No tethering in Canada???????

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Say it ain't so! I am camping in Canada this weekend for the first time since I signed up with Fi and find that tethering doesn't work. I can connect to the hot spot but there is no data. And yes, the phone itself has data. I called Fi several times.... one person told me that tethering did not work in the town where I am, one person said it should work and a third said it does not work in Canada AT ALL.

Anyone else used the phone as a WiFi hot spot while in Canada? If it really does not work, I will cancel... that was a PRIME reason to sign up with Fi in the first place. Good thing I kept my ATT accounnt.... tethering works fine on ATT in Canada.

Paul

Last edited:

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I did some reading and according to the Project Fi account management app, tethering is supposed to work in Canada. BUT....it is $10/GB and that charge is IN ADDITION to the usual $10/GB for US data. I already had the three required settings turned on so still no idea why it does not work. And of course, Google is telling me it is not supposed to work.

I will be cancelling when I get back from my Canadian trip. Even if it worked, $10/GB in Canada on top of US data charges is more expensive than ATT or Tmobile and negates the advantages of Fi for me.

Paul

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
After thinking about it, I realized that even though Google charges separately for Canadian data at $10/GB, I actually only pay for data used so in effect it is the same cost as in the US and my bill would still reflect only data used.

However, no one ever figured out why tethering did not work for me in Canada so I cancelled the service. I had high hopes for Fi but it let me down badly in Canada.

Also, I must have missed it when I researched Fi before I signed up, but calls in Canada are not unlimited like in the US. They are $0.20/minute unless you are on WiFi. I ended up being charged about $4 for my two calls FROM Google support while in Canada ;)

I still think Fi is on to something and I'll be checking in from time to time to see if they straighten out the Canadian tethering thing.

Paul

chickmag11

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from Canada yesterday. Tethering worked fine. In Ontario on the shores of Lake Huron. Although sometimes I lost data service and had to go in/out of airplane mode to recover (not related to tethering.)

Mike

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Then I have no idea why it didn't work for me. And neither did Google. As I said in my previous posts, I got pretty much every possible explanation from Google from "it doesn't work in Canada" to "I don't know why it doesn't work for you". I finally put the phone back on my main provider (ATT) and tethering worked fine.

So I cancelled my service. Maybe I'll try it again next year. Or sooner if they end up subsidizing the new Nexus phone when it arrives. In the mean time, ATT now has a reasonable Canadian data roaming package they will add to most plans for free and Canadian tethering works great, and at full speed.

Paul

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall