Pixelbook Curiosity

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
In search of another deal, I came upon a factory sealed i7 - 512 GB Storage - 16 GB RAM for $1099, shipping included. This will be my 1st Pixelbook, my 1st Google OS experience, and my 1st time buying from the site.

That's a great deal! I got my new-in-box, factory sealed i7 at $1200 and I thought that was a steal already. Yes, tell us what you think of it once it's in your hands.

Newest thing I've done with mine was flipping on Crostini over the weekend, and adding GIMP as my first Linux app. Thinking of installing Libreoffice as well. I have MS Office 16 (via Crossover), as well as Office 365 (thru work) and a couple of Office apps on Android (Outlook and Teams). My job situation is changing at the end of the year, so I will be deleting and becoming less reliant on MS.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
That's a great deal! I got my new-in-box, factory sealed i7 at $1200 and I thought that was a steal already. Yes, tell us what you think of it once it's in your hands.

Newest thing I've done with mine was flipping on Crostini over the weekend, and adding GIMP as my first Linux app. Thinking of installing Libreoffice as well. I have MS Office 16 (via Crossover), as well as Office 365 (thru work) and a couple of Office apps on Android (Outlook and Teams). My job situation is changing at the end of the year, so I will be deleting and becoming less reliant on MS.

I am anxious to get it up and running. At first I want to keep it a "Chrome OS" as possible for learning purposes. I have an Office 365 subscription and other software I may install later on.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am anxious to get it up and running. At first I want to keep it a "Chrome OS" as possible for learning purposes. I have an Office 365 subscription and other software I may install later on.

This is a wise thing to do, IMO. I know that Chrome OS's support for other OS's app is the siren's song that calls, but the greatest benefit to Chrome OS is in maximizing the use of native Chrome OS apps and extensions.

I currently have only one Windows app installed, and Android apps where needed (primarily for offline capabilities and responsiveness with the Google Pen)... for everything else, I try to push Chrome OS to its limits... which includes the web version of apps.

So rather than install (for example) the Android version of the Facebook or Twitter apps, I'll make an app of the website. This is often superior to the dedicated Android app, more responsive, eliminates the need to "update" the app, and takes up less storage space.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
@WillysJeepMan - 1st of all, great name. Ya' gotta love a Jeep.

My only concern at this point is backing up the machine. Being a Windows user, I use Acronis True Image to back up all my machines to backup drives. Then boot to an Acronis USB drive to restore the drive image.

Knowing nothing about Chrome OS, I have no idea about backing up the OS, or if it is even possible.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
@WillysJeepMan - 1st of all, great name. Ya' gotta love a Jeep.
Thanks! Although I'm currently driving a Jeep Patriot, I love the mid-50's Willy's wagon.

My only concern at this point is backing up the machine. Being a Windows user, I use Acronis True Image to back up all my machines to backup drives. Then boot to an Acronis USB drive to restore the drive image.

Knowing nothing about Chrome OS, I have no idea about backing up the OS, or if it is even possible.
Yeah, that's part of the learning curve. The nice thing about Chrome OS is that you don't have to back up as much as you would under other operating systems.

Any files in the "Google Drive" folder tree in the file manager are automatically stored in the cloud.

All Chrome OS apps and extensions are automatically stored in the cloud. (which is VERY nice because I use Windows and macOS systems and using the Chrome browser on them automatically picks up everything that is compatible)

Any Android apps you install will be connected to your Google account but you will have to make note of which apps you had installed on the PB (in case you do a PowerWash and want to reinstall those apps)

The "Downloads" folder tree will need to be backed up. This is the important tree to focus on backing up. I keep all of my local files in this tree because it is the only one that is commonly accessible by Chrome OS and Android. So I have my vintage magazine, catalog, and comic book scans in this tree because I use an Android cbz/cbr reader to read them.

I also keep my locally stored movies and music there as well because I DON'T want them automatically backed up to my Google Drive.

All of my document files I keep on Google Drive because since they are in Google Docs format those files don't count against my total drive space.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
The PB arrived today. Right after ordering, I noticed it had the UK keyboard layout. A little research and I got links to instructions on how to get it compatible to the US.

Upon opening the box. I found it had ,what I think, is a charger for European plugs. Maybe I should have know the UK Keyboard came with a UK plug set up, but I didn't.

Looking for suggestion to this situation:

Use the charger from the Pixel 3 phone
Get an adapter
Get a US Pixelbook charger

IMG_20181214_154936.jpg

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I found this on the Google Store site - I think they are the same thing - :)

ETA - ordered 1 from the Goolge Store - tired the Pixel charger and @jsarino was correct - "low power charger" message popped up, but did charge the PB

xx.JPG

Last edited:

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Proper charger arrived and I am wondering if it is OK to leave it plugged in when I am not using the PB. With the Surface Pro I leave it hooked up to the charger 24/7, except for the time I use it for "bedtime" surfing, You Tube watching, and game playing.

I will say one thing for the PB, it is sensitive and it is quick. So much to learn - :eek:

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
Proper charger arrived and I am wondering if it is OK to leave it plugged in when I am not using the PB.
I'm pretty sure most modern laptops including the Pixelbook are smart enough to only take "sips" of charge once they're at or near 100%, and don't have any ill effects on the battery from leaving them plugged in all the time. That said, I still feel weird about it and often leave mine unplugged and powered down when not in use.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks jabaa - will use the PB for awhile and see how my "use" "no-use" time shakes out. I'll be wearing the GA key out during the learning experience.