To Root or not to root

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would like to test the stock kernel. If it's not to my liking, I will throw on Franco kernel. After that, I'll probably throw Naptime on it too.

Last edited:

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
In the US all the carrier bloat added will be able to be deleted without root.
On that note I will not be rooting my Pixel. As I'm getting older Google is providing me with a grown up phone.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to decide whether I will or not, myself. I've rooted every phone I've had and ran custom ROMs on them. There's a good chance I'll end up attempting to do so on my Pixel.

But, what's stopping me is that I'd like to be able to play Nintendo's upcoming mobile games, and if their current apps are any indication, they actively try to stop rooted users from playing. I kinda miss playing Pokemon Go. I want to be able to play Super Mario Run, a bit. I know there are some workarounds, but honestly, I'm getting a little tired of having to take extra steps to keep using certain apps every time a developer pushes an update that blocks a root workaround.

That said, the main reason I still root is for ad blocking. I've had ad blocking on my phones for a very long time, and I remember HATING the way mobile ads affected my browsing. So if anything, this will be the big reason I end up rooting again. But, perhaps I'll wait and see just how annoying ads are for a bit. Maybe they've gotten less annoying...?

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to decide whether I will or not, myself. I've rooted every phone I've had and ran custom ROMs on them. There's a good chance I'll end up attempting to do so on my Pixel.

But, what's stopping me is that I'd like to be able to play Nintendo's upcoming mobile games, and if their current apps are any indication, they actively try to stop rooted users from playing. I kinda miss playing Pokemon Go. I want to be able to play Super Mario Run, a bit. I know there are some workarounds, but honestly, I'm getting a little tired of having to take extra steps to keep using certain apps every time a developer pushes an update that blocks a root workaround.

That said, the main reason I still root is for ad blocking. I've had ad blocking on my phones for a very long time, and I remember HATING the way mobile ads affected my browsing. So if anything, this will be the big reason I end up rooting again. But, perhaps I'll wait and see just how annoying ads are for a bit. Maybe they've gotten less annoying...?

No they have actually gotten much worse... It seems like 75% of the Google now stories I read have very obtrusive pop-up apps warning you of viruses etc and you have to close the browser to get rid of them, then re-open the story. I have a non rootable phone now. And that is the number one reason I missed my 6p...Should have my pixel tomorrow...I hope. Come on Google shipppp

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I am wondering if someone can give me the necessary knowledge about rooting my 6p. I want to do it to unlock all the features the pixel has but literally have no idea where to start. how do I do it? What apps should I download? Should I back it up, will it erase all my content? Is it worth it or does it bring about issues? Do I still get updates or at least ways go update it?

Thanks sorry I know so much about tech but nothing about this lol

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I used to root every phone I had starting with the HTC hero. Mainly because of missing features in stock Android, performance improvements from custom kernels and Roms, and the slowness of updates. Most of these are now non-issues for me. Current phone is more than fast enough and there are so many customization apps in the play store. YMMV of course.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I am wondering if someone can give me the necessary knowledge about rooting my 6p. I want to do it to unlock all the features the pixel has but literally have no idea where to start. how do I do it? What apps should I download? Should I back it up, will it erase all my content? Is it worth it or does it bring about issues? Do I still get updates or at least ways go update it?

Thanks sorry I know so much about tech but nothing about this lol

Your post says the 6P?
Here is a link to OEM unlock the 6P and root. It will wipe everything so backup your data.
[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v2.1.4 [U… | Huawei Nexus 6P

If you mean the Pixel.....

Here is a toolkit...but again OEM unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone....
[TOOL] SKIPSOFT ANDROID TOOLKIT -Google Pixe… | Google Pixel XL

Hope this helps.....

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
how do I do it?

There are multiple ways to root. jamezr listed one possible way. Another would be to unlock the bootloader (this will wipe all data) install a custom recovery on the phone, and flash a super user file through recovery.

What apps should I download?

Most of the time an app can't grant root access. The ones that can I don't trust, and are usually temp root anyway.

will it erase all my content?

If the process unlocks the bootloader, yes.

Is it worth it or does it bring about issues?

Rooting can open up many more options. Apps that require root access will be open to you.

Do I still get updates or at least ways go update it?

Updates would be up to you to install. Once you are rooted OTAs will not happen, or if they do they can mess up the OS. (Reflashing the OS isn't hard on a Nexus)

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I had to give up root on my S7, I've learned to live without it but most of the apps I use I paid for and AdBlock plus for the Samsung browser takes care of it there. I've also found that opera mini is good at blocking ads too. Otherwise if there's no bloat i don't have much reason to root these days.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
In the US all the carrier bloat added will be able to be deleted without root.
On that note I will not be rooting my Pixel. As I'm getting older Google is providing me with a grown up phone.

I bought my pixel at my local Verizon store and it didn't have any of their apps installed on the phone.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I had to give up root on my S7, I've learned to live without it but most of the apps I use I paid for and AdBlock plus for the Samsung browser takes care of it there. I've also found that opera mini is good at blocking ads too. Otherwise if there's no bloat i don't have much reason to root these days.
Is the S7 unable to be rooted? As an aside, Chainfire just released a root method for the Pixels last night on XDA.

It works well, but the method was a little different, due to the dual partitions of the Pixel.

Some root apps will need to be updated by their developers before they will work.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I root a phone and use custom roms, any custom roms, I find Google Maps takes too long to find location on startup. I won't put up with that anymore. I think it screws up banking apps too. Phones offer so much now I don't see the reason to bother. The only thing I miss is saving app settings in Titanium. It was fun flashing new roms. They often had great features but I don't have the patience for problems that usually emerged.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Is the S7 unable to be rooted? As an aside, Chainfire just released a root method for the Pixels last night on XDA.

It works well, but the method was a little different, due to the dual partitions of the Pixel.

Some root apps will need to be updated by their developers before they will work.
It can be, I'm on the Sprint version but it just hasn't seemed real stable and there's only like one ROM.