Navigation keeps minimizing to the home screen

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently noticed that Navigation will randomly minimize to the home screen. It's odd in that some trips it never does it, and other trips is will do it constantly, often every minute or two. It's annoying for a couple of reasons -- primarily because I now have to tap twice on the minimized picture to bring it back to full-screen, and secondly because when it's minimized it doesn't keep the screen on, which will eventually time out and turn off.

I think this just started happening with Android 8, which has been running on my phone for a week or two (? -- I've lost track). I have a Pixel XL on 8.0.0, which reports it's up to date.

In case anyone doesn't know what I mean about the minimized view, here it is:

Screenshot_20171018-111713.jpg

Any idea how to stop it doing this?

Thanks,
Toby.

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
That's the picture in picture mode. To turn it off for maps (or any app that can use it) do the following:

Go to settings
Then Apps & Notifications
Then Advanced
Then Special App Access
Then Picture in Picture
Turn off the ability for maps or any other app.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Done. Awesome, thanks!

Just to satisfy my curiosity, any reason why Android might have been driving the Maps to go pic-in-pic?

Marcia Gill

Oct 14, 2018
Visit site
Hey, I have a Galaxy S8 edge and I've been having the same problem. I went into settings, then apps, then settings in apps, then special access and then picture in picture, then select whatsapp and turned it off, you could do the same for the other apps you're having trouble with also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38