Project Fi with Google Voice and Obi-100 VOIP Service

zen2go

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I use the Obi-100 VOIP adaptor to get free "landline" service at home through my Google Voice number. The Obi-100 logs into the gVoice servers using my registered account and provides service to my analog home phones - my gVoice number rings those phones by forwarding to "Google Chat" in the phone settings (it also rings in Hangouts on my desktop - I can take the call there using the built-in speakers and mic - I haven't tried this in Hangouts on my Nexus 7, so I don't know if it works there, as well). Outbound calls made from home phones go through gVoice, and display that number to the called party (I can also use the callback feature from the gVoice website, or from clickable phone numbers in the Chrome browser).

So the question is, what happens when Project FI is associated with the same Google account as Google voice? I should be able to forward calls to my gVoice number to the Fi number, just as I now forward them to my cell number. But what happens when the calls are forwarded to "Google Chat" as well - they'll be forwarding to the Obi-100 adaptor, to Hangouts, and to the Fi number, all at the same time, and all associated with the same Google account. I haven't seen any information on this.

Also, the dialer on my Nexus 6 is controlled by the gVoice app - all outbound calls go through gVoice, and are logged on the gVoice service just like home phone calls - and my gVoice number is displayed to the called party (they never see my cell phone number). Does this still work the same way on a Fi connection? What about if the call is initiated on Wifi - will the gVoice app still control the dialer, and use gVoice to route the call? There seems to be an awful lot of information that has not been considered, and is not being provided to prospective Fi users.

Anyone else have concerns about these issues?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I use the Obi-100 VOIP adaptor to get free "landline" service at home through my Google Voice number. The Obi-100 logs into the gVoice servers using my registered account and provides service to my analog home phones - my gVoice number rings those phones by forwarding to "Google Chat" in the phone settings (it also rings in Hangouts on my desktop - I can take the call there using the built-in speakers and mic - I haven't tried this in Hangouts on my Nexus 7, so I don't know if it works there, as well). Outbound calls made from home phones go through gVoice, and display that number to the called party (I can also use the callback feature from the gVoice website, or from clickable phone numbers in the Chrome browser).

So the question is, what happens when Project FI is associated with the same Google account as Google voice? I should be able to forward calls to my gVoice number to the Fi number, just as I now forward them to my cell number. But what happens when the calls are forwarded to "Google Chat" as well - they'll be forwarding to the Obi-100 adaptor, to Hangouts, and to the Fi number, all at the same time, and all associated with the same Google account. I haven't seen any information on this.

Also, the dialer on my Nexus 6 is controlled by the gVoice app - all outbound calls go through gVoice, and are logged on the gVoice service just like home phone calls - and my gVoice number is displayed to the called party (they never see my cell phone number). Does this still work the same way on a Fi connection? What about if the call is initiated on Wifi - will the gVoice app still control the dialer, and use gVoice to route the call? There seems to be an awful lot of information that has not been considered, and is not being provided to prospective Fi users.

Anyone else have concerns about these issues?

It looks like you need two Google accounts to use both Project Fi and Google Voice at the same time.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
It looks like you need two Google accounts to use both Project Fi and Google Voice at the same time.
Seems certain, IF Google Voice is to be useful. It may not be. From the Fi help page Switching from Google Voice to Project Fi:

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6159953?hl=en

"Features that aren’t available on Project Fi
You can’t make or receive calls or access voicemail using Google Talk, Google Voice apps, or Obihai devices."

Key words: You can't make or receive calls...using...Google Voice apps...

It's just not clear if using a GV not associated with your Fi account will work.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have Fi and an obi 202 that was setup with the google voice account I currently use with fi. For whatever reason it's still working with my obi and fi activated.

I have two voice accounts on my obi, one as a "home phone" number and the other is so I can answer calls to my cell from home. I have a distinctive ring setup for the number I use for fi and when that number is called my obi rings that distinctive ring still. Seems everything works as it did pre-fi.

No idea why it still works, haven't found any other people with the same scenario, so I'm as curious as anyone.

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I have an invite to my Gmail account A, which I use for Google Voice with OBi 100. I do not want to loose this capability.
I requested an invite for my Gmail account B. I need to wait now 12 more weeks...

My question is: can I somehow move (port) my GV number from account A to B and continue using it there with my OBi device? This way I can sign up right away for the Fi project.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can port your google voice from account a to account b. However, in my experience with project fi and my obi202 you don't need to if you just want to keep using the obi with your current google voice A account number after moving to fi.

As I mentioned in my previous reply, my obi works on project fi exactly as it did on google voice. You add the account the same way on the obi.

I've deleted the account on my obi a couple times and re-added it and it works to this day, 1 month since activating fi.

TraceHadfield

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I have Google Fi phone service and a Nexus 6 phone. I also have the Obi200 registered to that phone number with Google Fi.

I can receive phone calls on the Obi200, but can not place outgoing calls from the Obi200.

Google merely says it's unsupported.

kiwi_in_kc

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have Google Fi phone service and a Nexus 6 phone. I also have the Obi200 registered to that phone number with Google Fi.

I can receive phone calls on the Obi200, but can not place outgoing calls from the Obi200.

Google merely says it's unsupported.

I have the same symptoms as you. When you make an outbound call, are you getting the message "we could not complete your call, please try again", followed shortly by a switchhook flash sound then dial tone.

kiwi_in_kc

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have Fi and an obi 202 that was setup with the google voice account I currently use with fi. For whatever reason it's still working with my obi and fi activated.....

snip

....No idea why it still works, haven't found any other people with the same scenario, so I'm as curious as anyone.

Is your ObiHai still fully functional with your Project Fi number?

Justin Lee6

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to GoogleFi, and was hoping I could get my number to work on the ObiHai, but I guess not fully. This thread seems to answer a lot of questions I had though.

"I can receive phone calls on the Obi200, but can not place outgoing calls from the Obi200."

Ok, receiving calls is encouraging. I see the drawback is making calls out via the Obi. It sounds as though calling out via my GoogleFi number (which will be a ported carrier number) isn't possible, but the number I'm calling out on isn't that big a deal to me, so long as I have the ability to call out at all via the Obi some other way. I see you can register multiple google voice numbers with Obi. Is it possible to have Google Fi on one account, which is connected to the Obi to just receive incoming calls, then register a second Google Voice account (under another Google Account) to the same Obi to call out from?

It would be like this:
Calls to my ported number -> Rings my cell, and my phones connected to the Obi.
Calls out -> separate number, on a separate google account with google voice.

Can anyone verify if this setup would work?

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can register more than one GV account to the obi, I have 3 registered. One is my project fi number, another is a number used strictly for home phone calls, and the third I use as a fax number I can give out that only rings on my multi function printer.

Justin Lee6

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Ah! Great to hear. So does it sounds like my solution would work? Only limitation is when I call out on my Obi, My other GV number would show on caller ID to whoever I'm calling rather than my Fi (ported) one?

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
That's right, you could use another voip service that will let you spoof your outgoing number to appear as if it's coming from your fi number though.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually used my GV number on my Obi as a backup if my VOIP went down (infrequently but it happens). Now my option is to use my corporate softphone when that happens. Not my preference but it will work. I'd rather have Google Fi... ;)