android vs RIM/Apple based on phone release's

sunray1985

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I am a blackberry user who is definitely switching platforms. I want to get the Galaxy Nexus when it drops in a couple weeks, hopefully sooner rather than later! My main concern with Android is in addition to the Nexus there is the Razor and about 4 other phones dropping around the same time. I am not someone who switches phones a lot I had storm1 for 18 months storm2 for the last 9 with a bold thrown in for a cpl months to try the keyboard. I like everything the nexus has to offer but will it be supported in 6 months after there are ten new droid phones newer than it.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus is really the only phone that you can count on for support well beyond six months. Google's making moves to improve that with the manufacturers, but if you want to make sure you're supported, you will get a Nexus.

stingray389

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
As Ultravisiter said, the Nexus phones are probably the only android phones that get continous manufacturer support beyond six months. Any other phone, you will probably get one or two maintenance releases to fix bugs, and if you buy a high end android phone, you might get the next OS upgrade, but continued support will come from rooting the phone and using whatever the developer community puts out.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it's safe to say that the RAZR will get pretty good support, but it will still be slower to receive updates than the Nexus. Also, Nexus phones are traditionally more trouble-free, since there isn't an extra layer of OEM software between you and Android.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
As has been said, this is exactly the phone not to worry about. It will get updates straight from Google, at least for the next one or two years.

3-4 if you root n' ROM! :p

sunray1985

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the responses, my next question, as I have been with Blackberry mostly, I have not rooted or jailbroken my phones...I know there is plenty of info already on this topic but do most android owners root their phones? How hard is it to do, and what if any risks come with it?

TonyHoyle

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not really necessary to root - you can do (almost) anything without it (including things that change the OS look - launchers, keyboards, etc. - android is an open API so the things that need root on some other platforms are freely available).

OTOH if you want to, it's extremely easy.. you won't get support from the manufacturer should you so so, but traditionally it hasn't affected hardware guarantees on nexus devices.

Personally I'd leave it a while before doing so, and have a good reason to do it when you do (eg. for my Tablet I only rooted it because Asus f..ed up the wifi configuration and I needed to apply the fix.. beyond that I'd never have bothered).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall