Unable to Screen Mirror to Chromecast with Google TV

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, that caused a flurry of stuff to react on my phone, but unfortunately did not fix the issue.
Hopefully nothing bad , it just resets a apps to default permissions and settings
One more to try , go settings >general management >reset >reset network if that doesn't work go back in that and reset settings

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully nothing bad , it just resets a apps to default permissions and settings
One more to try , go settings >general management >reset >reset network if that doesn't work go back in that and reset settings
Tried. No love. Thanks for your suggestions.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Update, bit the bullet with FDR. Bad news is that I do so much on this phone that it takes a few hours a day, over the course of several days, to get all my accounts and apps set back up from scratch. The good news is that the Google Home app and screen mirroring is working again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Update, bit the bullet with FDR. Bad news is that I do so much on this phone that it takes a few hours a day, over the course of several days, to get all my accounts and apps set back up from scratch. The good news is that the Google Home app and screen mirroring is working again.
Glad the factory reset fix this , so strange :(
Thanks for the update

Wolfe Lupis

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
I also have a SONY TV and just purchased the Chromecast With Google TV.
image.png

I also have a Samsung Note S20.

I have been trying to cast my phone as well as my laptop ( windows 10 ) to this Chromecast and I as well just can't seem to figure out how to make it happen.

I am on the same Wi-Fi. I even connected them together via Bluetooth. Even with them connected on both Bluetooth and Wifi, I'm not getting any available way to cast from my phone.

It's also not working on my Google Pixel 3A XL.

I'm also just as stumped. I really want to simply mirror my Desktop or my Phone at east and just can't seem to make that happen.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I also have a SONY TV and just purchased the Chromecast With Google TV.
View attachment 335321

I also have a Samsung Note S20.

I have been trying to cast my phone as well as my laptop ( windows 10 ) to this Chromecast and I as well just can't seem to figure out how to make it happen.

I am on the same Wi-Fi. I even connected them together via Bluetooth. Even with them connected on both Bluetooth and Wifi, I'm not getting any available way to cast from my phone.

It's also not working on my Google Pixel 3A XL.

I'm also just as stumped. I really want to simply mirror my Desktop or my Phone at east and just can't seem to make that happen.
Do you have the Google Home app? Your Chromecast device should show up in there. Casting is done from compatible apps like Netflix, YouTube, etc. Mirroring is done through the Google Home app. You don't mention which Sony TV you have. Is it one with Google TV built in? Or are you just using your Chromecast with it?

I ran into problems with my main phone (Note 10+) that I fixed with a FDR (ugh), but now both my Sony Tv (with Google TV built in), and my Chromecast with Google TV are working very well with Casting and Mirroring.

Wolfe Lupis

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
Do you have the Google Home app? Your Chromecast device should show up in there. Casting is done from compatible apps like Netflix, YouTube, etc. Mirroring is done through the Google Home app. You don't mention which Sony TV you have. Is it one with Google TV built in? Or are you just using your Chromecast with it?

I ran into problems with my main phone (Note 10+) that I fixed with a FDR (ugh), but now both my Sony Tv (with Google TV built in), and my Chromecast with Google TV are working very well with Casting and Mirroring.

I have the Google Home app on my Samsung S20 and my Google Pixel 3A XL.
This is what I see in the app with the Samsung S20:

The only option that showed up after connecting to it was the " Media " for Spotify or other Music applications.

Screenshot-20210715-101620-Home.jpg

As you can see, there is nothing in this to choose from. I tried setting up a new device many times and nothing ever shows up. I did a FDR specifically on the Chromecast to start over from scratch. After going through all of the setup, I still can't get anything to work.

The Sony TV I have is this one:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-50x690e/specifications

This TV I can technically cast through my Smart TV as an option but I want to be able to do it through the Chromecast specifically.

I used to use the 3rd Gen Chromecast and when we got our new ISP Modem & Router setup:

Spectrum Wave 2 Wifi: ( Wireless Router )
https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/RAC2V1S Sagemcom Wave 2.pdf

Spectrum D3.1 eMTA: ( DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem )
https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Spectrum D3_1 eMTA QIG_manual.pdf

image.png

Our 3rd Gen Chromecast stopped working when we got the new modem/router. We purchased the new Chromecast with Google TV and still experiencing the same issues. We thought maybe the 3rd Gen Chromecast just broke or stopped working but we're having the same issue with this one too.

We used to be able to see the TV in the space from the screenshot above. We would tap on that TV and both be able to cast our phones to it if we wanted. I could also cast my desktop to it with no issue as well using Chrome's "Cast" option from the 3 dots menu. I could do this on PC and from Chrome on my phone if I wanted to as well.

These options no longer work for me and trying to get a device to show up is next to impossible.

I won't be factory resetting my phone at any point during any of these troubleshooting as I don't see the need to really have to do a FDR on my phones at this time.

Last edited:

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the Google Home app on my Samsung S20 and my Google Pixel 3A XL.
This is what I see in the app with the Samsung S20:

The only option that showed up after connecting to it was the " Media " for Spotify or other Music applications.

View attachment 335326

As you can see, there is nothing in this to choose from. I tried setting up a new device many times and nothing ever shows up. I did a FDR specifically on the Chromecast to start over from scratch. After going through all of the setup, I still can't get anything to work.

The Sony TV I have is this one:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-50x690e/specifications

This TV I can technically cast through my Smart TV as an option but I want to be able to do it through the Chromecast specifically.

I used to use the 3rd Gen Chromecast and when we got our new ISP Modem & Router setup:

Spectrum Wave 2 Wifi: ( Wireless Router )
https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/RAC2V1S Sagemcom Wave 2.pdf

Spectrum D3.1 eMTA: ( DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem )
https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Spectrum D3_1 eMTA QIG_manual.pdf

View attachment 335328

Our 3rd Gen Chromecast stopped working when we got the new modem/router. We purchased the new Chromecast with Google TV and still experiencing the same issues. We thought maybe the 3rd Gen Chromecast just broke or stopped working but we're having the same issue with this one too.

We used to be able to see the TV in the space from the screenshot above. We would tap on that TV and both be able to cast our phones to it if we wanted. I could also cast my desktop to it with no issue as well using Chrome's "Cast" option from the 3 dots menu. I could do this on PC and from Chrome on my phone if I wanted to as well.

These options no longer work for me and trying to get a device to show up is next to impossible.

I won't be factory resetting my phone at any point during any of these troubleshooting as I don't see the need to really have to do a FDR on my phones at this time.
I would not recommend a FDR on your phone in your case. Mine was different, because other phones worked, it was just my one phone not working. I couldn't seem to find the issue and resorted to FDR. Yours seems to be some kind of network issue. When you installed your Chromecast, did you perform the setup through your Google Home app on your phone?

Wolfe Lupis

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
I would not recommend a FDR on your phone in your case. Mine was different, because other phones worked, it was just my one phone not working. I couldn't seem to find the issue and resorted to FDR. Yours seems to be some kind of network issue. When you installed your Chromecast, did you perform the setup through your Google Home app on your phone?

I've set it up that way and through the the device itself without Google Home. I've set it up with 2 different Samsung Note S20s and also tried with a Google Pixel 3A XL. All 3 devices are not able to set it up and make it work correctly.

The Google Pixel's used to work a long time ago with the 3rd Gen Chromecasts before we switched to our upgraded Modem/Router from our ISP.

I just want to be able to seamlessly cast from either my phone or desktop like I used to be able to do through it. That option is just non existent for some reason.

What was the utility you used to show the "cast" option in the quick settings by the way? I was looking into that and can't seem to find a legit source that shows the steps on how to achieve that.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I've set it up that way and through the the device itself without Google Home. I've set it up with 2 different Samsung Note S20s and also tried with a Google Pixel 3A XL. All 3 devices are not able to set it up and make it work correctly.

The Google Pixel's used to work a long time ago with the 3rd Gen Chromecasts before we switched to our upgraded Modem/Router from our ISP.

I just want to be able to seamlessly cast from either my phone or desktop like I used to be able to do through it. That option is just non existent for some reason.

What was the utility you used to show the "cast" option in the quick settings by the way? I was looking into that and can't seem to find a legit source that shows the steps on how to achieve that.
It is called Quick Settings. In Play Store.
I used it to add the Cast button to my Quick Settings, but doubt it's going to do anything for you if your phone is not seeing the device. I'm afraid you are stuck sorting out a network issue.

Last edited:

Wolfe Lupis

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
I tried it and that as you stated, did not work.

I managed to get the device back on the account. However, when I tap on it, this is where I usually can cast my phone but the it is unable to be located.

I'm signed into my account via QR Code. Same Wifi Network. This is what I see:

Screenshot-20210715-182039-Home.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy