Project Fi

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Google has introduced its network - Project Fi.

https://fi.google.com/about/

It is pretty interesting using a Ting style data allotment but gives you credit for all of the data that you don't use which is pretty nice. Phones can also tap into Sprint and T-Mobile's networks. Obviously, the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 can use access both Sprint and T-Mobile in theory but I wonder what other phones they will support.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of this service, but aside from the fact that I'm stuck on a Verizon contract for a few more months, I'm skeptical about this service for a few reasons. For one, I'm not really sure how T-Mobile and Sprint's signals/ speeds in my area compare to that of Verizon. I don't really know anyone that uses either to give me an idea on it.

I'm also a bit skeptical about the whole integration with wifi if there's a better wifi signal than Sprint or T-Mobile. I'm leery of that because that makes me worry I could hook into a not so secure wifi network without even realizing it.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I signed up as well. I'm currently on a grandfathered, uncapped Sprint account at $85 a month (taxes included). Sprint works well enough at my home and T-Mobile works very well where I play. Looking at my previous year's data usage my new monthly bill should be $40 plus tax. And if I don't use 2 GB of data I'll get money back!

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly all the hotspot connections go through a VPN
https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#wifi-connection-and-calls-2

As both a paranoid person, and someone who isn't super tech-savvy, how secure are VPNs, in general? Can they be hacked fairly easily to steal data and information from? Considering I use my phone for online shopping, online banking, etc., it's hard not to be concerned about that kind of thing, yanno?

Also, would data speeds even be a question? Is "4G LTE" basically going to get the same speeds regardless of if it's Verizon or Sprint or T-Mobile?

Seryozha

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
As both a paranoid person, and someone who isn't super tech-savvy, how secure are VPNs, in general? Can they be hacked fairly easily to steal data and information from? Considering I use my phone for online shopping, online banking, etc., it's hard not to be concerned about that kind of thing, yanno?

Also, would data speeds even be a question? Is "4G LTE" basically going to get the same speeds regardless of if it's Verizon or Sprint or T-Mobile?

VPN's should be encrypted. I'm no expert so i'll leave it up to someone more in the know to give you that answer.

As far as the question about speed, it can vary pretty dramatically based on the provider and the area. I know that I get 2 Mbps on AT&T if i'm lucky and 12 on T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
My wife has a Nexus 6 and loves it. The map says we are in an excellent coverage area. We've had T-Mobile for over 17 years with good service and Kansas City is Sprint's hometown. And, we've had Google Fiber Gigabit internet + TV service for 1 1/2 years and the service has been great. So I have no doubt that Google can pull this off.

Seems like all things considered we are prime candidates for Fi. So of course I put in a request for an invitation for her. I bet we get it pretty quick.

Edit: T-Mobile 4G LTE is pretty quick around here, almost always leaves Verizon and AT&T in the dust. We also have T-Mobile's new 700MHz A-Block Band 12 LTE service. And Sprint has their Spark LTE Advanced service up and running. We're in a terrific position to go Fi.

And yes, no doubt whatsoever that VPN connections will be encrypted.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

thebourbonnflip

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought....if I would port my number from pre-paid t-mobile to Fi, and just to try it out for a month or so, could I port my number back from Fi to t-mobile? I'm thinking it is possible.

Rian P

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
My big question was how tmobile will handle existing customers....according to tmobile I can switch over with no problem at all. We shall see.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress