards to Bluetooth quality.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone "upgrade" to the P2? Am I missing something? Same-ish specs and no headphone jack, I consider that a downgrade.

Updated SoC, increased water resistance, camera that blows the original, and everything else, out of the water, best software available on any phone, best security available on any phone, 3 years of guaranteed updates, best fingerprint scanner available on any phone, best USB C port available on any phone (3.1), increase to 64 GB base storage, Google Lens, active edge, dual front facing stereo speakers, BT 5.0 ... yeah, totally the same as last year.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
My phone is a OPO and my BT headphones are the LG Tone 910's. Is the problem with the phone then as the issue pops up on other brands of headphones I'll wear? Looking online I've come across quite a few other people writing about the frustration of losing connection when putting their phones in their pockets and the music cutting out.

Do you mean oneplus One? If so, I’m guessing it’s just because it’s an older phone with older Bluetooth tech. Both your phone and your headphones make a big difference. Gotta sort of find that right combo. Like my first gen Samsung level U have no range and cut out when in my pocket. I got some new cheap amazon headphones with longer range and they work perfectly from wherever, except with my old back up lumia. Lol. Anyway I’m guessing unless the new pixels have Bluetooth issues it would be a better experience for you.

Damu357

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
The headphone jack is a thing of the past, and the current pixels jack is the reason I use Bluetooth, it's horrible.....

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it's a personal choice as to whether or not there's real value in moving to the new Pixel - not so much a slam-dunk.

I came close to ordering a new P2 XL the other morning, but again, the lack of B71, the fact that my OG is flawless in appearance and performance (except BT!), I get instant Google updates for another year and there's no real compelling new features - for me - made it a no-go. I fully realize others are drawn-in more than me on the new features.

It was the possibility that BT is better in the next gen that pushed me to the brink of ordering, but then I wondered how freakin' frustrating it would be if it was still unreliable for many owners. B71 for T-Mo customers may become a central feature if you live in a rural area. I bet next year's Pixel will have it, as will every new '18 flagship.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I think more people still plug in the old fashion way than use Bluetooth. Us old curmudgeons are stubborn. plus Bluetooth never sounds as good imo.

Pixel 2 and 2 xl are including better codecs with bluetooth 5 - so in theory you won't be able to discern the difference between bluetooth and corded anymore.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been asking myself this question since I picked up the OG Pixel earlier this week to get the awesome trade in value on it (bought a like new one for $275 and Google is going to give me $350 for it). This device is pretty awesome with root and AdAway.

Granted I'm coming from an iPhone 7+ so Android feels like a wonderland. I ordered the white P2, so I have some time before it ships and can take my time to decide if I want to keep the order.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the OG Pixel ( Black 128 GB sailfish) for almost a year. I'm happy with it, but.......

I pre ordered the Pixel 2 XL( Panda 128 GB ) on launch day.

I will dual wield them . :)

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys with the bluetooth issues tried setting the Bluetooth AVRCP to 1.6? That solved all my issues, at least in two vehicles with Ford Sync.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38