Apps show up google play recommended by friends, what is the information flow?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was on my phone going through google play store, a recommended app showed up because my sister had written a review. What would do you think is information flow that transpired. Is it that she and I have each others email? And anything that someone has written whose email i have in my contacts will then show up? So if i write a review, it will pop up for anyone who has my email? (i don't have g+ so i can't write reviews, but just trying to figure out the flow so i know).

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was on my phone going through google play store, a recommended app showed up because my sister had written a review. What would do you think is information flow that transpired. Is it that she and I have each others email? And anything that someone has written whose email i have in my contacts will then show up? So if i write a review, it will pop up for anyone who has my email? (i don't have g+ so i can't write reviews, but just trying to figure out the flow so i know).

I think the email is the link. Otherwise, if you have friends in G+ (I know you said you don't have it) I think that is the primary source for the suggested apps. Third, Google is a big database, and it can simply use what others have selected for apps to suggest to you.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, since she is in your circle or contacts these recommendations popup

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I think the email is the link. Otherwise, if you have friends in G+ (I know you said you don't have it) I think that is the primary source for the suggested apps. Third, Google is a big database, and it can simply use what others have selected for apps to suggest to you.

Thanks. So is it done sorta like every time I'm logged in and at the Google play store it reads/matches my contacts or would there be some other method?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
That's a scary thought.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Scary is that she put me in her contacts and her photo showed up in my phone. Although not sure when that happens either, is it after any communication or is just our having one or the other as a contact enough. I know when I had to join g+ to order my moto x, (which I deleted after) a bunch of ppl who I'd ever emailed, their photos showed up so I'm assuming its anyone who has your email gets your pic?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. So is it done sorta like every time I'm logged in and at the Google play store it reads/matches my contacts or would there be some other method?

Not sure about that. But remember, at it's core, Google is an advertising company.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about that. But remember, at it's core, Google is an advertising company.

I wonder if they use any and every single person in your contacts. And anyone know can i turn off recommendations? only because it's annoying that she keeps popping up.

Last edited:

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Probably not.

oh damn. can't be having that, i guess i'll have to take her out of my contacts. lol.

----

drat, that didn't work. Took her out of my contacts in both my phone and on my gmail, cleared my gplay cache, signed out of gmail and cleared my gmail cache on my phone, cleared my firefox cache, what did i miss? (Gosh, what if you broke up with someone and their face wouldn't leave your google play app, eep)

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Scary is that she put me in her contacts and her photo showed up in my phone. Although not sure when that happens either, is it after any communication or is just our having one or the other as a contact enough. I know when I had to join g+ to order my moto x, (which I deleted after) a bunch of ppl who I'd ever emailed, their photos showed up so I'm assuming its anyone who has your email gets your pic?

I don't know, but this is why I have no photos of myself online. :/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
wow. deleted my google play, deleted her out of all my contacts and all her emails ever written to me, had to factory reset because i couldn't seem to get my google play store back (and was needing to do so anyway), and it's still there. Have they permanently linked us? Any other suggestions? I might have to email her and tell me to take her out of her own contacts, but she probably won't do it, she likes to be difficult.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Everything you do is tracked these days, and now that Google has made that connection it doesn't matter.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Everything you do is tracked these days, and now that Google has made that connection it doesn't matter.

While i disagree with the overall 'it doesnt matter' philosophy regarding information, profile linking, follow features, etc, the problem before me now is I don't want her showing up on my phone when i go into google play store. Would you want, say, an ex-wife showing up on your phone all the time? lol. No, she's not my ex-wife, just trying to give an example of someone a person might now want showing up every time you go to google play.

And i see now part of the problem could be that google isn't letting me throughly delete her from my contacts in my gmail. I've deleted her, her emails, and my cache, history, etc, And as soon as i type the first 2 letters of her name, up she pops. arrrgh. Just googled and it seems it takes 30 days for the contact to completely be gone.

-----

Praise be, it's gone from google play. When i did my reset i allowed for it to restore my app data, so i did a second reset and unchecked that too. now it seems to be gone. (although strangely my app data *is* backed up). Probably won't be gone for long though. arrgh. Will be so peeved if i have to reset again in 30 days. I guess i'll wait before loading music. :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87