New To Fi - Looking to Clear up a few things

Joe92t

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Good Morning All, I am a new Fi User with my N6 and wanted to just get clarity on a few items. I was hopeful you guys may be able to shed some light on some things... Also if it matters I'm currently on Android N via the Google Beta Program.

* Is it true that as a new Fi User the service takes time to "Learn" what network is best for your location in a given area? Is it Adaptive? It seems to take time to switch to an alternate provider even if service is poor to non-existant.. Im curious if there is a timeout / delay period before it takes any action..

*Using Hangouts as my Main and Only SMS/MMS App - with Fi I can send / receive from my "Logged into Gmail" account, and no longer need to seperately toggle to the SMS tab to send messages correct? With Verizon if a user was NOT on Hangouts, aka an Iphone User, I would need to go to the SMS Tab separately and send a message - Now I dont?

*How Can I tell if I have WIFI Assistant or if its Working? I do not see any sort of option for it on my phone? Is this just something that ill never see but works in the background?? Also yesterday I was out at Olive Garden which offers free public wifi and my phone did NOT auto connect or do anything extra, it stayed cell data only?

*Is there any reason why I should use the Apps Fi Switch and Signal Spy both? They appear to do the same functions, so Im looking to uninstall one of the two if not needed - unless theres something one does that the other does not...

Other then that things have been pretty seamless.. I use Tasker to automatically put my phone into and out of Airplane mode whenever I connect / Disconnect from my Homes WIFI Network which is really convenient.

I have had to call FI Support a few times, I would give them a solid 3.5 to 4 stars -- While the agents are always extremely polite / nice / courteous and get back to you or answer your call almost immediately, I am unsure of there general knowledge base. I had asked them a question about my service in which the agent proceeded to tell me, well let me look this up for you... It was obvious he was typing into a big seach database to find the answer to my question, versus just knowing the answer already...

Cant fault them though it is a newer service so they may not have everything down, I just felt like anyone could look something up via a search if given the appropriate tools.

Thanks Guys

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
My 2 cents ...

Don't worry about which service it's using. That's kind of the point, right? (Chances are it's on TMo anyway.)

I know Google's sort of trying to push folks to using Messenger over Hangouts, but I'm still using Hangouts (because, dammit, I need my messages to sync), and it works fine. Wife's on an iphone. Haven't missed a text.

When you're connected to Wifi automatically, things will be run through a VPN. So first you'll note that you're connected to a hotspot you didn't manually connect to, and you'll also see a key icon in the notification area.

Joe92t

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just didnt know if there is a way to "test" or know that wifi assistant is functioning, as I dont see any settings for it... Maybe if i go to a starbucks or something it should auto connect and ill know

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe there is a setting for WiFi assistant but, the big trick, the WiFi has to be completely open -- meaning no ToS agreement before you can use the service. As such, it doesn't work for locations such as Starbucks, because you have to agree to their terms before it will work. When it works, it will surprise you when it happens, as it is completely seamless -- there is no notification that it has connected you, you will just notice a key (indicating you are running over Fi's VPN) on your taskbar.

This map shows locations where Fi users have reported having a key and you can add a location if you get a key. So, if there is a reported location near you, you might try going to that place and see if you get a key.

I use Signal Spy, though there is no reason you need to. The big advantage, for me, is that I have quick access to the codes to switch to T-Mobile or Sprint if I believe the other network will work better -- though I rarely do it. Of course, I'm also curious sometimes just to see which network I'm on, as well as which band (for example, if I've switched to T-Mobile's Band 12). For people who don't care which network they are on, just that it works, they likely wouldn't have much interest in these apps.

As for the Fi service "learning", I don't think it does, at least in the way you are thinking. The idea seems to be that Fi will figure which network is stronger at a given time (which can change based on outages, weather, etc.) and switch you accordingly. Having said that, Google is obviously using the information they receive from the Fi app, and from users, to help improve the service and to improve network switching -- particularly things when a network signal may be strong but data is slow.

It is also worth pointing out that Google has now built network monitoring into the Fi app; if you go to the bottom of the page there is a "send feedback" that, when selected, allows Google to monitor your network connection to help them improve the service -- this is completely voluntary. I will say, if you have an issue where you feel Fi did not switch properly, it likely is good to send feedback at that time, so Google can evaluate it.

Joe92t

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the reply, so we do get access to T-Mo's Band 12 (Long Range LTE??) -- Ironically using Signal Spy Ive noticed that most of the time my phone chooses Sprint over Tmobile (that's a shocker!)

Right now im billing for 1 Gig of Data,, which puts my bill with taxes at $33.54 - Im in a fun little challenge of sorts with myself to see if I can drop the bill down into the 20s - That would put me around 600 megs or so of data used for the month which may be possible for me, since im WIFI Heavy.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply, so we do get access to T-Mo's Band 12 (Long Range LTE??) -- Ironically using Signal Spy Ive noticed that most of the time my phone chooses Sprint over Tmobile (that's a shocker!)

Right now im billing for 1 Gig of Data,, which puts my bill with taxes at $33.54 - Im in a fun little challenge of sorts with myself to see if I can drop the bill down into the 20s - That would put me around 600 megs or so of data used for the month which may be possible for me, since im WIFI Heavy.

Yes, you can be connected to T-Mobile's Band 12, no matter which Fi-Compatible Nexus you are using.

I've been on Fi since the start of November, also am on WiFi most of the time, and typically use about 500 MB.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to FI..

I have been on FI since 12/2/2015. My experience..

I used hangouts for my text and call like it but found it hit or miss off wifi Sprint an T-Mobile are good where I live but I find the stock messenger an dialer more reliable been using stock dialer since mid January. Oh and the the stock dialer uses WiFi too call when cellular network is unreachable..

I highly recommend signal spy and if you pony up $0.99 u get pro version. I tells me what iam on and seems to have no impact on battery. Developers are friendly and respond within 24 hrs too issues or any questions..

Fi support is excellent.
My sim was bad they sent me another one I received it in a day and half they gave me $30. Credit for my troubles.

As a whole FI is great I would give it a 9 out of 10..... My average bill is $25.00..

I have 6p now joined FI with N6...

Hope I helped.....

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I use Signal Spy, though there is no reason you need to. The big advantage, for me, is that I have quick access to the codes to switch to T-Mobile or Sprint if I believe the other network will work better -- though I rarely do it. Of course, I'm also curious sometimes just to see which network I'm on, as well as which band (for example, if I've switched to T-Mobile's Band 12). For people who don't care which network they are on, just that it works, they likely wouldn't have much interest in these apps.

This is good to know. Thanks. I'm not on Fi right now, but I will be as soon as I pay off my TMo N6.